What was the first pocket knife you bought?

This would be interesting to see. My first pocket knife I bought was a Benchmade Griptillian in October, 2017. I got it custom on the site with satin 20cv blade, black g10 handle and screws. I copied my brother but I don't regret it.

My first knife was an equal end jack with carbon steel blades I adopted from our tool drawer with my father's permission. That would have been about 1958. The first one I bought with my own money was a Barlow knife. That would have been about 1964.

Geez, I'm not sure those memory cells are still operational, that was over 50 years ago. The first pocketknife I can remember buying was a Barlow with a sheepsfoot blade.

Pretty sure it was some POS from a home improvement store. I think it came in a multi-pack of equally garbage knives. I had a modest but poor-quality collection when I was 13-15.

More accurately, though, the first knife I bought with my own money was an Ozark Trail knife whose rapid decline in physical integrity was a major contributing factor that lead me to look for better construction and thus more expensive knives. My first dip into quality knives was the ludicrously expensive $30 Cold Steel Counter-Point II, which made 22-year-old me feel like the most tactical of operators.

I use to use a utility knife or the blade on a Leatherman.

One day I'm at the hardware store and there's a sale on Gerber. Hey, I've heard of Gerber, I've got a few extra bucks. Let's buy a knife. It looks good.

So I got home and the knife didn't lock up most of the time and was dull as a butter knife.

So then I made one of the most expensive mistakes of my adult life: I googled "what's a good pocket knife". Fast forward through multiple Chris Reeve's, Shirogorov's and other various midtechs and customs. Oof.

If that Gerber had been worth just one single damn, I could have saved thousands.

That's super cool. I seen a Barlow knife in my local antique store but i never heard of an equal end jack knife. My first knife I got from my parents I was 5. Its a Richartz pocket knife from Germany. I don't know much about it except its small.

m6y0rib.jpg

Buck Spitfire. First one I bought for my own money. First one I took apart too, as you'll see on the backlock.

I think it was one of those old folding Gerber Gators. Good knife. Should have stopped there lol

First pocket knife I bought with my own money was an original Leatherman. Still have it and use it.

First knife I bought was a Buck 119. Still have it and use it.

First knife I owned was given to me by my Grandfather. A Schrade LLBean lock-back. It is in poor shape, as it went through hell in a child’s hands. Had a lot of fun with it though. Still have it. Don’t use it.

I was given a couple junk throw-a-ways before I dabbled into real knives and landed on a Cold Steel medium voyager quickly followed by a Spyderco Delica about a week later at the end of 2015. The Delica has gone with me on every vacation and short outdoors trip since, including but not limited to: Yosemite, Death Valley, Las Vegas, Valley of Fire, Red Rock State park in Nevada, El Dorado mine, Zion National Park, Canyonlands, Arches, The Grand Canyon, The Hoover Dam, middle of no where Kansas, Mount Charleston, Harper's Ferry, Shenandoah, Panama City Beach, Atlanta, and about everywhere inbetween, thankfully only being used for mild EDC tasks and not because I'm in a pickle.

Last edited:
First one I bought for myself was a Buck redpoint. What a hunk of junk. It made me start researching knives and it led to this addic- I mean hobby.

The first several knives I remember owning were shell construction stockmen, probably imperial brand. I don't remember when I got my first one. I do remember having it when I entered the first grade. My older brother remembers getting his first knife. as a birthday present when he turned five. It's likely that mine was also a birthday present when I turned five. The first knife I bought would have been a replacement for one I lost. I remember loosing several of those knives. Then I would have to find a way to come up with the 99¢ a replacement cost. Sometimes I would find the lost knife out in the weeds, and then I would have two in my pocket. I remember once having three in my pocket at the same time.

O.B.

IIRC, the first pocket knife I bought with my own money was a Buck 422 from the Navy Exchange probably around 1988 - 1990 or so.

My first knife was a Victorinox Swiss Champ I was given by my parents when I was very young. It quickly got replaced by the more practical tinker I was given when I first joined Boy Scouts. Now the first "real" modern folding knife I actually carried was a Benchmade mini griptillian.

I think it was a Case folder from Schiedermayer's Hardware on College Avenue in Appleton, Wisconsin, back in the Dark Ages of the 1950s before even color TV. They had a marvelous wooden, glass-front case full of Case knives. It was a definite upgrade from the official Boy Scout knives we used to get from J.C. Penny down the street.

First knife was a Buck 110 back in the mid 60s. I still have the knife and as a matter fact I sent into Buck for a spa. It came back like a new knife and locks up solid as a rock. The blade is smaller due to sharpening however it is in my Spyderco case along with my other knifes. When I started to college in the 60s I purchased a Buck Personal. I also still have the knife and it got a spa along with the 110. I was not able to afford a knife when I was a kid as we were super poor living in northern Missouri. When I was customizing my little rubber car as a kid in the 50s I used my moms paring knife to cut off the finders for the cool look. Unfortunately I severely cut my finger. My mom wrapped my finger and walked me to the hospital 2 blocks away and the Dr. sewed it up. I have forgot a lot of things since then but I did not forget that. They did not use anesthesia and held me down on the table. The scare is still very visible today and I am in my 70s.

Back