What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

wouUKFh.jpg

You sound like a true artist, Dean. ;):thumbsup:
Thanks for the RR half whittler compliment. I'm quite happy with most of my RR knives, but the half whittler has a flaw (I may have showed this before):
Mark side:
View attachment 1442005
Pile side:
View attachment 1442006

Striking blue beauty, Dean! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: After seeing yours, I spent some time looking to see if that color is still available - found a couple of places, now I have to act! :rolleyes:

- GT

Thank you, Gary. Your RR half whittler does not have a flaw; it has a feature.

Big Knife of the Week is a MAM Iberica:
View attachment 1442019

Watch Pocket Knife of the Week is an Imperial Diamond Edge (thanks, Mark):
View attachment 1442020

Miscellaneous Knife of the Week is a Rough Rider amber jigged bone Barlow:
View attachment 1442017

- GT

It's always nice to see your sleek unclothed Imperial Diamond Edge, Gary.

This will be the last day for X-Caliber for a while.
I'm getting super bored carrying the same thing every day.
I wanted to see what it was like for past generations to just carry the same tool until it wore out.
But that's not really me (us), we have too much disposable income and it's much too fun to have some variety.
I guess to me, knives are more that just a tool. So, I want to be able switch it up as I see fit and have fun with it.

I made it about six weeks... ;)

I think you have a good idea there. :cool::thumbsup:
I could pick a knife that always stays with me, and then rotate a second choice each day to ride along with it.
I recommend this approach. You get that long-time-bonding with your every day knife, and still get to change things up daily. It's the best of both worlds.
yZm0UqRm.jpg
mPNgKcZm.jpg

driBsAjm.jpg
lNNJhCTm.jpg

2jsVPatm.jpg

I wanted to see what it was like for past generations to just carry the same tool until it wore out.
But that's not really me (us), we have too much disposable income and it's much too fun to have some variety.
I guess to me, knives are more that just a tool. So, I want to be able switch it up as I see fit and have fun with it.

It was a good run. I might have to give it a try (but I think I'd have to rotate a 2nd choice in there to keep it company from time to time).

That green bone EO is awfully nice too, Paul. Looks like it might be sporting a small amount of pocket wear on the bone, which really adds to the character and appeal. Ya gotta love a knife like that, a survivor with beauty marks.:thumbsup:
Same for the scout.:thumbsup:
Thanks Greg and the ole Case does have a nice honest smooth pocket worn feel to it. The owner cared for this knife and it shows. It has it's share of battle scars over the years and when I post a pic of the pen you'll see it was the owners favorite blade:) Also the repair near the EO notch was done well, not perfect but enough to accomplish the task at hand. I enjoy imagining the life a vintage knife has lived and the owner who cared for it all those years:)

Truth to that!

My issue is similar in a way. I have a few staples - the B&S (since I got it), my Cadet, and a Rambler on my keys, that seem inseparable from my body. Then I try to mix in another blade so it’s not boring and I can accommodate other tasks (usual a knife with a sheepsfoot or wharncliffe).

But then I have the problem of carrying too much! So do I drop one of the staples so it’s not as bland? Or simply only rotate out one blade - which gets boring as well?

I think this classifies as a “first world problem”....

That's a great looking little fixed blade. :cool::thumbsup:

Thank you, John! I can't recommend @JK Knives and his Bluegill enough. My most carried fixed blade by far.

It was a good run. I might have to give it a try (but I think I'd have to rotate a 2nd choice in there to keep it company from time to time).

I've been doing this for ~4.5 years. My Peanut is always with me (even if it isn't in a photo), and the rest are up for daily decisions. It's fantastic. You create a bond with a knife you already like while still experiencing all the fun stuff about new knives. You might even find out that a certain pattern doesn't work as well as you expected or a knife you didn't have much of an opinion on at the beginning winds up being your favorite after continued carry. I still haven't found something better than my Peanut for a true edc, and I may never find one. I'm going to have fun doing research, though. ;)

Thank you, John! I can't recommend @JK Knives and his Bluegill enough. My most carried fixed blade by far.

I've been doing this for ~4.5 years. My Peanut is always with me (even if it isn't in a photo), and the rest are up for daily decisions. It's fantastic. You create a bond with a knife you already like while still experiencing all the fun stuff about new knives. You might even find out that a certain pattern doesn't work as well as you expected or a knife you didn't have much of an opinion on at the beginning winds up being your favorite after continued carry. I still haven't found something better than my Peanut for a true edc, and I may never find one. I'm going to have fun doing research, though. ;)
I should do this with my Lambsfoot, as it is a small and easy to carry knife. The lambsfoot also handles about any task I need.

Back