What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

32515245317_ba5c51c8f8_b.jpg

Jack Black Jack Black ~ I missed that it was your birthday, so belated wishes for a happy day today, and happier days to come!

View attachment 1312734 Another day at home...

Many thanks Jeff, that's very kind of you :)

Well pollarding is a cultural thing here in Belgium/Flanders. It's done to create tiny microhabitats for animals Athene noctua or bats. It's also a good way to collect firewood in a sustainable way and it gives the tree, in our cases willow and poplar a greater lifepsan than it would have just growing on its own. Hazel isn't pollarded in our region but coppiced and oak or beech can be pollarded but has a greater cycle in pollarding 10 years in between cutting in stead of 3 to 5 for willow.

Pollarding = :thumbsup: ;)

Jack it sounds as if you had a productive shopping trip. :thumbsup: Your trio for today will surely handle any cutting chores that arise! ;) Be well my friend! :)

Yes Ron, not bad, and it came with a 3 mile walk for exercise :) Thank you very much my friend, I had the Dredd badge in case there was any mischief! :D :thumbsup:

Among the knives I'm carrying this week are the ones posted here. I'll post representatives of other categories in my weekly carry rotation throughout the week, the Lord willing and the creek don't rise.
Alox Knife of the Week is a black Pioneer (pictured with a silver Electrician I'm NOT carrying this week):
View attachment 1312760

non-Alox SAK of the Week is a pre-owned Huntsman I picked up at a gun&knife show almost 5 years ago:
View attachment 1312762

Bailed non-SAK of the Week is a Rough Rider scout knife. I think it's my 3rd of this model; I keep giving them away and then buying another:
View attachment 1312763

International Knife of the Week is a burnt boxwood Taramundi I bought in Sevilla, Spain in late December 2014:
View attachment 1312764

- GT

Very nice Gary :) :thumbsup:

Good morning y’all! :) I’m carrying these today. I’ve got a Schrade 804 Whittler and a Wright’s wee Sambar Lambsfoot. :thumbsup: :)

49719906541_66b2d4706b_c_d.jpg

My random carry today is a Camillus Pen knife. Advertising Monroe Hardware from 1983. I believe that Stuart @Duckdog said that Monroe Hardware was still in business. Located of course in Monroe NC! :D

49720175081_3c12003ca3_c_d.jpg

Three aces Ron :cool: :thumbsup:

I think it has been more than 2 weeks since I posted anything other than some of the knives I carry each day – none of my usual posts thanking folks for their compliments and sharing their excitement over the knives they're carrying. I miss doing that, but somehow my "social distancing" has unintentionally carried over to BF lately. I think I'm about 60 or more pages behind, and I'm not going to even try to catch up. I will try to at least respond to posts from the past 2+ weeks that are directed specifically to me; apologies if I miss some of them.

Thanks for your take on the Pioneer X scissors, Bill. :)
How are you liking your titanium Compact?

It's cool that you could give that Opinel a week-long tryout, Tom. :)

Your kind words are always appreciated, Harvey. :)

Thanks, Dean; it would probably be an EDC if I weren't committed to a red celidor Minichamp that I like even better. ;)

Thanks, John and Jack. :) John, you'd have enjoyed the numeric excitement of @Will Power's "guess my license tag number" GAW: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/guess-right-stockman-gaw.1559650/
I was very fortunate to win. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Harvey & Matt. :) Matt, I think the ram's horn, especially the crater has a positive effect on lots of people! ;)

I appreciate the support, even in my absence, gents! :)
Jack, your stag HHB and the orange Bull Nose were quite a pair! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks, Dean and @Laurelbb. :) The RR Half-Hawk is 4" closed, with a relatively large pen blade.

I'm grateful for your liking my lambsfoot pic, Jack and Stuart. :)
Terrific trio you're toting in these trying times, Jack! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks, José! :) I hope you and your country are handling this pandemic well.

Thanks for the encouragement regarding both my avocation and my vocation, Dean! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

More catch-up quotes tomorrow. ;)

I'll conclude with more of my carries for this week.
Watchpocket knife this week is a Rough Rider pen knife with copper bolsters and grooved horn covers:
View attachment 1311308

Big knife this week is a white smooth bone RR marlin spike:
View attachment 1311310

Miscellaneous knife this week is a Sarge BSA barlow:
View attachment 1311311

- GT
I think it has been more than 2 weeks since I posted anything other than some of the knives I carry each day – none of my usual posts thanking folks for their compliments and sharing their excitement over the knives they're carrying. I miss doing that, but somehow my "social distancing" has unintentionally carried over to BF lately. I think I'm about 60 or more pages behind, and I'm not going to even try to catch up. I will try to at least respond to posts from the past 2+ weeks that are directed specifically to me; apologies if I miss some of them.

