What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Just for you, I'm carrying a beautiful old Camillus scout today. This one is a bit of a mystery, as it has bone covers and the backside of the main blade's tang is stamped with a 99. As far back as any records I've seen, the Camillus 99 camp knife was never produced with bone covers, and I don't think it was ever produced with this style of can opener either.

But the year this knife was produced is probably very close to or earlier than the oldest published Camillus catalog, right near the end of WW2, so it's kind of hard to say. I'm thinking that this may have been an early prototype or from a small initial run of the 99. At least that's what my romantic heart wants to think. But the real details have been lost to time.

Either way, it's a beautiful knife. The worn covers are drop-dead gorgeous to my eyes. Fit and finish is outstanding. Main blade is extremely full. Brass liners just add to the charm of this wonderful vintage knife.

p0upgbqh.jpg

Lovely bone on that one !

Thanks for the ID, Tom. :) A 36 is a big old sunfish, right? Those are kind of cool knives just because of their size. :rolleyes: My Sabre came from the guy with his office next to mine, and he found it while cleaning out his father-in-law's garage after FIL passed away.
Has the Pioneer become almost-EDC because of the scissors? :cool::thumbsup::cool:

I am not sure on the GEC, I am far from an expert, I looked at a few pictures online to try to figure out what it is. Yes the Pioneer X rides with me because of the scissors, I find them to be eminently useful, along with the other tools. No errant thread or hair is safe around it :). Just yesterday I used the scissors to trim part of a bandage that was coming loose on my thumb while I was at work. It is a coin toss on which model I like more, the Pioneer X or the Farmer, the scissors are great on the Pioneer but I find the saw on the Farmer to be great for getting through thicker zip ties.

I am working from home today, so giving this new Buck a spin. It came very sharp in D2 steel. Happy Friday everyone!

uCWiavj.jpg

Thank you. It is Leopard Wood. It is very unique. Like to see more of it.
Thanks for the info, Tim; I don't think I'd heard of Leaopard Wood before. :thumbsup::cool:

Speedy González: spanish navaja; Inspector Clouseau: laguiole; Popeye: sheepsfoot; Sam Sheepdog: lambsfoot; Wily Coyote: trapper; Pepé le Pew: Douk-Douk; Tweety Bird: peanut; Foghorn Leghorn: sod buster.
Impressive, Vince! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
I forgot about Pepé le Pew; his cartoons are no longer socially acceptable, I'll bet.

Fine-looking pair GT :) :thumbsup:
Thanks, Jack. :)

Oh my, Gary, your Keen Kutter Office Knife is a grail! And, of course, your mini copperhead is literally inspiring. :)
Such a great knife. :cool: :thumbsup:
Thanks, Dean & John. :) The Office Knife is nowhere near mint condition, but I'm glad to have it!

On my hike today, I carried my BladeForums Buck double ended jack.

Those Forum Bucks are very nice! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Dean, that's an atmospheric pond pic! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks, I'm certainly liking it so far.

The adjustable Is a MAC 4".
Thanks for the ID on your wrench. :)

Thanks, GT this is a small display case with clear plexiglass cover it holds three. I purchased it through a GEC dealer whom I should not name as I'm not sure if he is a paid member?
Thanks for the info, Dave; it's a cool little case! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks Gary! :) The last I heard opening mail doesn’t cause patina! ;) :p
Unless you sign up for the Mail Order Meat of the Month Club. :D:rolleyes:

5K Qs 5K Qs
Thanks GT, they get the work done in splendid fashion. I do occasionally take a pearl to work, I carried a pearl Bulldog copperhead earlier this week. The copperhead was more on lunch duty though ;). The big Camillus is a good tough knife,a well dressed worker :cool: Though the more utilitarian knives see most of the use:thumbsup:
Thanks for the info, David; makes sense. :):thumbsup:

