What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Make a little birdhouse in your soul
Not to put too fine a point on it…
T2vgJFx.jpg
...say I'm the only bee in your bonnet.
7mS6tWB.jpg

Gev, I was reading back through some posts and discovered your statement about your Stag Churchill. I guess I was under the impression that you had carried it before, but maybe not that often. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe we bought these two at the same time from CK. Mike had put them up as “Culls” because of the stag. As my good friend Harry says “There’s no bad stag! Some is just better than others!” ;) I don’t know about you but mine is one of my favorites. I’m sure you will enjoy it’s time in your pocket! Here’s mine for reference. :D

48332462797_2b51c3ec59_b_d.jpg

Harry I’m glad you are liking your 93’s so much! :thumbsup: It takes me back to the days when a person carried the same knife everyday! ;) Take it out of your pocket at night and put it back in the morning! :thumbsup: :D

Thanks for asking, yes it is. :thumbsup: This one is from 2015 a #73 with OO. :)

Great selection Gary! :thumbsup:

Love that O1 Travis! :thumbsup: Is that another Rendezvous souvenir? :D

Today I’m carrying my Stag Hartshead and my #35 Drover forum knife! Have a great day! :D

48599031552_3ae28c1226_b_d.jpg
Very nice carries today my friend :):):thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:!!!! I am glad that you have remembered what I have always said about Stag :):thumbsup: . I can still remember carrying the same Ulster every day from late 1961 until 2001 . The 93's get carried so much because I am a great fan of a Lambfoot and Sheepfoot type blade and I think the @waynorth Lambfoot is almost perfect and the Ramfoot is pinchable and I think they make a Great Working Pair . And I have them in my pockets today also .

Harry

When Jeff is right, he's right C cjtamu ! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
What's your procedure for cleaning out the rust, Chris?
- GT
Sorry, missed this earlier. Not a whole lot of experience in refurbishing knives, but may have restored an old bike, RC car, etc. or 2 ;). Much of that transfers. Really depends on what shape the knife is in, maybe on the blade steel. Would rather not use harsh chemicals, so I'll use elbow grease if possible. Some 400 grit paper works wonders on the inside of blade springs and tangs. 000 or 0000 steel wool for blades, Usually some 000 steel wool inside of blade springs after I've used sandpaper. Rust between the tang and liners is a PITA, so far have been able to lube and work most of that loose, then blow out with a compressor. Have used Evaporust on a couple that were in bad enough shape. Works pretty well, but does leave a patina on carbon blades. I try not to dunk the whole knife, there are maybe two we got where I'll have to do that. Found the other night that WD-40 did a good job removing rust between the tang and liners at the pivot. Let it sit, blew it out, then used isopropyl alcohol to remove the WD-40. I'm still learning. Have read quite a bit here about how other folks do it, but always looking for more info.

Been carrying this all day, but didn't post it because I forgot the level I meant to include in the pic for Amir Fleschwund Amir Fleschwund ! Another from the flea/estate sale, Case 22087. Box says Texas Jack, but I thought the Texas Jack was the 032 pattern, so I guess they changed the pattern they used at some point? This one was in good shape. Box had gotten wet, minor rust but cleaned right up. Real nice utilitarian knife, going to enjoy using this one . Paired in this photo with a Mayes Bros. Tool Mfg. Co level from estate sale. This one says Port Austin, MI so it should be pre-1957.
20190822_172430.jpg

Sorry, missed this earlier. Not a whole lot of experience in refurbishing knives, but may have restored an old bike, RC car, etc. or 2 ;). Much of that transfers. Really depends on what shape the knife is in, maybe on the blade steel. Would rather not use harsh chemicals, so I'll use elbow grease if possible. Some 400 grit paper works wonders on the inside of blade springs and tangs. 000 or 0000 steel wool for blades, Usually some 000 steel wool inside of blade springs after I've used sandpaper. Rust between the tang and liners is a PITA, so far have been able to lube and work most of that loose, then blow out with a compressor. Have used Evaporust on a couple that were in bad enough shape. Works pretty well, but does leave a patina on carbon blades. I try not to dunk the whole knife, there are maybe two we got where I'll have to do that. Found the other night that WD-40 did a good job removing rust between the tang and liners at the pivot. Let it sit, blew it out, then used isopropyl alcohol to remove the WD-40. I'm still learning. Have read quite a bit here about how other folks do it, but always looking for more info.

I do much the same, depending on how bad it is, but the idea of blowing it out with a compressor is a good one, so thanks for posting that!
One thing I use is a spray can of Gunk Engine Degreaser for knives that have a lot of dried grease and grit down in the well. Never seemed to harm any scale materials, but advise caution. The combination of solvents and high pressure does a good job. I always flush it out with something like Kroil or WD40 after using the Gunk since it removes all the oil.

