What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

BBQ.jpg

That's a great-looking knife JP :thumbup: Bon appetit! :)

Wish I could join you for dinner! That looks good. Makes me think of the time my wife innocently attempted to bring a sausage back from Paris. Nothing like being pulled out of the security line for contraband meat! Sad to say some airport worker had a nice bonus for the day.

Back to the Halfrich for me today.
20160821_120253.jpg

I have this one from our friend Markesharp in the pocket today.

Great looking knife, Bob. I love the clip and shield. Is that ebony?
Gorgeous :thumbup:
Thanks, Jack. Hugo is quite handsome isn't he? :D

Carrying three of these four today
c6fb0e8a3f77416096610c93b7a3411c.jpg
What a beautiful selection!
Thanks, Nate!

These two today, Salem Straub mosaic damascus forge welded integral with cocobolo and a Paul Long sheath with shark skin inlay along with a Hidalgo front lock by Jerry Halfrich, Mike Norris "Hornet's Nest" stainless damascus and old growth redwood burl handles, integral frame. Check out Salem on the 3rd season of Forged In Fire this Tuesday.

attachment.php

attachment.php
MT, the Straub piece is one of the most amazing blades I have seen. Congrat's on scoring that beauty !

Y'all have a great day...especially you, Bob. Gotta go to work now, see ya later.

Cool little anvil Gary, Halrich does some nice Amber bone :thumbup:

Thanks, Jerry. The Small Rounder is one of the handiest knives I own, and it's pretty too!
My father in law made that anvil when he was a blacksmith with the New York Central Railroad. My wife and her sister remember playing with it as children.

Wish I could join you for dinner! That looks good. Makes me think of the time my wife innocently attempted to bring a sausage back from Paris. Nothing like being pulled out of the security line for contraband meat! Sad to say some airport worker had a nice bonus for the day.

Back to the Halfrich for me today.
You'd be welcome! Your story remind me when my Ma went to see my sister in Canada. She had brought a magnum of champagne and a Hungarian salami. When the custom officer told her the salami would be burned and the champagne poured into a sink, she asked for a knife and found some plastic glasses and improvised a party with the others travellers. It was a very merry moment, except for the officials! They never found the other bottle and salami that layed in her luggage!

Waiting in the parking lot for the wife ;)

RR_Sowbelly_bw.jpg~original

Rough Rider Sowbelly
G2

Last edited:
Same to you Scruffuk, those covers look like polished obsidian. What is that made of? In any case I've got ab ebony 54 moose coming to me tomorrow and your pics getting me psyched!

Jschenk, you're clearly a man whose not afraid to use a rare knife and that American Whittler looks all the finer for it.
Thanks, I agree, I figured I can't take them with me and my kids will appreciate the worn sentiment...and Lord knows I can't sell them. It was hard to start using the American whittler, but for me it had everything I have been looking for in a knife...well except that next knife over there.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Thanks, Jerry. The Small Rounder is one of the handiest knives I own, and it's pretty too!
My father in law made that anvil when he was a blacksmith with the New York Central Railroad. My wife and her sister remember playing with it as children.

My dad was in a Railway Operating Battalion during WW2 made up mostly of NYC guys, the 721st that served in the CBI theater.

I returned from vacation last weekend. Vacations are wonderful, but I invariably end up working like a dog on my return. I don't even know how many days I've fallen behind in this thread, because the "Search" function thinks the universe ended last Tuesday! Here are many good things I saw while catching up this weekend.

Thank you for your always appreciated words, Gary... That higonokami is super cool... The glove sheath sets it off...
Thanks GT, they were actually joined by a fourth (Dartanian? ;) ), in the form of this MAM picnic knife. I've actually been carrying it since last March, but this is the first proper pic I've taken of it... In the end, I just wore my cap...

Cool Higo my friend
Yes, GT, I have Army guys - two of them that I got from Geocaches (always leave something in trade).

Is the leather wrap on the handle of your higo to give a better grip when holding?
Today for me.

Thanks for the higo comments, Gev & Jack & Dean. Somewhere here, months ago, I saw that someone (davek14?) had made a little leather sleeve for their higonokami, and I happened to have a left-over strap from the webbing of an old baseball glove that seemed about the right size, so I just slapped something together. Its main purposes are to hold the knife closed in my pocket when I carry it, and to give a more comfortable grip on the thin metal edges of the handle when using the knife.
Jack, your picnic MAM looks very useful! Dean, that boys knife is just fabulous!

Two Rendezvous knives today:

CczcmxYh.jpg

What a pair! Bad-to-the-bone heavy metal!

today
28458811553_5cdc8ab919_b.jpg

FBC, I find your Edgemark remarkable!

Took my Rifleman with me today. A Rough Rider Canoe with chequered grip, gifted by our good friend Jack Black.

Stuck with the Rough Rider Canoe for today.

That's beauty, Thom. Will Power gifted me one almost identical to yours, except mine has a more mundane shield than your rifle! I love that checkered bone! And I like your later post, with the background texture that matches the canoe. What's the knife setting on? A cheese grater?? Wood rasp??

A-1 knife, Jfowl31; Lloyd sure does stag the way I like it.

D'oh! Forgot to post mine. I'm still gaga about the IRJ so I'll continue to spam pictures of it today :) The 22 is acting as back up (my phone has had a hard time focusing on this one for some reason).

twgc4xQ.jpg

C36CTaX.jpg
Twin treats, CB; very nice!

I've got two of my most beautiful knives on me today, both of which were very generously gifted to me by a pair of exceptional Porch members. Butterbean (Case Butterbean) came from Mike (Crazy Canuck), and Pirouge (Remington Canoe) came from GT (5K Qs). I'm incredibly fortunate to own these beauties. Thank you, Mike and GT!

7VxPIae.jpg
Those ARE a couple of beauties, Shawn, especially as portrayed in your photo! Glad you like the burl on Pirogue!

Achingly appealing knife, Travman!

Got a nice little hike in last night. Started a quick fire in my wood-stove and brewed some tea for friends, and grabbed this shot.

doukdouk_zpsyzbdj2ja.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Ben, I don't recall your having a Douk Douk in your tea service (but my recall is not what it used to be). How do you like that knife? It will probably be one of the knives I order next time I go on a buying spree.

Hey ladies and gents--just thought I'd stop by the porch and show you my latest acquisition... a Cattaraugus 225Q, it was in great shape (but no sheath); I fixed a couple spots in the handle with waxed thread and epoxy, put a nice edge on it, and put it to work. I'm very impressed--such a great belt knife, not too big or small, tough... lots of character and history. As always, you all post such great pictures; I hope to add to this wonderful thread.
neff9c.jpg
Congrats on that Big Catt, Aias; you've got it looking good (but it's that gorgeous 25 that caught my eye).

I carried a couple of Case whittlers today. A Seahorse and a Half.

kKlFAiKl.jpg

Have a good one!

Ken K.
That's a fancy Seahorse whittler, Ken! There's a lot of lovely bone in that photo!

Oy Vey, Bubka!! That is an astonishing old knife, Gev. Since I saw your pic, I've been thinking about how long it might take for my knives to look like that. I soon realized that I, already in my 60s, probably won't live long enough to see it happen! Gonna have to find some young knife knuts who are willing to take on my accumulation of inexpensive users to finish the "project" once I'm too frail to carry my knives!

Just had this Rough Rider Sowbelly Diamond Jim model, along, riding in the watch pocket, quite handy, mostly boxes today and cutting some labels, that sheepsfoot is keen for that ;)

RR_Sowbelly.jpg~original

G2
Stellar sowbelly, Gary! I admire the way you "tuned it up" to your specs (and I always envy your edges).

