What was the spyderco that got you hooked?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Surfingringo, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Jonny1801

Jonny1801

Jan 15, 2014
    Paramilitary 2 for me:p

2. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Gold Member

Dec 25, 2012
    [​IMG]

I'd owned some Spyderco knives but never really appreciated the company's design aesthetic. The knives always worked well, but I found them funny looking and generally too bulky for my tastes. Then my wife bought me Southard and now I have a pile of Spyderco products.

3. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    A Red Eundura with the G2 steel. I wish I still had that folder.
    rolf

4. Krav

Krav Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 6, 2013
    It 'twas : the delica. Bought it for my father who lives abroad. So I got to play with it for a couple weeks. After giving it to him, I ended up buying several more spydies.

5. Spiggles

Spiggles

Oct 7, 2013
    A Pro Grip FRN in 2001, while operating as a white water rafting guide- great knife, went everywhere with me. Still regret losing it.
    Had a slew of Spyders since then.
    Have to agree with the OP, the Pacific Salt H1 is a hell of a knife, but my edc is a paramilitary 1st gen.

6. Border Shift

Border Shift

Dec 30, 2005
    Stainless Police back in the 1980s.

7. bro5.0

bro5.0

Feb 21, 2012
    I was casually looking at knives from all manufacturers on Amazon when I stumbled across the sprint run red Persian. I thought it was one the most attractive knives I had ever seen, so I bought it and haven't stopped buying them since.

[​IMG]

8. wolf-man-12

wolf-man-12

Dec 24, 2007
    The one that started it all for me was the Native and right behind it was the complete opposite ~ the SS-Police Serr. ~ and to this day I carry a Delica ZDP-189 everyday.!** Spydies come first still and then GEC next and then my Customs ( and now you know why I stay broke all the time.!** )

9. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    An Endura with zdp189 steel. It kicked the the others ( Bucks and SAK s) right out of my pocket. Just gave one to my son in law and may have started a mild addiction problem. My daughter tells mme he loves it. Now the company with its quality, steel choices and value is the one of most interest to me.

10. hiredgun

hiredgun

Mar 23, 2001
    This Walker had me hooked. It was my second or third Spyderco back in the day. It also gave me the worst self inflicted Spyderbite I ever had.

[​IMG]

11. T. Erdelyi

T. Erdelyi

Feb 3, 2001
    Without a doubt the very first one, C01 Worker, I liked it and thought it was innovative it was a good knife... Just ugly, at least that's what everyone thought, personally I liked the way it looked, looked like an alligator.

12. TX180SX

TX180SX Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2011
    mine was the tenacious, I knew from the get go that if this knife was good, then i would get a military. Well.....the tenacious was great, and I got ahold of a M390/CF military and it's been my favorite knife. So good I have a hard time buying another Spyderco, everytime i look at one, i think of how great my military is and how I don't want it out of my pocket. This military has spoiled me, maybe if they released another with CF handles I would buy.

13. nccole

nccole

Jun 2, 2011
    Until the post above me, I thought I was going to be the first Tenacious. Hard to believe almost two full pages until that one popped up. I think I got a Sage 3, Caly 3 CF, and Sage 2 next, and life was good. Then it kept snowballing, and I got into chasing sprints and exclusives and Mules, and it is out of control now.

14. Andre

Andre

May 22, 2000
    Around 1992 i got my first Spyderco, an Endura 1 with plain edge. Absolutely loved that knife. Over the next few years i experimented with several brands, picking up another few Spydies along the way. One day i sat up and took stock, and decided Spyderco is the one for me. Sold off most of my other knives, and have been straight Spyderco for over 12 years now.

Still believe in the "bread and butter" range. I still get very excited about Enduras, Delicas, Dragonflys and Ladybugs. I have also picked up a good couple of sprint run models over the years which are very near and dear to my heart. I sometomes border on obsessive compulsive with my addiction, and i am not done yet.

My name is Andre and i'm a Spyderholic :foot:

15. Andre

Andre

May 22, 2000
    Love the FRN handled models.
    Have a Spyker, Q, R, R2, S, Dodo, Ronin, Persian, Spot, Chinnook 2etc etc etc

Favoutite underrated knives.... Matriarch, Calypso Jr and Rookie. But there has been renewed interest in Matriarch in last 2 years, and the Caly 3 is big. But look at the Calypso Junior, much nicer IMO.

Ones that got away, or should i say never got hold of.... Kopa and World Trade Centre knife.

16. Andre

Andre

May 22, 2000
    Love the FRN handled models.
    Have a Spyker, Q, R, R2, S, Dodo, Ronin, Persian, Spot, Chinnook 2etc etc etc

Favoutite underrated knives.... Matriarch, Calypso Jr and Rookie. But there has been renewed interest in Matriarch in last 2 years, and the Caly 3 is big. But look at the Calypso Junior, much nicer IMO.

Ones that got away, or should i say never got hold of.... Kopa and World Trade Centre knife.

What i really like is the innovation.... first with one handed opening, first with pocket clip, first with serrations, first with custom collaberations. I sometimes think they are spending too much time at top end of market, but then they will come out something new and nice with FRN handles and VG10 or H1 steel :thumbup:

17. Captain Howdy

Captain Howdy Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 28, 2013
    All stainless native from sometime around 97, 98.

18. cairndude

cairndude

Mar 1, 2014
    I own just three Spydercos and one byrd, so I'm not sure if that counts as being 'hooked'. But if it does, then my first--a Delica4 combo edge--was the culprit.

19. T Schloz

T Schloz

Oct 3, 2001
    I would have to say the Military. It's one of the first Spydercos I purchased over a decade ago.

Tom

20. znapschatz

znapschatz

Jan 24, 2005
    My first, a Delica 3 SE with ATS55 blade, but I was already hooked before actually owning one. After handling several Spydercos in a local knife shop, I was sold on the design philosophy. Still am, and I think they look great.