What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Pocket pair for this week - Boker Grenadill Barlow and SAK Recruit.
original.jpg

From what I've read, the name "pocket pal" was what the "excelsior" model was sold under here in the US. They seem to have abandoned that in recent years. It's the same knife.

There's a chisel grind on the florist's knife? hmmm... I've never really had good luck with asymmetric grinds before. Good info to have! :thumbsup:

I posted this before, so bear with me if y’all already know it...

A chisel grind is for use with live plants. Not exclusively, of course, because they are also the grind to use for precision cuts along a straight edge or other guide. But in the case of the Florist, sheepfoot or hawkbill, it’s safe to say it’s to protect the plant. The flat edge ~ opposite the chisel ground edge ~ goes toward the plant, and the ground side toward the part being cut off. The flat edge slices cleanly with no microscopic crushing, which is especially important in grafting.
I’m not a grafter, but I always use one of my Vic pruners on any vegt plants at the farm. (Also important to sanitize ~ I use alcohol on a rag~ between plants for plant health.
Chisel grinds are easy to sharpen.

hanks, JJ. :) Don't know if you can see it, but there's a red spot near the butt of the pile side on the buffalo horn lambsfoot that I call "the eye of the tiger". :rolleyes:
That does look awesome Gary! :D:thumbsup:
JJ, Dee, Les, and @Magizm7 : you've posted some astonishing stag! :cool::thumbsup::cool:
With apologies to Jerry Lee Lewis:
You shake my nerves and you rattle my brain
Too much stag drives a man insane
You broke my will, but what a thrill
Goodness gracious, great knives of stag
Thanks kindly!!!

Back