Been carrying this all day, but didn't post it because I forgot the level I meant to include in the pic for Amir Fleschwund Amir Fleschwund ! Another from the flea/estate sale, Case 22087. Box says Texas Jack, but I thought the Texas Jack was the 032 pattern, so I guess they changed the pattern they used at some point? This one was in good shape. Box had gotten wet, minor rust but cleaned right up. Real nice utilitarian knife, going to enjoy using this one . Paired in this photo with a Mayes Bros. Tool Mfg. Co level from estate sale. This one says Port Austin, MI so it should be pre-1957.
View attachment 1183641

That's another great find! Very nice Case.

Thanks for showing the level. There is just no comparison between the tools of yesterday and what's out there in the big box stores now.

Ever since Old Engineer Old Engineer showed the harness hames that he found at flea markets and made walking sticks out of, I started looking for them. No luck so far...

By the way, I noticed in one of the photos he posted from the Rendezvous, that he provided one of those cudgels, I mean walking sticks, to Half/Stop Half/Stop . Maybe they used them to clear the aisles so they could get the deals?:eek::D

...say I'm the only bee in your bonnet.
7mS6tWB.jpg

Everything sticks like a broken record
Everything sticks until it goes away (it goes home)
And the truth is, we don't know anything (don't know)

Wake up and smell the cat food.

FYI, we are referencing lyrics from the alternative band "They Might Be Giants". They were popular in the late 80's and early 90's. I'll probably be breaking out the Guadalcanal Diary and Haircut 100 tapes tonight.

Last edited:

Kim's big blade Imperial Kamp King rules, Chris.

That's a pleasant pair, Jeff, and another bodacious big blade.

Dang, David, you done did it, didn't you! looks like rough stuff.

I'm impressed by your industry, Stuart, setting posts in near-100˚ heat! :rolleyes::thumbsup::thumbsup: And your pic makes me think I really haven't grown up yet, even after 2/3 of a century, because I still don't have my own posthole digger. :(

My wife has a lot of milkweed growing in our side yard, but this summer I think we have only one Monarch in residence. :(

Good to see you've gone straight, Stuart! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

Thanks, GT, but I could be better off not having such tools so close at hand. We've got milkweed nearby, but the Monarchs are having a hard time across their range, partly due to milkweed suppression in crop and range land.

After viewing the great Kamp King find by C cjtamu , I pulled out some of my Imperial Hammer Brands from the same era; they are still such great cutters after 60-70+ years. For Thursday I'll go with these 3.:rolleyes:

Well, JJ, you have finally brought me to the brink of buying some new knives, as I have tossed almost all of mine in the trash after seeing those Imperial Hammers of yours. Might as well start all over again. They are beautiful (as are all of the ones you have kindly shared here). Thanks, I think.

Fancy Canoe of the Week is a German Mohawk stag canoe from AG Russell

Watch Pocket Knife of the Week is a Case XX half congress (thanks for the GAW, @leghog)

All four are fine, GT, but the Russell and Case are still in my mind's eye.

I like seeing the sturdy workers that you've been totin' and posting, Jeff. Handsome AND handy.

That is one fine looking knife, Ron, in all respects. Fabulous! (As was it's previously posted sibling and the one subsequently posted by @Gevonovich .

KeenKutter Cattle knife today :thumbsup:

lALwlqw.jpg

I'm keen on Keen Kutters, Steve, and that is a fine one.

A little French Ivory this morning.

Lovely Camillus, Jeff.

You have a pretty, yet practical patina pairing there, r8shell. Perfect.

G'day folks, hope everyone's week is going well :) I've got these two with me today, my pocket-hogging Hartshead Barlow, and a Case Peanut recently gifted to me by @mitch4ging :) Thanks Dennis :thumbsup:

That Peanut looks as smooth as fine whisky, Jack. Congratulations.

- Stuart

Wow, those are gorgeous. Is that what they call "cracked ice" celluloid?
Thank you!!! The covers are called cracked ice though they are some form of linoleum sheet glued to the hollow metal covers. They certainly came up with cool designs, back then!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
It’s Hammer Time it’s that beautiful trio, JJ.
Thanks Harvey, I really enjoy these old US "budget" knives!!! Another spectacular image of one of your many enchanting lambsfoot knives!:thumbsup::thumbsup::)
sometimes little blades can do great things :D
Wow! That certainly looks vert tasty; sumptuous photograph!:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Wow, great set and they look like new. Imagine getting all three of them new as a kid! Best birthday ever, I'd bet. :D
Thanks Rachel; I can only imagine opening up the birthday package!:thumbsup::thumbsup::rolleyes: It looks like your new 29 is starting to catch up to your Hartshead Barlow; outstanding pair!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:
So, I'm totin' some "recently acquired" Cases for this Two Trapper Thursday.
Great shot of your Case trappers Stuart; It looks like the yellow fella is ready to trap some beer!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::eek:
Well, JJ, you have finally brought me to the brink of buying some new knives, as I have tossed almost all of mine in the trash after seeing those Imperial Hammers of yours. Might as well start all over again. They are beautiful (as are all of the ones you have kindly shared here). Thanks, I think.
Thanks Stuart, especially for the great laugh!!! If I even had the slightest notion that you were tossing your bevy of beauties in the trash, I'd be riding shotgun on the next garbage truck!!!:rolleyes:

Back