Wow! I am way behind on all these great knives posted since my last visit. I have been totin' one of Charlies Gems the last couple of days. There is just something about these 38's, well I will just say that I like it a lot.:D

28573093005_96080a5a3f_b_d.jpg
Hope everyone had a great day!:) I dropped this 48 Improved Trapper in the pocket this morning :D

28356515740_87be6e3993_b_d.jpg
"Gem" seems very appropriate for the 38, Ron; the color of the bone has me thinking ruby, maybe!
And the second photo, from another day, shows a top-shelf trapper! (I like the looks of trappers, but it turns out I don't really like carrying/using them very much - at least not the full-size ones. Looks like you definitely enjoy using yours though!)

Still buzzing from talking to Duncan on the phone last night :) :) Have a great weekend everyone :thumbup: Here's me today, carrying my latest Lambsfoot, a generous gift from Bonzodog, an Arthur Wright in walnut, with file-work on the spring and spine of the blade, and my IXL Barlow :) :thumbup:

Congrats on the new walnut Wright, Jack! That's a pair of impressive (and well-deserved) recent gifts you're sporting!

DSC_0578_zpsdocr3262.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Bullnose today.
Desirable pair of sodbusters, Dave! Who makes that "Mule Skinner"??

Camillus Peanut posing with a new friend. :)
Amazing pics, Rachel; for some reason, I think "cargo plane" every time I look at the grasshopper. Does Austin drug the bugs?? How do you and Gev get creatures to pose with your knives?

Your photos almost always broaden my folding knife horizons! Thanks, sshakari!

MvJuRTU.jpg

Aye, I have a small collection of traditional European knives, and I noticed there'd been a few threads on them recently. I'm off to Lisbon next year and came across these by accident whilst searching for traditional Portugese pocket knives.
2.5 inch slipjoint blade, 440 steel, very dark coloured cowhorn scales, brass liners and bail and a good solid pull on the blade but it's certainly no nail breaker. Some very slight imperfections in fnf but such things don't bother me. 28.64 Euros delivered from Portugal, and it arrived in 4 days. Overall a good solid little knife, especially for the price. Sorry I'd tale more pics but it's as black as pitch here and my cameras barely picking anything out.
Really enjoyed seeing your Portuguese purchase, donn! Thanks for the original photo, and for this follow-up!

Just got this little Case in and boy... it has some ugly scales lol. I soaked it in tea for a couple of hours and that helped mellow it a bit but I think this is a great excuse to try dyeing the bone. Gonna grab some dye this evening and give it a shot but it'll get some pocket time for now.

Before tea:

2WWZHf1.jpg

Gotta agree with your assessment of the covers, CB; first time I saw it, diseased gums came to mind!

I'm heading out to the hills of the English Peak District tomorrow, close to the Yorkshire-Derbyshire border, and then off to one of my favourite Derbyshire pubs for a late lunch. Going to have these three with me ;) Have a great Sunday everyone :thumbup:

Three excellent knives if you're expecting some border skirmishes, Jack! Hope you enjoy your trip!

I took Hugo to work with me today.
29086404816_817140d772_b.jpg
Both knife and leather slip are very satisfying, FBC!!

Fascinating foto, Doctor! Knives, dogs, girls, crops, sky extending to infinity and beyond!!!

Somebody always gotta photobomb. :rolleyes:
:D
Beautiful knives today. Simple SAK Alox for me. We've had a wet summer...the snails don't mind.

image.jpg
[/url]image hosting over 10mb[/IMG]
I always enjoy pics from the knives-and-snails collection!

Wow, that's a lovely jack, Bob. Mark does beautiful work. You're missing a snail, though. :D
It's been raining all week, and I've never seen so many slithering about, so I'd be happy to send you a few. :p
Rachel invents "snail mail".

Those sausages look tasty, but I'm really impressed that you have a plate that goes so well with your new knife!!

Here are a couple of knives I used in the kitchen the past week:
A big stag-and-bone scrimshawed Marbles leg knife
eGvfeuP.jpg

and a JJ Martinez marinera
xpdTTDh.jpg

- GT

Back