What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

EirZe6b.jpg

Had to show'em I knew how to use an old school weed whacker lol, but it needed sharpening first

Thank you JJ, the artwork is from my vintage sci-fi calendar :) :thumbsup:
I really enjoy the great old graphic art!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Great start to the week JJ :cool: :thumbsup:

Hope everyone had a great weekend, and that your week gets off to a good start :) Really enjoy carrying this pair :) :thumbsup:

tao9kjw.jpg

CU1uLnm.jpg
Thanks Jack!!!
Preeminent pair to begin your week!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Fine pair, excellent image, JJ. Exquisite sawcut on the Barlow, as well as the nice color and jigging on the Scout.
Thank you very much, Harvey!!!
3rd AD Spearhead Coin from @mitch4ging . Thanks Dennis. Brookes & Crookes Sheffield Lamb Foot, along for the ride.
76E03A19-9D9A-4591-A7F4-E62BDCCBC68D_zpshmvtnrux.jpeg

This presses all my buttons.
E05DC910-529B-40E1-AC15-4DCE7D721AF9_zpsxsevhwby.jpeg
Quite a distinguished couple you're toting today; both hitting on all cylinders like a well trained Armored Division!:eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks, JJ, and that's a fine photo of fantastic folders.
Thank you very kindly, Stuart!!!

I finally got this Joker Pastora. It is actually better than I thought. There are no large gaps anywhere in the handle, some small ones but I can live with those. The steel is mediocre, but was easy to sharpen and the edge had a working sharpness as it came. The handle is real horn (cheaper models have a handle made of ABS). The lock is surprisingly solid, no blade play in any direction, but I will treat this as a light use knife anyway. The action is not as smooth as in higher quality knives but still good enough, no grittiness. Only thing that really matters is that the lever rattles when closed. I wonder if it would be possible to tighten the lever pivot somehow? But this is a small flaw.

I had to write a small story about how I would like to use the knife.

"We rose out of the small convertible car we had rented. The scenery was fantastic up in the mountains, almost clear sky, with the sea and the river walley below. Spring weather was not too hot, but nice and warm. I carried a basket filled with food and other things we needed for our picknick to the table on the roadside resting place.

I snapped open the small navaja and cut some fresh bread, cheese and sausages, while she opened a bottle of spanish red wine. We smiled at each other over the glasses and took a sip. The fresh food and wine tasted delicious. I admired her long blonde hair and blue eyes. The small wrinkles around her eyes looked endearing and her figure was slim despite her age.

After the picknick and a walk in the mountains we drove to the small town where we stayed. I had reserved a table in a restaurant for a dinner. In the hotel we dressed up. I thought for a second and then put the knife on the table but took my panama hat and walking cane. We walked through the ancient streets to the restaurant. A man was playing a guitar, we knew that later there would be a flamenco show, something that I had allways admired.

Later we walked back to the hotel in the darkness, lighted by streetlamps. On an old stone bridge I paused in the moonlight to give her a kiss. The night was warm and there were bright stars on the clear sky."

hNLMq4v.jpg

Last edited:
#82 Possum... Blossom Skinner :D

fZDRkqc.jpg

Beautiful photo :) :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black - Thank you Jack. Your Hartshead “Flies like an Eagle.” Nice looking WC Black Jack.

3rd AD Spearhead Coin from @mitch4ging . Thanks Dennis. Brookes & Crookes Sheffield Lamb Foot, along for the ride.
76E03A19-9D9A-4591-A7F4-E62BDCCBC68D_zpshmvtnrux.jpeg

This presses all my buttons.
E05DC910-529B-40E1-AC15-4DCE7D721AF9_zpsxsevhwby.jpeg

Thanks a lot pal :) Two great pics there, I have a Press pass, but they never gave me a button :D :thumbsup:

And a Happy Texas Independence Day to you, Joshua.

A belated Texas Independence Day to all my Texan friends :) :thumbsup:

This is the only bloom around here (although it was warm today).
ADbZEnp.jpg

That's a great-looking loaf Dave, nice knife too ;) :) :thumbsup:

I really enjoy the great old graphic art!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks Jack!!!
Preeminent pair to begin your week!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Two more oldies for Tuesday, both from Hammer Brand (Imperial 1938-41.) :)

Many thanks JJ, those two are in astonishingly fine condition, incredible :cool: :thumbsup:

I finally got this Joker Pastora. It is actually better than I thought. There are no large gaps anywhere in the handle, some small ones but I can live with those. The steel is mediocre, but was easy to sharpen and the edge had a working sharpness as it came. The handle is real horn (cheaper models have a handle made of ABS). The lock is surprisingly solid, no blade play in any direction, but I will treat this as a light use knife anyway. The action is not as smooth as in higher quality knives but still good enough, no grittiness. Only thing that really matters is that the lever rattles when closed. I wonder if it would be possible to tighten the lever pivot somehow? But this is a small flaw.

