1. Week 47 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Nov 23 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    G-R-A-I-L

Laurelbb, RDaneel and cigarrodog like this.
  2. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    I’ll say!

Laurelbb, RDaneel and Fodderwing like this.
  3. Grateful

Grateful Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 5, 2002
    Oops

4. Rose and Thistle Custom

Rose and Thistle Custom Josh Mead Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 9, 2018
    20190706_203926-898x1048.jpg

ISKRA, Ramrodmb, DelOro and 22 others like this.
  5. Rose and Thistle Custom

Rose and Thistle Custom Josh Mead Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 9, 2018
    20190706_222201-879x1172.jpg

willard0341, ISKRA, Ramrodmb and 20 others like this.
  6. JJ Cahill

JJ Cahill Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Thank you r8shell! :D

Today I'm going with this pragmatic pair ;)[​IMG]

Ramrodmb, DelOro, TFBraden and 22 others like this.
  7. Âchillepattada

Âchillepattada Basic Member Basic Member

May 17, 2012
    [​IMG]

Â

8. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    @Âchillepattada Substantial amount of patina coming along there :cool: Very satisfying:thumbsup:

Regards, Will

Âchillepattada likes this.
  9. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    That's a very distinctive knife, Alan, and I always enjoy seeing it! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Looks like a real Fourth of July Feast, Ron! :cool::cool::thumbsup: Do your dogs have both chili AND potato salad on them?? I've never heard of that before, but it's a fantastic idea!! :)

Thanks for your positive comment, JJ. :) That pair you posted sure has bounteous beautiful jigged bone! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Welcome to The Porch, @Marlingspike12! :) Your pair are classics! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Very cool photo, Dwight! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: It reminds me of one of my favorite legends from the history of mathematics, with the "punchline", "The lion is known by his paw!"
    https://www.jsoftware.com/papers/brachistochrone.htm

Elegant indeed! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: But only a Texan would consider 4 1/8" trapper a "little" pocket knife! :p

Holy Cow, John, that's a gorgeous knife! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Glad I could stimulate your gray cells, Jack! :thumbsup:;):cool: My high school Latin classes (and the context) helped me correctly guess the meaning of that word.

Sensational photo, Harvey! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I didn't even notice the blade of that knife until my third viewing - I was fixated on the mesmerizing checkered covers!

Outstanding Case Barlow; amazing jigging IMHO! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I wasn't even aware of that specific model until I noticed 3 or 4 of them in the past 3 days, and suddenly I'm wondering if I can live without one (even though I'm not really a Barlow guy). :rolleyes:

Splendid pair of knives for work, David! :cool::cool::thumbsup: But what are your columns of numbers? At first I thought they might be temperatures because I thought that was a thermometer at the top of the pic, but you're not going to get all those fractions off that scale. (Not even sure anymore that it's a thermometer - why would 22.5 be marked?)

Delightful duo, Dean! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

I found a Wikipedia page about declarations of independence, and it looks like Texas has TWO of them, one directed at Mexico and one directed at USA. A few other former Confederate states apparently have declarations of independence for their secession from the Union.

Thanks, Dean. :) It was very educational for me to study the document looking for quotes I could use.

That's a very cool "subcollection" based on getting all the blade combos for a given pattern. :cool::thumbsup::cool: That would be more engaging to me than trying to collect all the handle options for a specific blade combo of a pattern.

- GT

JJ Cahill, TFBraden, RDaneel and 6 others like this.
  10. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Thanks for all the comments, guys, especially on the leg knife. :) I once wrote down all of the different topics of conversation I thought that knife could start, and wanted to do a thread on knives that were "conversation pieces", but it hasn't happened yet. :rolleyes: Dwight, that's "factory scrimshaw" on the knife, but Rachel recently did some amazing scrimshaw for me that I have to post today sometime! :thumbsup::cool:

:):thumbsup:

Outstanding pair, Harry! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: I just asked my wife if she wanted me to sign us up for class involving balance exercises, but maybe I just need to get the right pair of knives! ;)

That canoe is definitely a looker!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: The quad-threaded bolsters are superb, and I like whatever that variation of amber jigged bone is. 5 years ago, I had never seen a canoe pattern and happened to get one in a set of 12 Rough Riders I bought. Once I carried it, I had a hard time getting it out of my pocket! Now I have dozens of canoes. :eek:

I hope there's not too much damage with those quakes, JJ! :eek: Two more astounding old knives! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Splendid pair, Jeff! :cool::cool::thumbsup: And, just a little insight into my geezer mind, the sight of your elk Buck somehow triggered for me pleasant thoughts of Elke Sommer, a movie star from my youth! :confused::rolleyes:

Has RALF been doing some hoeing, Jeff? ;) He looks none the worse for wear from using whatever garden tool that is. :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Congrats on your new Camillus, Steve! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Terrific trio, Vince! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: I went with cargo shorts today to make some extra room. ;)

Sensational handles on that one, Dean! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: (It reminds me that I want to try doing that to a wood-handled MAM I have.)

Congrats on the Hartshead Barlows, Dave! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I didn't even realize that yours had arrived, or that you were getting both stag and rosewood versions; don't break an ankle dancing for joy!! :D

That's a BIG pen knife - very cool! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

- GT

11. Marlingspike12

Marlingspike12

May 28, 2019
    Thanks GT! ;)

12. dc50

dc50 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Thanks, GT! instead of the usual 6 to 9 weeks delivery time, it only took 3 weeks :thumbsup::D As far as announcing there arrival I chose this time to casually post photos rather than a post with a big bang :)

13. dc50

dc50 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2006
    IMG_1073.JPG

14. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Congratulations Dave! :thumbsup: It’s a beautiful knife! :)

It was a great meal Gary! :) I’ve never heard of potato salad on a hot dog either! o_O Those hot dogs were topped with yellow mustard, chili with beans and HOT SLAW! I would call that a southern style hot dog! :thumbsup: :D

I’m up and wide awake with excitement and anticipation for the women’s World Cup final this morning! Go Team USA!!! :thumbsup::D:thumbsup::D:thumbsup::D

I’ll have these two close by today! :thumbsup::D

[​IMG]

ISKRA, Ramrodmb, Pàdruig and 23 others like this.
  15. chuck4570

chuck4570 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 21, 2010
    I just received this on July 5th from a member, don’t know a whole lot about it. It definitely looks like brown jigged bone, it’s not synthetic.
    It’s one sweet little knife, it will see a lot of pocket time.

jkwithawave likes this.
  16. Ripcord 82

Ripcord 82

Feb 15, 2019
  17. Amir Fleschwund

Amir Fleschwund Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2008
    F7D9EE79-AFC9-4C2F-AFAA-F9C5206502E8.jpeg
    Case 61048 SSP Slimline Trapper in authentic jigged delrin, Victorinox Florist

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  18. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Thanks GT. :D

Can't wait to see it! The girl has SKILLZZZZ! :D

Have a great Sunday all IMG_0855.jpeg

19. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    IMG_0444-1024x800.JPG

20. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    Thanks GT, the numbers are measurements for shoe moulding I was installing. The notations beside the measurements are my short hand to help remember where I am. Especially helpful in kitchens with allot counters to go around.I measure and write down an entire room at once, then cut the peices. So for example, 23 1/8 with 45 in/90 would mean a 23 1/8 inch long piece starting with a 45 degree inside cut ending with a 90 degree cut. I always go from left to right. The thing at the top in the pic is my mitersaw,with the degree Mark's on the base.