Thank you GT. Your Case mini copperhead is making me feel blue. Lovely color.
Thanks, Harvey. :) The blue bone is splendid, but adding the red shield makes my knees weak. :rolleyes:

Classy congress, Nick! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Putting up corrugated sheet metal. (Thank goodness). Right over the old shingles.
My job today was standing up on the lift right at the eave, measuring and marking 2x4s, and passing them up. They are being nailed over the old roof horizontally, through the old roofing, right down into the rafters, and the sheet metal will be nailed to them. Expedient, strong, and watertight. The owner, a good friend of mine, is a highly skilled carpenter and worker of wood, his wife is my bandmate, and the barn is where our monthly worship events are held.
Truthfully, I was not doing anything that a 13 year old kid couldn't do, but it saves him from having to climb up and down, makes it go much faster, and we had good conversation.

When you're working out how to get a razor edge, don't forget to start with a low angle back edge. Then raise the blade for a higher angle, and the edge will only take a few strokes. Usually! :D
Sounds like an efficient way to re-roof. :thumbsup::thumbsup: When I was a kid, my Dad put up a corrugated steel tool shed, and I was fascinated by the self-sealing lead-capped nails used to fasten the sheets to the frame. Is that still the technology 55 years later?
Thanks for the sharpening suggestions.

And I've got your back GT. I've never lost a fight at a quilting workshop... :rolleyes:o_O:p

Si señor por seguro. :cool:
:D:D (Although some of the stories my wife tells ... :rolleyes:)

These 2 today :

Harry
Harry, you have many wonderful knives, but IMHO it would be tough to top that pair! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

v1TNy2N.jpg

Pleasant evening here in the Northwest.
Pleasant knife there, too! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks Gary! I recently saw an interesting demonstration of the "eraser" blade of an Office Knife and your KK is KKKool!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks, JJ. :)

Today I'll be toting a hard nosed American Jack with the "rarely spotted" Bull Moose in tow:)
That checkered bone 78 is spectacular, sir! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Morning folks, treating myself to a Double Lambsfoot Day ;) :thumbsup:

YvJkaFY.jpg

yH5qaVN.jpg
Thanks for treating all of us to your double, Jack! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks Gary, yes they work very well.:):thumbsup:
Thanks for the reply, José! :)

An elegant pair of lambsfoots! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

- GT

Shaping up to be a mighty fine day. Have a Friday to remember.View attachment 1159938View attachment 1159937 View attachment 1159936Kabar swayback jack~a super heavy duty fistful,
Victorinox Florist
The blade tip on your Kabar is wanting to play peek-a-boo, Jeff. ;) I like that black handle on the Florist. :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Your beaver shield is a real attention-grabber, Dave! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Sambar and Ebony, life is good! :thumbsup::)

48265039621_7606b53fbb_b_d.jpg
Handsome pair, Ron! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Going with the Sodbuster Jr. again today.
I wish I'd tried this pattern earlier, it really speaks to me as a good "user" knife. I might have to invest in a prettier model some day.
I have a couple of the "prettier" jigged bone Case SBJrs, but they seem to me to really be a different knife from yours. I can't decide if I want one just like yours, or a yellow CV version (currently leaning toward the latter).

Sambar & bone. Carbon and stainless.
zEeJaPI.jpg

4vVtZJ7.jpg
4 for 4, Vince! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Just for you, I'm carrying a beautiful old Camillus scout today. This one is a bit of a mystery, as it has bone covers and the backside of the main blade's tang is stamped with a 99. As far back as any records I've seen, the Camillus 99 camp knife was never produced with bone covers, and I don't think it was ever produced with this style of can opener either.

But the year this knife was produced is probably very close to or earlier than the oldest published Camillus catalog, right near the end of WW2, so it's kind of hard to say. I'm thinking that this may have been an early prototype or from a small initial run of the 99. At least that's what my romantic heart wants to think. But the real details have been lost to time.

