What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Scintillating scout, Tom! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Studies show that 87% of the old pocket knives with broken blades on E**y could have been prevented with a TL-29
Do you have citations for those studies, Jeff? I could use those in a stats class! :D:thumbsup:

Day 43... Still no snow, but Fall is definitely in the air. Brewing a little warmth and comfort ;)
Not going to lie, part of me is now looking forward to a bit of snow. This is still a great knife and I'm enjoying it, but I'm starting to miss the variety :D
You're nothing but a knife floozy, Mike! :rolleyes::cool::cool:

A definite keeper!:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Terrific triple play, Gary; the buffalo covers on your lamb are amazing!:thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
Thanks, JJ. :) Don't know if you can see it, but there's a red spot near the butt of the pile side on the buffalo horn lambsfoot that I call "the eye of the tiger". :rolleyes:

Toting these two German made stag brutes today; a Puma Hunter and a five bladed Bulldog stockman. :)
tuxpi-com-1466286575-zpsyljqon6r.jpg
A 1991 Winchester and an older Hoffritz. Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend!
Some stag for Sunday.
SXSVp7a.jpg
JJ, Dee, Les, and @Magizm7 : you've posted some astonishing stag! :cool::thumbsup::cool:
With apologies to Jerry Lee Lewis:
You shake my nerves and you rattle my brain
Too much stag drives a man insane
You broke my will, but what a thrill
Goodness gracious, great knives of stag

My daughter's new mini copperlock , she took these pics earlier today :)

O9baznD.jpg

Knife and photos are first-class, Dan; congrats to your daughter! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thank you very much GT!
Wait...:eek:

good thing I wasn’t carrying a sowbelly!;)
Good point, Jeff; maybe I need to rethink my carrying a sowbelly every day! :eek::rolleyes:

I bought a pocket pal (aka “excelsior”) over the summer when I was visiting my mother in WV. I loved it so much upon receipt that I gave it to my Great Uncle For his 90th. Great, simple gentlemen’s knife. Proof that Victorinox can make a functional simple pen knife. I’ve been eyeballing those garden knives as a good working knife and talk myself out of it... which is silly considering how inexpensive they are.
I like the story, Dan. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I need to check out that Excelsior model that replaced the Pocket Pal.
I certainly recommend the garden/florist knife with the chisel grind sheepsfoot. At first I thought it had strange proportions, with the blade too short for the handle. But once I got mine, I realized that the handle is "over-sized" which is great for handling the knife, rather than the blade being "under-sized"; plenty of blade for what I typically use it.

It's a Sisyphean struggle GT! :D Thanks my friend, I'm pairing them again today :) :thumbsup:
Terrific trio GT :) :thumbsup:

I don't think I've worn them since about 1983! :D :thumbsup:
Dropping these two in my pocket again today :thumbsup:

5Sibvse.jpg

:D I wonder if "kids these days" understand references from classical mythology?
That pair is worth an encore performance! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
Thanks for the compliment, Jack. :)
I look forward to wearing t-shirts and shorts during June, July, and August! :cool:
Love the golden-brown crust on that pie, Jack! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

View attachment 1431099
R2D2's cousin with headset.
:D:D

Today with this Portuguese Nicul, all stainless steel and scrimshaw.;):thumbsup:

Fantastic fish art, José! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Great Lamb, GT. :cool::thumbsup:
Thanks, John. :)

Happy Sunday Everybody... and Go Hawks!
Those Seahawks are a bunch of Outlaws, John! ;):cool::cool:

Two Cases, both from 1972. View attachment 1431153View attachment 1431154@Old Hunter ~ I guess great minds think alike.
Really admire that slimline trapper! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

GEC#62 in Red Bone for Sunday.
49VK5Yp.jpg
Enchanting knife! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Canoe in red Appaloosa bone today.
I can't let a canoe paddle by without acknowledging its desirability! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

W:eek:W, Joshua, how did you get access to a time machine?? What a pristine old gunstock! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Well, it’s October, and in my book, that means it’s time for a vacation alone to the woods. I do this every year for a week and I anticipate this all year long. I’ll be deep in a Tennessee mountain valley and by God’s good grace I’ll have no cell access.
Have a safe and rejuvenating trip, Jon! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: This Michigan boy hopes you have enough blankets for October nights, if you're sleeping under the stars! :eek:

- GT

Last edited:
Day 43... Still no snow, but Fall is definitely in the air. Brewing a little warmth and comfort ;)

FJeQum1.jpg

Not going to lie, part of me is now looking forward to a bit of snow. This is still a great knife and I'm enjoying it, but I'm starting to miss the variety :D
Now that I've retired, the snow is less of a PITA that it has been in the past. I've got all my wood piled and covered and I'm ready to sit all day in my jammies, drinking coffee or tea. I'll smile and wave at all the suckers that have to shovel out their lanes and brave the drive into work at 6am, plowing through gobs of sleet and snow.
VhnioTS.jpg

Last edited:
I like the story, Dan. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I need to check out that Excelsior model that replaced the Pocket Pal.
I certainly recommend the garden/florist knife with the chisel grind sheepsfoot. At first I thought it had strange proportions, with the blade too short for the handle. But once I got mine, I realized that the handle is "over-sized" which is great for handling the knife, rather than the blade being "under-sized"; plenty of blade for what I typically use it.

From what I've read, the name "pocket pal" was what the "excelsior" model was sold under here in the US. They seem to have abandoned that in recent years. It's the same knife.

There's a chisel grind on the florist's knife? hmmm... I've never really had good luck with asymmetric grinds before. Good info to have! :thumbsup:

Scintillating scout, Tom! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Do you have citations for those studies, Jeff? I could use those in a stats class! :D:thumbsup:

You're nothing but a knife floozy, Mike! :rolleyes::cool::cool:

Thanks, JJ. :) Don't know if you can see it, but there's a red spot near the butt of the pile side on the buffalo horn lambsfoot that I call "the eye of the tiger". :rolleyes:

JJ, Dee, Les, and @Magizm7 : you've posted some astonishing stag! :cool::thumbsup::cool:
With apologies to Jerry Lee Lewis:
You shake my nerves and you rattle my brain
Too much stag drives a man insane
You broke my will, but what a thrill
Goodness gracious, great knives of stag

Knife and photos are first-class, Dan; congrats to your daughter! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Good point, Jeff; maybe I need to rethink my carrying a sowbelly every day! :eek::rolleyes:

:D I wonder if "kids these days" understand references from classical mythology?
That pair is worth an encore performance! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
Thanks for the compliment, Jack. :)
I look forward to wearing t-shirts and shorts during June, July, and August! :cool:
Love the golden-brown crust on that pie, Jack! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

:D:D

Fantastic fish art, José! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks, John. :)

Those Seahawks are a bunch of Outlaws, John! ;):cool::cool:

Really admire that slimline trapper! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Enchanting knife! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

I can't let a canoe paddle by without acknowledging its desirability! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

W:eek:W, Joshua, how did you get access to a time machine?? What a pristine old gunstock! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Have a safe and rejuvenating trip, Jon! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: This Michigan boy hopes you have enough blankets for October nights, if you're sleeping under the stars! :eek:

- GT

Thanks, Gary! I'm not sure how old that Gunstock is, but it is in fine shape in any case.

Back