What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Duckdog

Duckdog Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2012
    @Jack Black I'm feasting and toasting in your honor, my friend. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Jack, and I hope that you have many, many more happy ones.

[​IMG]

- Stuart

2. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    I've been carrying my red bone Case 06247 the past two days. I've been finishing out some 1x4 trim on my back patio, and had to trim some old dried caulk and paint off a piece of 1x2 trim that I was putting back up. Out came the Case...worked like a champ.
    When putting up the new 1x4 stuff, I had to notch the end of one of them to fit.... I may be the only person in history to baton a Case pen blade into the endgrain of a 1x4. :thumbsup: I'll have to googly it to see, but I'm betting I'm the first... I was just too lazy to go find my wood chisel, and this little scrap would have almost just snapped off, but... why pass up an opportunity? :cool: It's been a "2 Case" carry couple of days.... the red swayback jack is in the watch pocket.

This is the carpenter's helper I used...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  3. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Good grief, that photo literally made my mouth water....

4. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    That looks delicious! Might be the best looking steak I’ve ever seen. Mind sharing what cut of meat it is and how you prepared it? I like your choice of “condiments” as well ;)

Pinemoon, Old Hunter, Duckdog and 2 others like this.
  5. JJ Cahill

JJ Cahill Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Thanks very much Jack!!!
    Really liking your triple choices; they're not only mighty handy, they look great in action too!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Thanks a bunch, Harvey!!!
    Outstanding pair of jacks; the "burnt nan" shot looks incredible (love that Indian cuisine!) :D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

cigarrodog, chuck4570 and Jack Black like this.
  6. JJ Cahill

JJ Cahill Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Going with these two trappers today. :)
    [​IMG]

7. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Today with this beautiful Portuguese knife in horn.;):thumbsup:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Cool Pic :) :thumbsup:

Wow Stuart, I'm honoured :) Thank you very much pal :) :thumbsup:

Thanks JJ, quality pair of Trappers there my friend :thumbsup:

Morning everyone, I've been out foraging this morning ;) Very quiet out, even in the well-stocked supermarket. Hope you're all doing OK, and keeping well :) Toting these three today, my Hartshead Barlow, a random Boker Copperhead, and my Enzo Elver :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Amir Fleschwund

Amir Fleschwund Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2008
    @Jack Black ~ I missed that it was your birthday, so belated wishes for a happy day today, and happier days to come!

B373889E-F978-48E2-8255-DA5999543B17.jpeg Another day at home...

10. Hazelaar

Hazelaar

Jan 9, 2014
    Because schools are closed I have to provide teaching at home for my pupils.
    I'm a practical teacher in gardening, so it's quite a challenge to teach this through the screen...
    But totday I tought them the theory behind pollarding and coppicing, the comanion for this is an old beat up victorinox Gak, which I put new padauk scales on and changed the knifeblade for an old sentinel blade I had laying around. Had to trim the bladeshape a bit to fit in the 108mm frame so ended up with a lambsfoot-like blade, all in all a nice knife I don't ever baby...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Nice Wusthoff. Nice to see somebody carving on wood instead of ceramic.
    Coppicing! I was going to do that here.
    I always thought pollarding was a bizarre aesthetic practice. Is it useful? Duh, heard of google, Jer?
    [Looks like I was right for once.]

12. Hazelaar

Hazelaar

Jan 9, 2014
    Well pollarding is a cultural thing here in Belgium/Flanders. It's done to create tiny microhabitats for animals Athene noctua or bats. It's also a good way to collect firewood in a sustainable way and it gives the tree, in our cases willow and poplar a greater lifepsan than it would have just growing on its own. Hazel isn't pollarded in our region but coppiced and oak or beech can be pollarded but has a greater cycle in pollarding 10 years in between cutting in stead of 3 to 5 for willow.

13. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I should have known I wouldn't be right for a change. But bats- ew.
    Thanks.

chuck4570 likes this.
  14. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Wow Stuart! It’s good to see y’all are managing to eat well while social distancing! :thumbsup: :D

Jack it sounds as if you had a productive shopping trip. :thumbsup: Your trio for today will surely handle any cutting chores that arise! ;) Be well my friend! :)

15. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Among the knives I'm carrying this week are the ones posted here. I'll post representatives of other categories in my weekly carry rotation throughout the week, the Lord willing and the creek don't rise.
    Alox Knife of the Week is a black Pioneer (pictured with a silver Electrician I'm NOT carrying this week):
    blk&silver.vert.closed.jpg

non-Alox SAK of the Week is a pre-owned Huntsman I picked up at a gun&knife show almost 5 years ago:
    huntsman.open.jpg

Bailed non-SAK of the Week is a Rough Rider scout knife. I think it's my 3rd of this model; I keep giving them away and then buying another:
    camper.red.mark.closed.jpg

International Knife of the Week is a burnt boxwood Taramundi I bought in Sevilla, Spain in late December 2014:
    taramundi.open.out.jpg

- GT

TFBraden, btb01, K33ncutter and 29 others like this.
  16. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    7D8448FD-BEC7-4E62-BCBC-B8489411ECF9.jpeg

17. chuck4570

chuck4570 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Still at work with these two.
    upload_2020-3-31_8-49-16.jpeg

18. Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck Singing along with the voices in my head Gold Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Newly arrived Texas Jack in the pocket today.

[​IMG]

19. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Good morning y’all! :) I’m carrying these today. I’ve got a Schrade 804 Whittler and a Wright’s wee Sambar Lambsfoot. :thumbsup: :)

[​IMG]

My random carry today is a Camillus Pen knife. Advertising Monroe Hardware from 1983. I believe that Stuart @Duckdog said that Monroe Hardware was still in business. Located of course in Monroe NC! :D

[​IMG]

20. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    A well armed trip to the Market. All fine choices too. :cool::thumbsup:

A beautiful Big Texas Jack. :cool::thumbsup: