1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. DelOro

DelOro Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2016
    Tea is brewing & I'm already enjoying sore throat Saturday! :eek:

Have a fantastic weekend. :D

[​IMG]

A very good day for a "King of the Hill" marathon, besides it's supposed to rain (monsoon) today. ;)

[​IMG]

2. Jak3

Jak3

Sep 6, 2016
    That’s awesome. I’ve never seen one quite like that before. A really good looking piece there.

3. Jak3

Jak3

Sep 6, 2016
    [​IMG]

ISKRA, TFBraden, JJ Cahill and 18 others like this.
  4. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Beautiful Dave as always. Is the yellow Osage?

Wonderful composition GT. Really crisp grain shot.

Thank you Jack.

Yann Nominé IMG_9120.jpeg

5. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001
    That Camillus is super-sweet!!!!! Remarkably good condition for its age.

JJ Cahill likes this.
  6. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001
    I use the bail every time. I attach mine to a lanyard, and suspend it into my rear pocket.

7. Onebigbill

Onebigbill Basic Member Basic Member

May 21, 2019
    Yard work today calls for something that versatile and tough. Like me! Ha!
    IMG_1222.JPG

8. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Thanks, fellas, I think they must be fairly rare, I've never seen one before, either.

Jak3 likes this.
  9. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Thanks, Jack. :)

Cool background with coloration that complements the tortoiseshell! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks, Harvey. :)

It's just too good to be true,
    Can't take my eyes off your canoe! :cool::thumbsup:;)

Thanks for the size confirmation on your Buck, Tom, and for your compliment regarding Union Jack. :)

That COULD be the genesis of the name, but it's not. ;) My wife and daughter visited the UK a few years ago, and at my request, they found a rosewood lambsfoot for me in York. When I first saw it in person, I was struck by the "horizontal" grain on one side and "diagonal" grain on the other, and that led me to the superimposed crosses of various types on the British flag aka Union Jack. So "union" is more related to family ties, and "jack" to jackknife, and "Union Jack" together to the grain on my knife, as well as its national origin.

Love that GEC #170, Taylor! :cool::cool::thumbsup: (you do the model number math :p)

Congrats, Jeff! :thumbsup::cool::cool: That's unusual and interesting.

Thanks, JJ. :)

Striking pair! :cool::thumbsup::cool: Not sure I like glitter gold on a coffin jack, though!?! :eek::D

Outstanding pair of knives, Ron! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

:D:D Been there, done that, Jeff!

Summer's here (and the time is right for dancing in the streets! :D)

Have a safe and enjoyable trip, John! Good to see your faithful rosewood lambsfoot. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hope the sore throat doesn't stick around, Del; enjoy the marathon! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks, Dwight; I modified the "exposure" and "color" a bit after taking the pic. :)
    That's a superb French knife! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Sublime stag on your Hartshead lambsfoot Barlow, and I like that faithful old straw hat! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Couple of "free choice" knives for me this week in addition to the knives assigned by my rotation schedule.
    Rough Rider carbon steel folding hunter:
    hunter.mark.open.wrench.flat.jpg

Rough Rider canoe with scrimshaw by @r8shell:
    mark.table.jpg

- GT

10. Onebigbill

May 21, 2019
    GT- Thanks for your comments especially about the hat. Bought it in Houston 40 years ago. Sin has left it sad scar.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  11. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Most days a pair like this is more than enough for my EDC needs.
    The knives aren't really small. The leaf is really big.
    [​IMG]

12. black mamba

Oct 21, 2009
    Thanks, Gary!

13. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Thank you, GT. :)

A very special knife. :cool: :thumbsup:
    A canoe, Your vacation spot, and Rachel's art. A mighty combination.

cigarrodog and r8shell like this.
  14. Onebigbill

May 21, 2019
    That white boned jack is a beaut. Great picture.

15. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    That's a very cool Boker, thanks for the info. I now have another knife on my 'watch for' list.

I save my street dancing for winter time. Summer is too hot for that around here. :p
    I'm happy to see you're carrying the canoe Canoe. Let me know how the ink holds up. I've been using 'India ink" since that's what I've read recommended, but I'm experimenting with making my own 'lamp-black' (a good, indoor summertime project) :D

16. black mamba

Oct 21, 2009
    Always happy to enable, r8shell!

cigarrodog and r8shell like this.
  17. Fire Beard

Fire Beard

Sep 1, 2013
    Thank you, sir. I do believe that the Canoe is my favorite pattern. Such a nice, comfortable carry and I’m a sucker for spear blades. You won’t regret trying one out! If only I could find a GEC 16...I’d be a happy man.

Thank you, and your Canoe is also a real beauty! That custom scrimshaw work is really clean and looks fantastic. Been thinking of trying out one of those RR Canoes myself, they look great.

Prester John likes this.
  18. RDaneel

RDaneel Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 23, 2000
    Thank you for your extensive answer to my question, Gary. r8shell has a gift for scrimshaw; and you have been the beneficiary of some beautiful examples! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Prester John likes this.
  19. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Well, you can never have too many!

20. RDaneel

RDaneel Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 23, 2000
    I'm carrying this Case mini copperhead for Stagurday.

[​IMG]