What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Ever since I first saw the Acorn shield I’ve been on the look out for one. They must have been hoarded by all the squirrels because I have never seen one for sale. Thought it’d be neat, as it remind me of the big oak tree in my parents front yard. The tree is gone now, but we used to do a lot with the Acorns that would fall off every year. Shot them out of slingshots, made pretend smoking pipes with toothpicks, and even convinced our little brother they were good to eat...until Mom really chewed us out for that ono_Oo_O

AG Russell did alot of knives with acorn shields. High quality, super value imo.

AG Russell did alot of knives with acorn shields. High quality, super value imo.

I should have added, I had meant the Canoe pattern. I’ve seen some others with the shield but always thought the canoe and acorn just went together. I did not know AG Russell did any with an Acorn, I’ll have to look.

Gev, it’s nice to know my memory is one thing that still works! ;) I used mine and got some spotty patina which I didn’t really like the looks of. That’s when I decided to do a forced patina. I was always pleased with the Stag on my example and I find yours to be very attractive as well! It’s ironic you should mention scratches on a car! We discovered that someone had scratched the trunk lid on Pam’s car. We only saw it this weekend and we’re pretty sure it wasn’t done when we went to Titusville because we had it detailed on the 5th before we left. I really don’t know if I’ve ever seen her any more fired up than she was when we first discovered it!
Oh no !! I need to go meditate now. Give Pam some hugs for me. It's strange how I like old knives and a scratch on my car....I'll meditate on that ...huh. Thanks my friend

View attachment 1183310
After viewing the great Kamp King find by @cjtamu, I pulled out some of my Imperial Hammer Brands from the same era; they are still such great cutters after 60-70+ years. For Thursday I'll go with these 3.:rolleyes:
It’s Hammer Time it’s that beautiful trio, JJ.

@Duckdog - Beutiful Image, Stuart. The old tin made it more so.

@5K Qs - Thank you, GT. I look forward to seeing your weekly carry.

@Jack Black - Thank you Jack. Really like your Hartshead Barlow that cool tin. I’m always looking for vintage items. I found the Patch on the Auction Site. Do you still have your patch? If not, I’ll send it to you.:)

FC5FBDC9-2179-47AD-AA38-C3B3EB80EC1B.jpeg

Today I’m carrying my Stag Hartshead and my #35 Drover forum knife! Have a great day! :D
Those Drovers are so very nice and every time I see one it makes me wish I had one myself. That bone color and jigging,
the centered bar shield on a equal end,..... and comes with a punch too. Your's is very nice Half/Stop.:thumbsup:

Today I'm breaking in a new one, the Maher & Grosh in ebony, such a fine knife. Paired with a Hen & Rooster pen in
elk antler, I believe.View attachment 1183334

A little French Ivory this morning.

P5DIRzK.jpg

f04v4Y8.jpg
Another knife I wish I had in my collection, especially one in that condition.:thumbsup: Very nice black mamba.

Those Drovers are so very nice and every time I see one it makes me wish I had one myself. That bone color and jigging,
the centered bar shield on a equal end,..... and comes with a punch too. Your's is very nice Half/Stop.:thumbsup:

Today I'm breaking in a new one, the Maher & Grosh in ebony, such a fine knife. Paired with a Hen & Rooster pen in
Thanks for the compliment on the Drover! :) It looks like Ken and Roger have a winner with their M&G 29’s! :thumbsup: :)

Love that O1 Travis! :thumbsup: Is that another Rendezvous souvenir? :D
Thanks. Yes, I picked that one up from Mike Latham who had just bought a few of them from Charlie Campagna. It had sat in the tube so long that the oil had dried up and the pivot was kind of sticky and slow. A few drops of mineral oil and 30 seconds of opening & closing fixed her right up.

I have this Bloodwood “Gun Scout” with me right now here in the office. I was fortunate enough to also pick up at the Rendezvous. I can’t remember who sold it to me though...
fuiOwld.jpg

Got this one as a surprise from @blademan 13 it is a Keen Kutter but it did have a nasty chip/nick about mid way down the blade, took a while but I was able to sharpen it out and she's quite the cutter, plus some interesting covers there that I rubbed with flitz to help polish up the outside so it looks about new, but is pretty old, not sure the age but she's certainly old enough to drink ;) Thanks again Jamie !

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

Looks great, Gary. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Plain Canoe of the Week for me is a Rough Rider Smooth Tobacco Bone with Acorn Shield:
View attachment 1183205

Fancy Canoe of the Week is a German Mohawk stag canoe from AG Russell:
View attachment 1183208

International Knife of the Week is a Cudeman from Spain:
View attachment 1183209

Watch Pocket Knife of the Week is a Case XX half congress (thanks for the GAW, @leghog):
View attachment 1183210

- GT

Gary, the plain canoe looks fancy to me, nice knife! The Case Congress is gorgeous (and a great gift)!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ron, I have indeed carried it a ton, just never used it. That is even an old photo when I took it on a photo shoot down by the lake a year and a half ago...or more. It was in fact a cull and you are correct ( good memory ), but I still could not really bring myself to cut anything other than thread and the odd emergency candy bar ...lol. Just did not want to ruin the etch on the clip blade o_O. Well, I made the leap to using it. I'll just avoid getting scratches on my car :rolleyes: Any more anyway...still pangs me about the kid who scratched it all the way down the side with his bicycle. I guess ..no ...I do..need more work on Self

December 22. 2017

24380525287_bebc57ad40_k.jpg

Yours is a beauty and Harry is a wise man, my friend :D:thumbsup:

Great story behind the knife and great looking stag. I have one knife that has always been hard for me to carry and using it would really be a stretch - the BladeForums Congress Jack. Maybe some day...

Thanks. Yes, I picked that one up from Mike Latham who had just bought a few of them from Charlie Campagna. It had sat in the tube so long that the oil had dried up and the pivot was kind of sticky and slow. A few drops of mineral oil and 30 seconds of opening & closing fixed her right up.

I have this Bloodwood “Gun Scout” with me right now here in the office. I was fortunate enough to also pick up at the Rendezvous. I can’t remember who sold it to me though...
fuiOwld.jpg
When they stay in the tube for 7 years they’ll gum up a little. Sorta like an old man that sets around on the forum all day, the joints get a little stiff! :eek: You picked up some nice ones again this year! It’s a shame about that short term memory loss...... ;)

Great story behind the knife and great looking stag. I have one knife that has always been hard for me to carry and using it would really be a stretch - the BladeForums Congress Jack. Maybe some day...
There is a season for all things

I carried these two on a somewhat rainy and post rain hike today.

OOOOh such beauty !!!!! A sweet pairing indeed

Smashing !! Demanded a quote :D:thumbsup:

Back