What was the spyderco that got you hooked?

Not necessarily your first one, (though I'm sure it is the first for most) but the one that really got you hooked on spydercos. For me it was the Dragonfly salt. Don't even own it anymore, but that's the one that started it all. What about you guys?

It was my first one - the Endura. It was a perfectly made tool, looked good, came sharp and opened smoothly with the spydie hole in the exact spot and the VG-10 steel was soooo much better that the knives I carried previously - AND it has taken lots of abuse without complaints. What's not to love?

My first Spyderco that I bought and kept.

12874328095_ac589ccc1a_h.jpg

I bought a SE Snap-It in the mid 90's when I got on the fire department it's still around and I added many more since then.

I bought a Delica combo edge several years ago and used it as a work knife using and abusing it. It was chosen at the time because it was light weight and of course all the rave reviews. Well in the end I went back to carrying my Benchmades thinking Spydercos really weren't anything special. The delica just didn't speak to me... As my taste in knives evolved I started figuring out what I did and didn't like. I found I prefered G10 scales with steel liners and don't really care about having a super light weight knife much. Then I started to appreciate premium blade steels and noticed Spyderco offered much more variety than the competition and usually at much better prices. The last straw that pushed me over the Spydi-edge was BMs poor QC as of late. The last 4-5 BMs I purchased had significant flaws IMO. So fast forward to last year; I took the plunge and the answer to the OPs question is the Manix 2 FFG S30V standard black G10 model. I felt this knife was on a whole other level from ANYthing I had purchased previously. SOOO smooth, perfect f&f, excellent steel, and my first FFG blade on a edc type folder. Also the choil the I had previously dislike on largeish fixed blades became a wonderous new discovery for me greatly increasing the utility of a pocket knife. After using the manix I just had to try more, and more, and more...
After years of "collecting" (using) and only 1 year of being hooked on Spydies I am quite certain I have more blades with holes that without.

Delica was going to be the first one I was going to buy, but I ended up getting a PM2 after that. That did it for me.

Military S30V with ComboEdge in late 2005. Deceptively "small" for a big folder. Still have it and use it. Got a reconditioning at Spyderco a few months ago. Good as new again.

My old HG Manix. I was always "Idk if Spyderco does it for me", but then I got it.
I actually ended up giving it to my best friend, and it got him hooked as well!

Which one will get me unhooked?

I've got waaaaaaay too much invested in these Spyderpaks. :rolleyes:

Caly 3. I was trying to find something to replace the Benchmade that I had been carrying - thought it felt kind of clunky and could not get real excited about it. I thought the Caly 3 (ZDP) looked pretty cool so I ordered it. Nice and thin and sharp and very well put together and finished beautifully. That was back in 06 and now, 1 big box full of knives later, I know I made the right choice. I tried to quit - right in the middle of the onslaught of Para sprint runs - I will regret that as long as I chase knives. Anyway, I fell off the wagon and if anything, its worse.

Spyderco p'kal, I absolutely fell in love with this knife. It definitely prompted my collection, and spurred me to take training on how to use it :)

Back