What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Great pics Ron :) Hope we can all roam free again soon ;) :thumbsup:
Thank you Jack! I sincerely hope we can too Jack! :) :thumbsup:

Caught up at last! :eek: :D Morning folks, not a regular weekend for most of us, but I hope you're safe and well, and find something to do :) You folks still working, put your feet up! :) :thumbsup:

My greedy threesome for today ;) :thumbsup:

TI4bfnu.jpg

PxFYsi3.jpg

FAO2fFI.jpg
A great looking trio Jack! Be safe out there! :) :thumbsup:

View attachment 1315246 View attachment 1315247 View attachment 1315245

I usually avoid modifying my knives with a couple of exceptions. But the smooth bone 78 seemed to be the perfect pallet for scrimshaw. I sent this knife to a very talented artist named Linda Layden, and I love what she did to to this knife. It really captures my imagination and seems to adhere to the time honored tradition of seafaring knives.

So where am I in my top 14 GEC patterns; 15, 25, 35, 42, 43, 47, 72, 73, 74, 77, and 78. Three left to go.

Beautiful ebony knives JohnDF JohnDF ! Perhaps my single favorite cover of them all. I got a laugh out of your comment about Jack @Jack Black rejecting your Case Wharncliff Trapper as a NON Lambsfoot. He rides herd very closely, but I can understand why he does it. The Guardians thread is unique and one of the best. As I was forced to trim down my collection, I reluctantly had to let all of my Lambs go. Now, I dare not post anything suspect over there. I do miss the Guardians and peep in every once in a while. It is like reading a James Herriot novel and very much worthy of Jack’s zealous guardianship. I have Yorkshire on my short list to visit when things settle down.

Thanks AnW AnW , I know what you mean. If it is not done well, scrimshaw can look tacky.

Last edited:

I usually avoid modifying my knives with a couple of exceptions. But the smooth bone 78 seemed to be the perfect pallet for scrimshaw. I sent this knife to a very talented artist named Linda Layden, and I love what she did to to this knife. It really captures my imagination and seems to adhere to the time honored tradition of seafaring knives.

So where am I in my top 14 GEC patterns; 15, 25, 35, 42, 43, 47, 72, 73, 74, 77, and 78. Three left to go.

I'm not always a fan of scrimshaw, but this one looks awesome!

Decided to try making some venison jerky in the smoker. If it turns out well, I'll enjoy some with a nice, cold adult beverage this evening.

If the lawn dries out sufficiently I guess I'll cut it for the first time this year.

I'm Jonesing to get out trout fishing but I think I'm going to wait until the quarantine is loosened.

Hope all have a nice weekend.

k82Wrp4.jpg

Beautiful ebony knives JohnDF JohnDF ! Perhaps my single favorite cover of them all. I got a laugh out of your comment about Jack @Jack Black rejecting your Case Wharncliff Trapper as a NON Lambsfoot. He rides herd very closely, but I can understand why he does it. The Guardians thread is unique and one of the best. As I was forced to trim down my collection, I reluctantly had to let all of my Lambs go. Now, I dare not post anything suspect over there. I do miss the Guardians and peep in every once in a while. It is like reading a James Herriot novel and very much worthy of Jack’s zealous guardianship. I have Yorkshire on my list to visit when things settle down.

Thanks AnW AnW , I know what you mean. If it is not done well, scrimshaw can look tacky.
Wow! That is some beautiful work.

I was just pondering doing some scrimming today, since it's going to be raining all weekend. I'm not so sure now. Anything I do sure won't compare.

Maybe I'll just work at putting a patina on this big Case.
RSfNZj0.jpg

Beautiful ebony knives JohnDF JohnDF ! Perhaps my single favorite cover of them all. I got a laugh out of your comment about Jack @Jack Black rejecting your Case Wharncliff Trapper as a NON Lambsfoot. He rides herd very closely, but I can understand why he does it. The Guardians thread is unique and one of the best. As I was forced to trim down my collection, I reluctantly had to let all of my Lambs go. Now, I dare not post anything suspect over there. I do miss the Guardians and peep in every once in a while. It is like reading a James Herriot novel and very much worthy of Jack’s zealous guardianship. I have Yorkshire on my short list to visit when things settle down.

That is FANTASTIC LT:cool::cool::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

That makes me want to get my tying station set up. Its been far too long since I tied or had my 4wt out.

I started tying again this year after a couple year hiatus. I joined a club that met on Tuesday nights at a local brewery. Hopefully we'll be able to start meeting again soon!

Started nice and easy with some euro Euro nymphs ...
bJ2oRsD.jpg

Looks like lots of good fish catchers in there!
That's my nymph box.
Obviously some others wandered in there too. :D
I might spend some time reorganizing all my fly boxes.

That makes me want to get my tying station set up. Its been far too long since I tied or had my 4wt out.
Now I wish I had learned to tie flies.
That would be a great way to pass the hours during this lock down. :cool::thumbsup:

Back