What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

2015 Case Trapper in what i now believe to be amber jigged bone. First time out. Another flea market/estate sale salvage. Appeared to be never used, never carried. Had some rust, but cleaned up spectacularly. Very likable knife, well made. The recessed pins are a little strange, not sure why they did it, but all four are that way.
20190820_090247 by Chris Thayer, on Flickr

20190820_075141 by Chris Thayer, on Flickr
You did well at the flea mkt/estate sale! You just never know what you’ll find among the dozens of clapped out, rusty, Imperial cub scout knives with broken blades. I have 2 of those full sized Case trappers, and they’re fine knives- hefty and very well made.
Finished cutting my grass I minute before the storm.:) I really like that #54 big jack of yours, linen Micarta?
I remember pondering a purchase of one of those for too long, and then they were gone.:( They lingered at the
dealers for a long time, I missed out on a fine knife there.

Yep- good eye. Linen micarta. This was my first GEC, found it used on the auction site. I don’t understand why it’s not more popular~you just don’t see too many. Maybe too big? Seems perfect to me.

Yeah, I finished mowing in a light rain, then Dad and I sat and watched it pick up. Didn’t really live up to the hype that the weather readers predicted, though.

HU0DdDW.jpg

Great Eastern cutlery #66

Be careful in the heat Stuart! Remember it’s rough on elderly gentlemen such as us! :eek: But always also remember, “Happy wife! Happy life!” :thumbsup: ;)

Thanks for your concern and advice, Ron. Luckily, I re-hydrated after I got the post and attached butterfly house in the ground, watered and packed solid.

cgtuGJe.jpg

The post is plumb; the white oak behind it is not.

fuT3oxI.jpg

Sodbuster and post hole digger~ character builders.

Today was a day for character building. Whew!!

How do you mix those to get a different color?

Flat the third for the blue note:cool:
But that’s a...minor... consideration.

Speaking of characters. Well played, Jeff.
- Stuart

2015 Case Trapper in what i now believe to be amber jigged bone. First time out. Another flea market/estate sale salvage. Appeared to be never used, never carried. Had some rust, but cleaned up spectacularly. Very likable knife, well made. The recessed pins are a little strange, not sure why they did it, but all four are that way.
20190820_090247 by Chris Thayer, on Flickr

20190820_075141 by Chris Thayer, on Flickr

What you have there Chris is a 1995 Case 6254 Trapper. Sunken pins were common in that era. The bone color was Case’s “standard” color of that era; a bit darker and more “Oatmeal” looking on the edges than today’s Amber Bone. I have some Stockman pattern from the same era that exhibit the same features and bone coloration. Nice find! OH

Here are some of the knives I'll carry every day this week.
Alox Knife for the week is a Vic Electrician (thanks, Greg):
electrician.cane.closeup.jpg

non-Alox SAK of the Week is a Vic Camper:
camper.open.jpg

Bailed non-SAK of the Week is a Colonial electrician's knife:
colonial.tl29.sharper.jpg

Stockman of the Week is a Buck 371 (thanks, Randy):
371.mark.closed.brick.jpg

- GT

Thanks for your concern and advice, Ron. Luckily, I re-hydrated after I got the post and attached butterfly house in the ground, watered and packed solid.

cgtuGJe.jpg

fuT3oxI.jpg

Today was a day for character building. Whew!!
- Stuart
That’s a great looking butterfly house Stuart! Is that construction some of your handy work?

That’s a great looking butterfly house Stuart! Is that construction some of your handy work?

Thanks, Ron, but sadly, no (other than attaching the house to the post with two 3" wood screws). I did remove the "roof" and glued some tree bark pieces inside for the critters to crawl on and rest. I have built a couple of small decks and some deer hanging arches with lifting winches, but no houses, butterfly or otherwise.
- Stuart

What you have there Chris is a 1995 Case 6254 Trapper. Sunken pins were common in that era. The bone color was Case’s “standard” color of that era; a bit darker and more “Oatmeal” looking on the edges than today’s Amber Bone. I have some Stockman pattern from the same era that exhibit the same features and bone coloration. Nice find! OH
Ha ha ha ha ha! So it is. I had the clip open when I glanced at it this morning and didn't see the "US" under the logo. Would like to pretend it's the first time I've made that mistake. Thanks for the info on the knife. You're dead on about the oatmeal color at the edges, I couldn't think of a good description for it this morning.

