1. Week 47 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Nov 23 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. JoeGoblyn

JoeGoblyn Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2018
    They really are great blade shapes. Extremely useful.

Joe

Jack Black likes this.
  2. TheFactor

TheFactor Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 26, 2015
    Some much needed vacation time , quality IPA’s mixed with quality time . This is what happens :oops::D
    To no effect of the above ;) Three of my #29’s thanks to some great dealers and Gec all have main blades that are flush at the half stop with some even including the secondary :thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

TFBraden, sunknife, Duckdog and 22 others like this.
  3. JJ Cahill

JJ Cahill Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 10, 2018
    That's quite interesting as I just checked mine and all 3 blades are flush! Who woulda thunk; thanks for the tip!:thumbsup::thumbsup::D

TheFactor likes this.
  4. JB in LV

JB in LV Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2016
    Thanks Dylan, I thought the Indian River Jack (2014 - Queen) might be “the one” for me. It’s good, but has enough f&f issues that it’s not. Could have saved me a lot of cash if it had been.

Funny thing, I looked back at my spreadsheet and it says I bought Presidentials on or around 5/18/14 and 4/12/15. Not sure if the run was split, but I believe I hemmed and hawed over the second one for a while - the seller site used to say how many of them were left in stock since they were not unique.

Hope this isn’t too much of a derail - I know it really belongs elsewhere, but a little context from my POV.

5. TheFactor

Feb 26, 2015
    It’s always to good to find out sooner then later ;)
    Don’t know why but I noticed it within minutes of handling my first one. But have looked for it as my radar was on for my next arrivals :thumbsup:
    You just might have the only ones made by GEC with all 3 blades flush at the half stop:eek: who woulda thunk :D Personally never seen that before even on customs.
    Do you have a SFO or ?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    JJ Cahill likes this.
  6. HFinn

HFinn

Sep 6, 2012
    [​IMG]

TFBraden, sunknife, Duckdog and 25 others like this.
  7. JJ Cahill

Jun 10, 2018
    Ha, ha, thanks Gary; sometimes I feel that old though the latter may be a more accurate description!!!:rolleyes:
    Triumphant trio you have today with your GEC performing an outstanding job of meal prep!;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Extremely attractive GEC couple you have Ron; very cool!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Amazing pair of totes Jack; your Ulster has a very interesting punch that looks like an old Robeson design, awesome!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::D
    Thank you Harvey!!! The shot of your lambfoot is a real 3D stunner; another marvelous sight!:rolleyes::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Quite a lovely photograph of you wonderful Laguiole En Aubrac!!!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Almost impossible to beat the trusty old BSA scout knife; quite possibly my favorite pattern! Hang tough out there Bruce!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Classic combo of maple covers with the maple leaf; quite a gorgeous representative of an outstanding pattern!;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Very cool butter and molasses covers on you wonderful Shapleigh DE, Jeff; can't beat the old traditional beauties!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

8. JJ Cahill

Jun 10, 2018
    Very true, I've only seen that on a couple of vintage knives! I've got a "General Issue" in the Osage wood and am very impressed on all fronts; it also seems to have an incredible grind!:eek:

cigarrodog and TheFactor like this.
  9. TheFactor

Feb 26, 2015
    I love my Osage wood although it has the weakest walk and talk on the main blade out of all my 29’s . Not a deal breaker but probably about a 4 pull and light on the close. From what I’ve seen most of the early releases being the Osage wood were pretty much the weakest on the walk and talk . But with that being said I bet since all 3 blades on yours are flush at the half stop Gec didn’t stop there and I’m guessing yours is about a 6 and a snappy one at that :)

10. JJ Cahill

Jun 10, 2018
    The main is a bit lighter than the secondary blades; about a 5 main and 6's on the other two. Very happy all round!:)

TheFactor likes this.
  11. TheFactor

Feb 26, 2015
    Gec knocked these 29’s out of the park !
    Each run seemed to get better and better in the walk and talk area on the main blade . Fit and finish is remarkable on all of mine but I think my Maple leaf SFO is the best all around although it’s my favorite so I might be a little bias lol .

JJ Cahill likes this.
  12. JJ Cahill

Jun 10, 2018
    For Friday my totes are a couple with black covers; a Remington jack from the early 1930s and a NYKCo 75th BSA anniversary (1985) scout by Schrade.:D
    [​IMG]

TFBraden, sunknife, Ramrodmb and 31 others like this.
  13. JJ Cahill

Jun 10, 2018
    I agree, the maple covers with the maple leaf is an awesome combination; they definitely hit a home run! ;)

14. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Lost my quotes...:(

Can't pass on these two though...

Great-looking pair :thumbsup:

I'm stepping out on Friday with these two :) Have a good Friday folks, the weekend is almost upon us ;) :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TFBraden, sunknife, Ramrodmb and 27 others like this.
  15. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Thank you very much Gary.:):thumbsup:

16. Pt-Luso

Nov 8, 2014
    Thanks Gary.:):thumbsup:

17. Pt-Luso

Nov 8, 2014
    Good morning and great weekend, today with Puma 4 Star all stainless steel.;):thumbsup:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

TFBraden, mitch13, Duckdog and 15 others like this.
  18. Marlingspike12

Marlingspike12

May 28, 2019
    Good day everyone!
    [​IMG]

TFBraden, sunknife, mitch13 and 26 others like this.
  19. Travman

Travman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2016
    The Star of the Rendezvous
    [​IMG]

20. sunknife

sunknife Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2018