Either way, it's a beautiful knife. The worn covers are drop-dead gorgeous to my eyes. Fit and finish is outstanding. Main blade is extremely full. Brass liners just add to the charm of this wonderful vintage knife.

p0upgbqh.jpg
Thanks, Buzz! :) That old scout is a treat as well as a mystery! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Carrying one of Swayback Jacks today.

I wonder if everyone who likes a Sway Back Jack would like a lambsfoot knife, and vice versa? Yours is a beauty, Dean! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you kindly.

Jack Black Jack Black Nothing but nice, is your image of goodies, Jack.

46880F46-CBAF-4000-A160-8B643D8264A1_zpswcxv0hwh.jpeg
Cool photo, Harvey! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: (Although I have no regrets over finally quitting cigars almost 5 years ago.)

I am not sure on the GEC, I am far from an expert, I looked at a few pictures online to try to figure out what it is. Yes the Pioneer X rides with me because of the scissors, I find them to be eminently useful, along with the other tools. No errant thread or hair is safe around it :). Just yesterday I used the scissors to trim part of a bandage that was coming loose on my thumb while I was at work. It is a coin toss on which model I like more, the Pioneer X or the Farmer, the scissors are great on the Pioneer but I find the saw on the Farmer to be great for getting through thicker zip ties.

I am working from home today, so giving this new Buck a spin. It came very sharp in D2 steel. Happy Friday everyone!

uCWiavj.jpg
Thanks for the Pioneer X/Farmer testimonial, Tom. :) That Buck is a bigger fixed blade than you typically carry, right? :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Stag Friday. I can’t wait until tomorrow.
TJyCzFj.jpg
Splendid pic of a superb knife, Dave! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Stag/Horn Knife of the Week for me is a Rough Rider medium trapper:
stagMT.pile.2open.jpg

Lambsfoot of the Week is a rosewood model I call Union Jack:
UJ.mark.Vopen.garden post.jpg

- GT

Stunning pic Dwight :) :thumbsup:

Thank you, Jack! I took that photo at a local park called Pickerington Ponds which, oddly enough, has a lot of scenic ponds. Unfortunately, it also has a lot of annoying mosquitos. :)

Lovely Lambsfoot knives today! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yikes! :eek: Thanks buddy :) :thumbsup:

Thank you kindly.

Jack Black Jack Black Nothing but nice, is your image of goodies, Jack.

46880F46-CBAF-4000-A160-8B643D8264A1_zpswcxv0hwh.jpeg

Thank you very much Harvey, great use of colour my friend :) :thumbsup:

uCWiavj.jpg

Nice pairing Tom :thumbsup:

Stag Friday. I can’t wait until tomorrow.
TJyCzFj.jpg

Fantastic photo Dave :) :thumbsup:

Thanks for treating all of us to your double, Jack! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you for the kind words my friend :) :thumbsup:

View attachment 1160136

- GT

Great shot of your Union Jack GT :thumbsup:

Thanks for the Pioneer X/Farmer testimonial, Tom. :) That Buck is a bigger fixed blade than you typically carry, right? :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Stag/Horn Knife of the Week for me is a Rough Rider medium trapper:
View attachment 1160133

View attachment 1160136

- GT

Thanks GT! Yeah bigger by A LOT :), it will be used almost exclusively for hunting in the fall, I just couldn't wait a few months to try it though. Beautiful Rosewood :thumbsup:

Nice pairing Tom :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack, you too :). And a gorgeous compass you posted today as well :thumbsup:

Those Forum Bucks are very nice! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Dean, that's an atmospheric pond pic! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

- GT

Thank you, Gary.

I wonder if everyone who likes a Sway Back Jack would like a lambsfoot knife, and vice versa? Yours is a beauty, Dean! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

View attachment 1160136

- GT

Thank you, Gary. Is your lovely lambsfoot called a Union Jack because you are in union with Jack Black on how great Lambsfoot knives are?

Back