I had to write a small story about how I would like to use the knife.

hNLMq4v.jpg

That's a very interesting knife Mr Finn, nicely introduced :) :thumbsup:

My humble Classic. So darn useful still after 20+ years of carrying it and new scales too!View attachment 1292423
I like those cheerful yellow covers! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I had lunch with Stuart @Duckdog on Thursday. We had a good hot meal at Whitlows on Wilson Ave in Arlington. This is one of the places that Stuart introduced me to last year when we first meet. Our meal yesterday was an Open Faced Turkey Sandwich. It was served on sourdough bread with mashed potatoes and gravy and cranberry sauce. They cook their own turkeys and it was delicious. Stuart and I were looking at three pockets full of fine traditional folders that he was totin for show and tell. The assortment consisted of Black Box Winchester’s and Schrade made Parker-Frost with Bone and Stag Bone handles.
Sounds like good food and good fun for you guys! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Superb pair with impressive bone, Taylor! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

The first lambsfoot on a skateboard I've ever seen! :cool::thumbsup::D

5K Qs 5K Qs - That Colt Black Stag Sowbelly is a humdinger.:thumbsup:
Thanks, Harvey. :) (I haven't heard "humdinger" in a long time. ;))

Carried this Boker 280 Whittler yesterday, I’ve owned it for several years but never carried it more than a time or two before.
That's an appealing knife, Bruce; I like the blade combo and that distinctive Böker "finger-groove" jigging! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

I'll be adding my Douk-Douk to this duo for the dirty work.View attachment 1293139
Terrific trio, Alan! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

My Rosewood Lambsfoot is riding solo today.
Looking good, John! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

I'll have to ask my son, he's the font guy. ;)
:thumbsup::)

5K Qs 5K Qs good luck in your search - never know what is laying around in a junk store, second-hand store, curio shop, pawn shop, etc. Most of my finds are just that. OH
Thanks for the encouragement; I need to get more systematic about checking some of the local possibilities. :)

Churchill and an Ulster Jack
Phenomenal pair, Steve! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: I usually prefer your vintage bone knives, but that ebony Churchill is quite a prize!

I always think it looks like it'd be an excellent whittling knife Gary. Maybe you'll get a Puukko one day :) Thank you buddy :thumbsup:
Well, there WERE some big crowds there! ;) :D :thumbsup:
I'm carrying my regular Hartshead Barlow, and an Ulster BSA Scout very kindly gifted to me a few years back by Mr @paulhilborn :) :thumbsup:
Thanks for your replies, Jack. :) I've looked seriously at some Marttiini knives.
Your gift Ulster looks very useful! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

First time carrying Amherst Cutlery Canoe, received as a gift. Thank you again Mike, @Nature Boy . I believe this will become a “go to”, center console of the car, knife.

View attachment 1293278
Congrats on the gift canoe! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

A bonny bunch, Gary! Your Case Humpback stockman drew my eye, as usual. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks, Dean, it's definitely an attention grabber. :)

I'm carrying these two for Leap Stagerday, which will not occur again until 2048 so I didn't want to miss this one. I'll be 93 (or not) when the next one comes around! ;)

Simmons Hardware stag penknife and our wonderful 2018 Bladeforums knife.

View attachment 1293479
Good to know when the next Leaping Saturday is! ;):thumbsup: Charming commemorative couple; that stag pen knife is glorious! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

You got it right, Gary. Great sleuthing on your part! I'd been looking for that Lake for years. When I saw G2 had one I let him know toute suite that I'd be interested if he decided to part with it. I guess I asked first. I'm happy to have it.
The Gary's I know are pretty good fellas!

Chicken eyeing the Lake as I have bowl of White Bean Chicken Chili for lunch earlier. Man was that chili good!...
Thanks for the confirmation, Gary. :) That chili looks delicious (but I say that about any chili I see :rolleyes:).

Thanks. No, two different manufacturers.
Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

Carrying these today as we went over to see our latest Great Grandchild . Little Girl was born late yesterday .
73 & 43...
Harry
Congrats on your new great granddaughter, Harry! :):thumbsup::cool: Auspicious pair of stag knives you carried to meet her! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Thanks to youz guyz!!
Great posts by everyone, would love to comment on all, but got a bit of an injury.
So my contribution from today...
Nice Imperial/Case/geode combo, Dennis! :cool::thumbsup::cool: I hope your back makes a fast comeback.

Thank you kindly, Gary; the week was more interesting than usual!:rolleyes::thumbsup::thumbsup:
That's probably good, right? ;)

For Sunday I'm going with these two from Schrade. :)
What a notable pair, JJ! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks a lot GT, I can't see the engraving happening though, the last time I had a knife engraved, (for a friend's kid), the engraver made a right mess of it o_O :thumbsup:
Sorry to hear about the botched engraving, Jack. :(
Quite a difference in "energy levels" in the backgrounds for your HHB and your soupy TC! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

View attachment 1293958Camco scout and Puma small trapper, both in buffalo horn.
Buffalo horn, won't you come out tonight?

- GT

Grabbed the Craftsman yesterday morning (thought I was grabbing the Case 6332 - close in size and shape in the dark). Got to cut a fair amount of mono yesterday - water was low in the river, snagged several rigs and the fellow I was fishing with forgot his pocketknife - had to let him cut his tags as well. Still don't think we wore it out! OH
Craftsman-95024-A-C-A-EDGE.jpg

Back