What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

RALF with a couple of pocket buddies.

c3CWzBR.jpg

Woot. Moisture. Been a really dry year here. Had a small amount of rain a few days ago. Light rain off and on a bit today, now raining a bit heavier, supposed to change over to snow and then rain/ snow mix through Tuesday. Bring it. We need it.

Carry for this coming week - back to the Boker Expedition Barlow, with the black Alox Cadet SAK still on the key ring and a mini kephart available if I need a fixed blade.
original.jpg

Boker really knocked it out of the park with the Expedition Barlow; it's absolutely stunning. :thumbsup::thumbsup: How does it feel/perform in hand?

View attachment 1497648 View attachment 1497647

Who needs a glitter gold TC Barlow?!

Well @r8shell , here is your glitter gold! Or in Case lingo, Stardust Kirinite. I know Rachal loves this material, but I am not sure how Tony Bose would react to this on his Tribal Lock! Regardless of how you feel about this cover material, the Tribal Lock is one hell of a knife!

Corto_Malt Corto_Malt , here is my replacement for the one I gave you Yann. As you can see, it is even more festive! Great pictures of your Black Plum 47 Viper and my former American Flag Tribal Lock. I don’t believe anyone else in all of Europe has those two knives! I am surprised they reached you so quickly. I am glad to have them go to a true knife aficionado such as yourself.

K K33ncutter , wow what a beauty! Absolutely one of the best knives ever, and you got a great example. Congratulations! Send me a message if you ever decide you do not want it.

Last edited:
View attachment 1497648 View attachment 1497647

Who needs a glitter gold TC Barlow?!

Well @r8shell , here is your glitter gold! Or in case lingo, Stardust Kirinite. I know Rachal loves this material, but I am not sure how Tony Bose would react to this on his Tribal Lock! Regardless of how you feel about this cover material, the Tribal Lock is one hell of a knife!

Corto_Malt Corto_Malt , here is my replacement for the one I gave you Yann. As you can see, it is even more festive! Great pictures of your Black Plum 47 Viper and my former American Flag Tribal Lock. I don’t believe anyone else in all of Europe has those two knives! I am surprised they reached you so quickly. I am glad to have them go to a true knife aficionado such as yourself.

K K33ncutter , wow what a beauty! Absolutely one of the best knives ever, and you got a great example. Congratulations! Send me a message if you ever decide you do not want it.

:);) Sparkling!

Very happy to have been able to recover an unexpected GEC #47 given the current economic situation.
And thank you again for the Case STAR SPANGLED which is a very pleasant knife in hand and to the eye.
Have a nice day

I just realized I’ve had my new Cadet in my pocket every day for exactly one month (since Christmas morning.) I’ve always carried just one knife at a time, but now it’s one knife at a time plus the Cadet. I have a feeling it’s going to be a permanent arrangement.
C4IQfdh.jpg

It's a handy combo. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Started carrying a Cadet as an addition last year, I've been keeping one on my key ring since November (or so).

Boker really knocked it out of the park with the Expedition Barlow; it's absolutely stunning. :thumbsup::thumbsup: How does it feel/perform in hand?

I agree - I really like this one.

As for the feel and performance of the one I have - the micarta isn't smooth, nor is it a really rough finish. Just rough enough to be nice and grippy. The matte-finished brass is the same, not smooth not too rough, feels nice in my hand and adds a bit more heft to the knife than most Barlows I've handled so far. Love the brass patina. Balance point when closed is right at the pin closest to the bolsters, when open it's right where the bolsters meet the micarta. The blade was sharp with no burrs and has been nice and slicey and stabby so far. Haven't found a need to touch up the edge, yet. It's 440c, so no modern supersteel. The matte finish is nice IMHO but with use it will scratch and self-polish. I don't use knives as heavily as I did in the past, mostly cutting fruit and opening things, so like all my knives it will take time to develop the use wear.

Fit and finish are really good on mine. No light between spring and liners, nothing proud or sunken, all edges line up and are smooth, pins and shield are flush, no blade play, smooth action and nicely snappy but not a gator snap. Being picky, the blade is slightly off-center when closed and the spring is tight enough it can break/ chip/ split my thumbnail if I'm not careful opening it (which should get a bit better over time with use). Also being picky, when mine arrived the snap into the open position was almost non-existent. Did a quick cleaning, oiled, and did a couple dozen open/ close cycles and the open snap popped into being.

Back