Thanks for your take on the Pioneer X scissors, Bill. :)
How are you liking your titanium Compact?

It's cool that you could give that Opinel a week-long tryout, Tom. :)

Your kind words are always appreciated, Harvey. :)

Thanks, Dean; it would probably be an EDC if I weren't committed to a red celidor Minichamp that I like even better. ;)

Thanks, John and Jack. :) John, you'd have enjoyed the numeric excitement of @Will Power's "guess my license tag number" GAW: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/guess-right-stockman-gaw.1559650/
I was very fortunate to win. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Harvey & Matt. :) Matt, I think the ram's horn, especially the crater has a positive effect on lots of people! ;)

I appreciate the support, even in my absence, gents! :)
Jack, your stag HHB and the orange Bull Nose were quite a pair! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks, Dean and @Laurelbb. :) The RR Half-Hawk is 4" closed, with a relatively large pen blade.

I'm grateful for your liking my lambsfoot pic, Jack and Stuart. :)
Terrific trio you're toting in these trying times, Jack! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks, José! :) I hope you and your country are handling this pandemic well.

Thanks for the encouragement regarding both my avocation and my vocation, Dean! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

More catch-up quotes tomorrow. ;)

I'll conclude with more of my carries for this week.
Watchpocket knife this week is a Rough Rider pen knife with copper bolsters and grooved horn covers:
View attachment 1311308

Big knife this week is a white smooth bone RR marlin spike:
View attachment 1311310

Miscellaneous knife this week is a Sarge BSA barlow:
View attachment 1311311

- GT
Just came in the mail - the Compact Mod. Quality of the build is super. All titanium scales, liners and pocket clip. Nice feel in the pocket and in the hand. The pocket clip is very well designed and robust. Still deciding if I will leave it on or remove it (came with a screw and cover plug if I remove the clip). I have some ideas about the parcel hook; will let you know what I plan to do - if anything - when I finally decide. The Pioneer X is definitely a beast compared to this knife. This SAK is more EDC pocket friendly for sure. The inlaid copper cross is really fetching.

IMG_2252.JPG IMG_2253.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2255.JPG
    IMG_2255.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 1312819 View attachment 1312820 View attachment 1312821 View attachment 1312823 View attachment 1312822

Here is to our intrepid explorer Jack Black Jack Black for venturing out. And yes, he was well armed JohnDF JohnDF . I always wondered what Jack would carry during Armageddon! Happy Birthday Jack!

I have been staying on the farm trying to get as much done as possible during my exile.

Today, I am totin the infamous GEC 47 Viper made back in the day when GEC still put a shield on Stag. (They even put shields on the higher quality Genuine and Natural Stag, which was not burnt.).

The Viper was one of the patterns that hooked me on GEC. It was hard to get this one, and they are still pretty hard to find. The pattern is the inverse of the 74. I am not usually a wharncliff fan, but this one was a must have for me.

Next up, three of the all time greats, the 72, 73, and 74!

I love that Texas Jack @Crazy Canuck ! Is it the 92 or 32 pattern. I also love that 47 @hornetguy . Both of those are classics.

@Duckdog , Stuart, we are still waiting to hear more about that amazing steak! What was the cut and how did you cook it?

Many thanks Leslie, those zombies never stood a chance! ;) :D Viper is a good-looking knife :) :thumbsup:

th6lcgy.jpg

BdqCbzg.jpg

African Rosewood lambsfoot SFO Jack Black
Bar River Little Creek @Crazy Canuck GAW

A fine pair Dan :)

Wife and I took a walk this afternoon through a piece of the Croatan National Forest that comes out on the White Oak River. Cool and overcast afternoon, carried my Buck 501 with me. Saw one young family fishing on the bank, passed two other hikers in the woods - very few people about. OH
Buck-501-Esquire.jpg

Croatan-National-Forest-3-31-20.jpg

White-Oak-RIver-inland-3-31-20.jpg

Back