What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

uPSqBRd.jpg

Dang, that's a lot of awesome winterbottom right there! :eek::thumbsup: But going all in with that will scare everyone away. :D I have a question: are these carbon steel? I don't know much about older queen knives (except that they're quite the lookers) but I read they used a lot of stainless even back in the day when it wasn't popular with other cutleries.

Just beautiful Jack!

Thank you Dwight :) :thumbsup:

uPSqBRd.jpg

I'm liking the Hartsheads that you've been posting, Jack. Very handsome knives.

Thanks a lot Stuart, I love that pic! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

Two beautiful knives Jack! I’m glad you and Duncan had a good visit. He is a generous individual! I’m proud to have been able to meet and spend time with he and Paul at the Rendezvous in 2017! :)

I’m totin two straight edges today. A Wharncliffe and a Lambsfoot! :D

48050240891_64f11e7339_b_d.jpg

Thanks Ron, I doubt Duncan has ever met anyone who didn't find him a great guy :) That's a fine pair my friend :) :thumbsup:

Inspired by Nick's kai76 kai76 Miller Brothers posting today, I popped this one in my pocket for Wooden Wednesday totin'.

bwOVMxY.jpg

3mDk5dv.jpg

- Stuart

Beautiful :) :thumbsup:

That’s two beautiful old Winterbottom Queens my friend! I know you have quite a few and they’re all beautiful!

Thanks, Ron. I like your two totes today, too. Woodn't mind seeing them more often.

Dang, that's a lot of awesome winterbottom right there! :eek::thumbsup: But going all in with that will scare everyone away. :D I have a question: are these carbon steel? I don't know much about older queen knives (except that they're quite the lookers) but I read they used a lot of stainless even back in the day when it wasn't popular with other cutleries.

Thanks (and as Ron hinted, that's not all of them, so no scaring - this time). Invented in England in 1914 and patented in America in 1915, stainless steel was first produced in the U.S.A. at the Cyclops Steel Company (Titusville, PA) in 1917. Queen City Cutlery, also located in Titusville, was one of the first American Cutlery firms to use stainless steel, which they proudly called "Queen Steel". I understand that this started in the early 1920s. All of those pictured are Queen Steel. I have some early Queen City knives that may have carbon steel, but I need to look more closely to tell (they are 1922 or later, so I tend to believe they are Queen Steel). All of my Schatt & Morgans pre-date the firm's bankruptcy (1929?) and are carbon steel constructed (I think - need to look sometime).
- Stuart

If the length, width, and height of the 55 are all about 80% of the 110, the 55's weight would come out about half that of the 110. ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Well I just weighed the 110 and it clocked 7oz and the 55 1oz :eek:
The 110 does have a lot of brass so it makes sense, if the 55 were proportionately as thick or In fact actually scaled down from the 110 there would probably be proper correlation.

Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals is tonight. My Blues are facing a tough Boston Bruins team. I haven’t shaved in weeks (the playoff beard is a tradition in the National Hockey League), and I am carrying my Blues inspired trio of knives. I have had great fun this post season, regardless of the final score tonight.

JMHgpoj.jpg

Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals is tonight. My Blues are facing a tough Boston Bruins team. I haven’t shaved in weeks (the playoff beard is a tradition in the National Hockey League), and I am carrying my Blues inspired trio of knives. I have had great fun this post season, regardless of the final score tonight.

JMHgpoj.jpg
Looking forward to the game myself. Game 7s are AWESOME!
Go Blues!

Back