What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Today with a Portuguese knife from Martins-Paloçoulo, offered by my work colleagues for my birthday!!!

raxjk9.jpg
2qt8xg6.jpg
1z56ykk.jpg
b6bku9.jpg

Clauss cigar jack today
Voluptuous vintage knife, Nick! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks for the thoroughly thematic thrill, Ken! ;):thumbsup::cool:

Glad you like it. It's one of a pair.
View attachment 989735 View attachment 989736
Alan, I'm glad you only post at most two of your knives at a time; I don't think my system could handle larger doses of such sublime knives! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

Stopped by my moms place today to fix up her bathroom exhaust fan. Before I left she said she found a few things I might want. Among them was an old knife of mine that my grandmother had given to me. I carried and used it for years as a kid. My dad used to sharpen it for me on a coarse grinding wheel so the edges aren’t super even. It was a bit rusty too. I lost it years ago.
It’s a mother of pearl two blade H. Dorwal (Germany). From what I was able to find out, it’s a Boker made brand for the Canadian market, 1900-1920’s.
I cleaned her up enough to use her again. Half stops and good snap on both blades. Good shape over all. Hopefully I don’t lose it again!
Congrats on the return of an old favorite, @spyderg !! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

You're an international man of mystery, Leslie! :D:cool: Congrats on that South African beauty! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you, GT, I tried to throw some curves with those BB Winchesters. And, once again, I can not pick a favorite from your tantalizing trio. That is a really nice selection.
- Stuart
Thanks, Stuart. :) I'm glad I can give you a challenge in your "Pick a winner from GT's choices" game. ;)

I carried a RR MED Stockman and a RR Canoe both in Amber jigged bone!
I'm a BIG fan of Rough Rider amber jigged bone (and the amber RR canoe was my first of MANY canoes)! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Sorry to have missed the last 2 days . We were in the Yellowstone Lake Hotel and they only have WI-FI in their sitting area and I don't do that . I have been carrying these 2 .

Thank you very much for putting up with my pictures .
Harry
I'm sure getting a lot of vicarious enjoyment from your trip pics, Harry; thanks! :cool::cool::thumbsup: And that stag 73 on the LF&C board is superb! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Very knice of you to say so, but Mrs Grave Fleschwund has warned me about pride! She can usually demonstrate why my pride was misplaced.:D
Bernice is a name you don't see folks naming their girls anymore. I know a Bernadette, but no Bernices anymore. Either way, I shudder at the thought of Mother-in-law's Belly Button!:eek:

And speaking of pride, you should be proud of the edge you've put on that Buck canoe. Nice bevel.
The Schatt & Morgan Jack is scrumptious!
Thanks for the kind words, Jeff. :) I have to confess that the edge on the Buck stag canoe is straight from the factory. I sure like the wide bevels, though, because I can sharpen those much easier. :rolleyes:

The ebb and flow of name popularity over time is interesting. Some of my relatives had names not currently very common.
Bernice (Bernie) was my wife's mom, my mom was Ettamae (Mae), and my mom's mom was Minnie.

Excellent choices GT :thumbsup:

Enjoying everyone's pics :) I'm off to York to visit my favourite hardware store :D Have a great weekend folks :thumbsup:

Thanks, Jack. :) Handsome hardware pair! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Gone Fishin'...
Nice 72, John! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: Wood handles? Hope you caught your limit! ;)

View attachment 990062
Budget SAK imitation today
Lot of cryptic posts about that Böker model!??! What model is it?

Halfway to York I found a stowaway in my pocket! :rolleyes:

Arrowhead or knife or both?

Won't have much time for the forums this weekend, unfortunately. Drove 15 hours up here to Raleigh, NC for my uncle's funeral. My brother and I had a few hours this morning to hunt down some local bottled beer to bring home with us. I figured if I'm going to NC, I better bring a pair of Jumpman shoes and a knife given to me by one of this forum's and North Carolina's finest, r redden r redden . Thank you, Randy! Beautiful country up here, my friend, and I wish I had more than ~4 hours of free time on this trip to meet up with you. Enjoy the weekend, everybody!

20180922_112756_2.jpg
Condolences again, Shawn. Sounds like you're having a good trip, though! :cool::cool:

aQdrMOe.jpg

This is the knife that I'm totin' today - a 4 1/8" Mickey Maddox coffin jack. Mr. Maddox, of Ringgold, GA, was a high school biology teacher and a protege of Ron Little. Mr. Maddox passed on December 5, 2015 at the age of 89.

NVN8x8B.jpg

- Stuart
Couple of impressive stag models, Stuart!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Old topographical; a Curtain & Clark

6847549761_55873a69b7_b.jpg

Fascinating covers, Gev! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Shawn I'm so glad you are still enjoying that forum knife. :thumbsup: With more breweries per capita than anywhere else in the U.S., Asheville was first named Beer City USA in 2009 and has swept the competition almost every year since (sorry GT) so finding a beer you like is not hard here. Highland Brewery was one of the first ones that started here.
We live in a time of "alternate facts", Randy! :D:D

Thanks, Gary. While all of your knives pictured are grand, the S&M ebony is in a class by itself. What a wonderful gift!
Thanks, Dean. :) I totally agree about that equal-end spearpoint federal shield S&M!

I carried these two yesterday and again today.

I can see why they'd get a repeat performance! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Tidioute #54 Harness Jack
View attachment 990273
Superior stag bone, Dave! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks GT, terrific trio you have there, nice pics :thumbsup:
Thanks, Tom. :) Auspicious autumnal arrangement! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Your stag Churchill is a champ, Ron! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Saturday sharpening session.
Zs87SJU.jpg
What date is it?? Is that REALLY your sharpening stone, or are we getting set up for some sort of seasonal deception?? ;)

Man, I like that knife of yours!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

My favorite matched pair. Both in jigged chestnut bone scales, the Swayback Jack and the Sodbuster Jr. ...
pYOt4Nz.jpg

Tough to beat that pair!! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

This EVERY day:
sbjr.deck.jpg

Lambsfoot of the Week for me is my stag Cracker Jack:
CJ.mark.open.alley.jpg

- GT

Today I'm carrying my 2014 Case CV 6375 Large Stockman with Amber Saw Cut Bone covers in my Boker Trapper sheath. Although the sheath is sized to a trapper pattern, with just a bit of stretching, the large stockman fits perfectly. They make a great combo. Knife not quite seated in the sheath so that the Case Logo could be seen in the picture.

NJx1ya4.jpg

5jkjUT2.jpg

This one's been riding around with me for a few days.

@btb01 That's a fine choice, Barrett.

I always wished I born in the mid 50’s which is around when you’re born I’m guessing. The 60’s and 70’s I think were the best times especially in America. Music, cars, fashion etc were way cooler back then. I bet you had your share of wild times! Thanks for giving me another reason to spend more knife money. I’ll tell my wife that the next time I get a new knife.:D:thumbsup:

Nick, as I tell my mid-thirties year old son, yes, I've got lots of great memories, but you have longer than I do now to make some great ones, too. How I envy you.

Neither of them contributed to the filleting or grilling of the Salmon, but they look the part :D

I like your style, Will. And I am unanimous in that.

Your guess is as good as mine. :D

I enjoyed that thread, r8shell. I go with the barnyard repair with what was handy theory. It may be that one or more of the three new holes drilled on the opposite side to receive the new "pins" was off center and that cover was popped off in the hammering-in.

I bought this 33OT middleman jack at the hardware store back in the early ‘70s.

That is a honest and handsome knife, Jeff. Great hunting use potential.

Old yeller

A great picture of a fine knife.

Its a bit of a let down when you assemble with others and would love to talk and show your knives and their eyes gloss over when we do knife speak. :(

I feel very lucky to have the guys down at my local hardware store and my buddies with whom I meet at our local watering hole several afternoons a week. They not only tolerate my knife show-and-tells, but seem to enjoy them. Of course, I'm also buying their goods at the former and their drinks at the latter, so that may explain some of it.

Picked up this vintage matchstrike 8OT stockman, I absolutely love it!!

I agree, Jeff, what's not to like. Congrats.

Based on those two beauties Stuart, I'd say you're already a winner.

Thanks, Alan. Knife-wise, I have been lucky.

Today with a Portuguese knife from Martins-Paloçoulo, offered by my work colleagues for my birthday!!!

Happy Birthday, and what a wonderful gift to receive!!

Couple of impressive stag models, Stuart!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Lambsfoot of the Week for me is my stag Cracker Jack:

Thanks, GT, and that stag really lives up to its name. Wouldn't that have been a great prize in the box!

- Stuart

Last edited:
I saw this one on my dresser this morning, and just HAD to pocket it again. Probably now my favorite 2-blade jack.

AD8UgtS.jpg
Whoa! I can see why you had to pocket that one. One of my favorite blade combinations, and deep dark ebony. :):thumbsup: I wonder if GEC will ever make some more like that?
What date is it?? Is that REALLY your sharpening stone, or are we getting set up for some sort of seasonal deception?? ;)
Ha! Nothing gets past your notice. :D I often meet up with a friend on Saturdays for lunch and knife appreciation / sharpening. He's been experimenting with different types of whetstones, and wondered if a chunk of sandstone would work. He found a flat piece and sanded it level and wanted me to give it a try on simple carbon steel. I guess it worked okay, but I liked it better for a knife stand.

I did manage to get a nice edge on the Miller Bros, using good old Arkansas stones. I really had my doubts about whether it was fixable, so being able to actually carry and use it this weekend has me smiling. :)
G3binvB.jpg

Picked up this vintage matchstrike 8OT stockman, I absolutely love it!!
VRzOQI9.jpg
:thumbsup: It really IS Old Timer Sunday!:D
Really nice example of the breed!

Have a peaceful Sunday, folks!
It's a Pinched Peanut kinda day here.
NkE7J2F.jpg
Technically, I don’t think we need to be blood relatives for you to put me in your will, but either way, it will work, right Uncle Peregrin?:)

raxjk9.jpg
2qt8xg6.jpg
1z56ykk.jpg
b6bku9.jpg
Happy Birthday!
You have some great work friends.

I feel very lucky to have the guys down at my local hardware store and my buddies with whom I meet at our local watering hole several afternoons a week. They not only tolerate my knife
show-and-tells, but seem to enjoy them. Of course, I'm also buying their goods at the former and their drinks at the latter, so that may explain some of it.
Lucky friends and buddies :thumbsup: The area where we live is mostly tourists mountain climbers and young people working in the service industry. It's not old bugger friendly,:p if we were to move to more of a rural area, where I was raised, then I would have some common friends. :D

Last edited:
Lucky friends and buddies :thumbsup: The area where we live is mostly tourists mountain climbers and young people working in the service industry. It's not old bugger friendly, if we were to move to more of a rural area, where I was raised, then I would have some common friends. :D

That could be true, Dave, though I live just a few miles, as the Old Crow flows, er, I mean flies, from the White House in downtown DC. The folks around here have gotten used to me occasionally having a dead deer in the back of my truck when I stop off for a cold one on the way home from the occasional successful hunt. I like to ruralize my surroundings, just as my wife likes to accessorize.

Case Barehead Jack today

I doff my cap to that barehead, Steve. Very nice.

- Stuart

Last edited:
Back