You did well at the flea mkt/estate sale! You just never know what you’ll find among the dozens of clapped out, rusty, Imperial cub scout knives with broken blades. I have 2 of those full sized Case trappers, and they’re fine knives- hefty and very well made.

Thank you. There are more to come. It was something, we had a blast. The knives are just part of it, there were a lot of unique things to come home with. And we did!

D Duckdog , that butterfly house it awesome. Reminds me of a long version of a bluebird nesting house my grandfather designed about 40 years ago. We built thousands of those things for church youth groups, Boy Scouts, etc. Is it for the butterflies or the chrysalis? We have fritillary and swallowtail chrysalis and Kim is looking for a way to protect them.

D Duckdog , that butterfly house it awesome. Reminds me of a long version of a bluebird nesting house my grandfather designed about 40 years ago. We built thousands of those things for church youth groups, Boy Scouts, etc. Is it for the butterflies or the chrysalis? We have fritillary and swallowtail chrysalis and Kim is looking for a way to protect them.

Thanks, Chris. I, too, put up a lot of bluebird houses in western Virginia while leading a Scout troop and with friends. And wood duck boxes. I put the butterfly box up in honor of the Virginia legislature recently adopting the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail butterfly (Papilio glaucus) as our state insect (it is, also, the state butterfly of AL, DE, GA, NC, and SC). We have others, though only an occasional Monarch. It is for the adults, but I assume I may get a chrysalis or two, as I've got it in the sunniest spot. We, also, have coneflower, asters, and hibiscus planted near the new house, as well as tulip poplar and black cherry in our backyard (neighbors have butterfly bushes, Buddleia davidii, nearby).
- Stuart

A fine pairing :) :thumbsup:
Thanks Jack! An outstanding "Double Stag" for you today!:thumbsup::thumbsup:;)
GEC & Case should get me through. I hope something needs cutting!
bbddf1d7-1179-481e-aba1-cf6fbcbc1573-jpeg.1182081
Very cool pair you have today; can't go wrong with a Big Jack and a Whittler!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
That blade assortment should meet any cutting needs. I think it's cool when I pull out a GEC to use or show someone, and they ask "How old is that?" They know I like vintage knives, and with a patina wouldn't think it was something in current production.
I'm carrying two knives made in 2019: a white bone Pemberton and a #29 Stockyard Whittler I have named 'Ramen'.
Thank you Rachel!!! You have quite a superlative pair of GEC's today; the 29 really is a great all around knife!:thumbsup::thumbsup::D
Great shot of your lovely Sheffield lambfoot knives, Harvey!:thumbsup::thumbsup::)
I'm a big fan of Keen Kutter knives and yours is a beauty Nick!:thumbsup::thumbsup:;)
Felt like a barlow day today
You've got your Barlow urge covered David; a regular and a supersize, super cool!!!:cool:
Great work Stuart!!! It will make a wonderful shot when your new creation is all atwitter with critters!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Here are some of the knives I'll carry every day this week.
You can't go wrong there, Gary; great choices, as always!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::)

Yep. :thumbsup: It's got a blade with belly, a short straight edge and a punch: a perfect combination. :cool::thumbsup: I plan to carry it every day for at least a month. The bone color and jigging is just okay now, but I have a feeling that it will mellow out with wear to something really nice.
Of course, I'm not promising to carry it all by itself. I'll usually have a smaller peanut-like knife, and something larger like a Lambsfoot. It's a fine middle-sized knife.
Taking lots of pre-patina photos:
Gt5XgCY.jpg

Hmm...only one criticism; I think they put the shield on upside down. o_O

It looks like a great pattern Rachel :) :thumbsup:

Couple of lovely oldies Harvey :thumbsup:

Looking good Taylor :thumbsup:

Back