1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What was the first pocket knife you bought?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by MRego, Jul 5, 2019.

1. microbe

microbe

Apr 6, 2016
    The first knife I bought with my own money, was a small Laguiole Rossignol with a Rosewood handle. Must have been around 1985. I still have it, but have not used it in years.
    [​IMG]
    The blade has some wear on it, but it's sharpened and ready for cutting.
    [​IMG]

2. mqqn

mqqn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Mid 70s Buck 110.

best

mqqn

3. kwoood

kwoood

Feb 25, 2011
    My first knife was a buck folder given at age 8 and lost fishing a few years later and didn't own a pocket knife again until about 25 and I bought a leatherman C33L 420HC blade and a foldable carabiner/bottle opener. The blade went dull fast and I was using it daily o gave this away to a younger version of me. In 2011 I bought a SOG Flash II. I purchased other knives but daily carried this most of the time over the last 8 years. I now have recently sold all knives except the SOG +1 other. This week I went to a store to buy the dreamed about 940 BM and audibled at the line. I purchased the Protech SBR. Lovely new thing!

4. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    A Uncle Henry trapper at Gibson’s

5. ecallahan

ecallahan Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 14, 2011
    The first I can remember purchasing was a Barlow at a hardware store while on a scout trip, late 70’s. First knife my Dad gave me was a Western sheath knife I believe on my first scouting trip, and I still have it 40 +/- years later.

MolokaiRider likes this.
  6. Lesknife

Lesknife Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 31, 2018
    My first knife was a real cheap dime store Barlow with stamped metal bolsters that my dad got for me at age 7 os so 1966 . It fell apart and cut my finger and that was enough of cheap knives for me so I saved and bought my own knife about a year later which was a Old Timer 34 middle man. It was a good one and had it for a year and a half and lost it out in the field. Then I bought a Uncle Henry stockman about a year later. After that it’s a blurr. Lol

MRego and MolokaiRider like this.
  7. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    First knife I bought was at the BoyScout store. A Camillus 72 with fake stag and BoyScouts shield. 1980.

MRego and MolokaiRider like this.
  8. Stelth

Stelth

Jul 15, 2007
    I have no idea. It had to be a cheap one off of a cardboard display by the cash register in a hardware store.

Cosmodragoon likes this.
  9. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Well other than back in the mid to late '60s a huge multi tool with large spoon and fork, knife blade, scissors etc that came with it's own belt pouch (wouldn't fit in a pocket no way) (still have it) and a gum ball machine tiny Camillus that would fit in one of those clear plastic eggs (still have it) . . .
    probably the first serious knife I ever bought was a Swiss Army Executive in red handle. Thin and very pocketable; small and medium blade, orange peeler, scissors and finger nail file. Very civilized knife.
    My mentor had one so I tried one out and liked it a lot. Lost it.
    Bought one a few years ago in black handle in memory of him.

A few years later in the early '80s I bought a Buck 505 Knight (still have it) and then a Buck 110 (still have it)

MolokaiRider likes this.
  10. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    My first knife was a tiny Imperial slip joint (smaller than a peanut) that I paid $0.25 for when I was about 7 years old. As kids, we bought our own stuff with our own money. Dad did not provide knives, guns, or any of the stuff that kids liked at the time. BB gun? Saved up and bought one myself..... Fishing rod? Same deal.

11. Wowbagger

Sep 20, 2015
    Wow !

12. HallsquadSkates1984

HallsquadSkates1984 Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 17, 2018
    After picking up a few iffy MTechs I started reading. My first real purchase was a Benchmade 940.

Cosmodragoon likes this.
  13. Wowbagger

Sep 20, 2015
    Come to think of it that's probably what I was attempting to describe when I said Camillus.

14. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    The first I payed for myself was a small $4 lockback with faux scrimshaw scales, I may have bought a 1$ keychain knife from a countertop bucket at AutoZone before that but I'm not sure exactly which came first.

15. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    Though I had knives given to me, the first knife I remember buying myself was a Barlow back in the early 60’s, probably 1964. It was either a Case or Tree Brand.

16. 3fifty7

3fifty7 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2016
    First knife given to me by my grandfather when I was 8, a Colonial Coyote.
    First knife I bought on my own was an Imperial single blade lockback when I was 10 on a family vacation in the Ozarks.
    FBFC24E8-8997-4382-8630-0CD7CC0F2899.jpeg

17. archieblue

archieblue Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2001
    I always had a knife as long I can remember. Those most notable would be traditional knives and saks as a really young man to my first Leatherman Tool in 7th grade (in 1990). The knofe that turned me into a single bladed knife was a Crkt KISS that I bought in 1997. That knife brought me to seeing the value in “those expensive Benchmade knives” which in learning what “the best Benchmade knife” might be turned out to be a CRK Sebenza which I purchased in 2000. The rest is history!

18. HikingIsLife

HikingIsLife

Apr 9, 2011
    Back in the day as a kid it was an old Buck 450C Lockback and a bunch of Victorinox knives. Later in life became a Kershaw Leek and then a spiral from there :)

BenchCo Spydermade likes this.
  19. Ironbut

Ironbut Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2016
    The first knife I bought myself was a Barlow, sometime in the mid-fifties. You could get them at any feed store or hardware for about $3. I made $2 a week mowing grass, plus $0.50 a week for my paper route back then, so money was no object.

20. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    First knife was a scout knife given me by my father when I was 9 or 10 (around 1970). First one I bought was a couple of years later. It was a small Italian style stiletto switchblade that was advertised in comic books. I ordered it through the mail. Wish I still had it.