What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

The Electrician is one of my favorite Alox SAKs! :cool::thumbsup::cool:
I live in Gerald Ford's home town, so I'm often reminded of him because of stuff bearing his name: presidential museum, part of I-196, the Grand Rapids airport, houses in which he used to live, little statues here and there. We have Reeds Lake in East Grand Rapids, but I doubt if that carrier would fit in that lake! 😁 (I've tried to find out through the museum what kind of pocket knife Ford carried, but I've had no luck so far.)

- GT
Thanks GT, it really is a great one. Interesting info on Ford’s home town, thanks for sharing. I’ll see what I can find out about his pocket knife habits next time I’m onboard 🧐

7-DCA9284-791-D-4548-9973-46-A2729-E6863.jpg

102237-B1-578-D-4074-979-C-889230-CBC241.jpg

Whittler and Wood Schrades, and Daado.

Thank you! It is @TK Steingass . I was lucky enough to grab it here in the Knifemaker's market a little while ago. The double hollow grind makes it very hard to get a clean picture of both edges, but if you look carefully, you can start to make out his maker's mark on the top grind. Awesome little blade. The horizontal sheath it came with didn't work well for the way I prefer to carry a fixed blade, but I swapped it into a different vertical one today so I could carry it some. One of my favorite patterns, and the handle on this one is fantastic.

T.K. makes an outstanding knife ....... about the best of the fixed blade crafters on the exchange. I have two of his fine examples and love them both. :thumbsup: 😍

I was expecting this.
Nicer walking weather over by there, so the Kabar and a thick hickory stick oughta make ruffians and riff raff mind their manners.
Nice sheath you’ve got for it. I suppose collectors and museum curators want original g.i. sheaths, but give me one like yours anytime. I’ll send you a pm to ask where you got it.

I have the original sheath too, but, having the horizontal makes a lot of sense plus no wear on the original sheath. Responded to you PM with a link. :thumbsup:😊

I found out that I have some quotes from a couple of weeks ago that I completely forgot about while working on taxes. I'll just throw them out here as an example of my better late than never philosophy.

My grandpa often would tell us about broken arms if he saw me and my brothers messing around trying to crank the F-20. I don't remember ever driving it, and I think the only times my dad ever started it were to move it if it got in the way of something else. I can remember the tractors we had, but I can't really remember when we had them. Before I started high school, Dad bought a brand new Case 630. But I don't know if we kept both the H and M Farmall after that, or traded one of them in (probably the M had more trade-in value) when we got the Case. We also had an Allis-Chalmers with wide-set from wheels (all our other tractors had the "tricycle set-up") that we used mostly for cultivating corn and hauling loaded or empty wagons of hay, straw, haylage, silage, and corn.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

😁🤓

Thanks for the info about your knife! :thumbsup::)

We used to listen to audiobooks in the car on long trips. That's how I found out I'm not a good multitasker. Every time traffic got heavy while we listened to an audiobook, I had to request a rewind to take me back to the part of the book just before traffic density increased; I apparently couldn't drive and listen at the same time. At least I made the smart decision to stop listening to the book, rather than stop paying attention to traffic. 🤓

I also walk a lot, and thought maybe I could listen to music, books, podcasts while walking. But I don't feel safe if I can't hear the cars on the street as I approach an intersection I want to walk across. So I had to abandon my Walkman and my iPod. (This was a LONG time ago! :rolleyes:)

Glad to read that you had an almost complete "reset" from the falling damage before COVID returned. :thumbsup::cool:

That's a very desirable, and nicely matched, pair, Steve! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

😁 Didn't Elvis sing about "Suspicious Minds"?

That's a splendid knife, Jim! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

The Electrician is one of my favorite Alox SAKs! :cool::thumbsup::cool:
I live in Gerald Ford's home town, so I'm often reminded of him because of stuff bearing his name: presidential museum, part of I-196, the Grand Rapids airport, houses in which he used to live, little statues here and there. We have Reeds Lake in East Grand Rapids, but I doubt if that carrier would fit in that lake! 😁 (I've tried to find out through the museum what kind of pocket knife Ford carried, but I've had no luck so far.)

That pair of knives radiates utility and taste, Greg! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

Good-looking bone stag stockman! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I thought on The Porch we had decided to say, "It's got character" when other folks might say, "It's ugly"! :thumbsup:;)

- GT
Cool tractor stories.
No wood for me this Wednesday :)

801-BC6-C6-6-D3-D-469-E-B629-CC6-A1553-A8-C1.gif

Lovely Mikov Fish Knife! 😁👍

I have mine clipped on the off-side of a Double Albert watch chain when I carry/wear a pocket watch. 😇
Makes a dandy watch knife.🥰

I just "wish" they still made them with a carbon steel blade, not just stainless.
The golden fileworked damascus version would also be cool but I think it’s like 1000x expensive 😁

Thanks GT, it really is a great one. Interesting info on Ford’s home town, thanks for sharing. I’ll see what I can find out about his pocket knife habits next time I’m onboard 🧐
I can't imagine what the crew of that ship would know about his knife carries, but who knows? 🤓 I figure he was from a generation of American males who almost all carried some kind of folding knife, and he's the only US president who was an Eagle Scout, so I'll bet he carried a knife. The Gerald R Ford Museum website has a lot of documents online (most of which are scans of typewritten pages from the pre-computer days of Ford's prime). One that I looked at was a list of all the gifts he had received for a specific year while president; I guess that was a required report to help prevent "influence peddling" and related shenanigans. There was a pocket knife listed there, but I don't remember what kind or from whom it came. I should probably look it up again and record it in my "BF Notes" for easier access, now that my internal memory needs frequent external assistance.

Cool tractor stories.
Thanks, Jeff. :) Don't know how accurate the stories are, though. Whenever I get together with my Dad or siblings and we start reminiscing, I find out that many of us have very different memories of the same event! o_O

Case Knife of the Week is an amber bone canoe. (This is actually the 4th canoe I've posted this week: 2 as canoes of the week, my stag/horn knife of the week yesterday was a RR stag canoe, and my Case KotW happens to also be a canoe.)

Colonial/Imperial/Schrade Knife of the Week is a small Imperial serpentine clip/pen jack. It used to belong to my father-in-law, who gave it to my wife when he got a new knife (before I knew either of them). My wife found it in a box one day almost 30 years after we got married, and that's what got me carrying a pocketknife again, 45 years after I stopped carrying a knife daily when I left the dairy farm on which I was raised.

- GT

Back