What was the worst most over hyped knife you ever bought?

My Randall Model 14. Not pointy, not sharp, looks like it was polished with a Brillo pad, and there are small gaps along the handle slabs.
Edit: Knife was purchased new from that fat bastard in Florida.

This is SOO disappointing. I remember as a child seeing their knives for sale in the back of magazines and stuff and always wanting one, I drooled over them for years. :(

I have to cast another vote for the BM 940. The one that was sent to me deserved an Academy Award for excellence in off-centered blades. This was a model that I’ve seen called “iconic” from an aggressively over-hyped manufacturer and it cost me >$180. I was still shaking my head in disbelief as I packed it up to ship back to the vendor.

I am surprised to hear about the BM 940, I have owned 6 or 7 over the years and own 2 now and all were perfect. Possibly defective ones? I also call the place I order from and ask if the one I am ordering is centered and a good one. So far that has held true.

It's been my personal experience that Benchmade does ship knives with uneven grinds and off centre blades. However, while I've experienced these issues with a few of my Benchmades (including the centering on my aluminum handled 940 and the grind on my 781 Anthem), they haven't been so egregiously bad that I considered sending them back. I managed to better the centering on my 940 and my 781 is a user, so I didn't let the grind bother me that much.

Generally speaking I've had good luck with the Benchmade's I've bought and they make up the majority of my collection. Whether they were bought new or through a purchase on the secondary market, most of them have been stellar in my opinion; maybe I'm just not super picky about these things? However, I'll readily acknowledge that if you've recevied a brand new Benchmade that you weren't happy with @Stumpy72 and either had to immediately send it in for warranty work or back to the vendor after opening it up, from the amount of similar posts on just this forum, you wouldn't be alone in doing so.

The worst knife experience I have ever had was with MOD, Masters of Defense. A Duane Dieter CQC to be exact. The plunge lock wouldn't engage all the way, causing unacceptable up/down blade play, so I sent it back in. Instead of replacing the plunge mechanism itself, I saw they had taken a grinder of some sort, to chamfer one end of the pin, so it would seat all the way in. It was a black coated knife with black hardware, so the grinding exposed raw, shiny, silver metal on the plunge pin, which was abhorrently ugly. The kicker is, it still didn't eliminate the horrible up/down play. I contacted them again and their response was in tune with pounding sand. I took it as a $200 loss and lived some and learned some.

Small Sebenza in S30V. Wouldn't hold an edge, ended up giving it away out of frustration.

Blah blah blah insert whatever knife/company you hate/want:rolleyes:
Blah blah blah this question again;)
Just to satiate and answer the OP my $5 plastic POS from the grocery store cause its not sharp and too soft. It is great at digging eyes out of taters though.
Have fun:thumbsup:

This is SOO disappointing. I remember as a child seeing their knives for sale in the back of magazines and stuff and always wanting one, I drooled over them for years. :(

Am I being unfair to suggest ordering a 'model 14' inspired knife from a good/well known custom maker from BF? I expect it should cost about the same as a 'Randall' but you could easily get really high end steel which is impossible currently for the original...

personally, I don't have anything against 440b (for a heavy use chopper type stainless)... but there are so many upgraded steels these days

a model 14 inspired blade in 3v sounds just about perfect to me =-D

I am surprised to hear about the BM 940, I have owned 6 or 7 over the years and own 2 now and all were perfect. Possibly defective ones? I also call the place I order from and ask if the one I am ordering is centered and a good one. So far that has held true.

For me one of the biggest disappointments was the older XM-18, my example again had a soft detent and sticky lockup. Blade also was not centered. For what they went for at the time and how long I waited to get my hands on my order (ordered it from Rick directly when he still took orders) it should have been perfect. I think he was so inundated with orders alot slipped past him at the time. I sold it for more than I paid even with the defects so I cant be too mad.

A pivot that has no sweet spot and you can only decide between too tight or a little bladeplay is a common issue for 940s.

I have two disappointments.
The first is a custom knife. The knife wasn't what I asked for and took 3 years to make. Nice knife, but not what I asked for.
The second is a Sebenza. I think it's a nice knife, but not worth all the hype. This would be a good knife at a price range of $150.

Anyways I think it is time I asked a mod to shut this one down.

Why shut it down? There are many thousands of members who probably didn't have a chance yet to share their experiences on over hyped knives. I think it's a good thread and so far no one has become rude.

I think we also all realize that one person's bad experience is not necessarily the rule for the company.

Why shut it down? There are many thousands of members who probably didn't have a chance yet to share their experiences on over hyped knives. I think it's a good thread and so far no one has become rude.

I think we also all realize that one person's bad experience is not necessarily the rule for the company.

I agree, I didnt realize there were this many issues with the 940. I personally have also had a softer Sebenza blade than I would have liked. I went from a BG-42 blade that was scary sharp and held a great edge to an S30V version in a small leather that was softer than I ever expected considering the S30V in my spyderco's was great. My recent S35V's have been good but still softer than other companies run it. The one knife didnt ruin my love for the Sebenza but it put me off of S30V until I got a Lone Wolf Harsey at the time that was shwifty. Now I own a crap ton of S30V and 35V blades.

Anyway dont close a thread because of one or two people. If it turns into a pissing match....well then.

Spartan Kranos. If you paid $200 for that knife you have overpaid. Para 2. Tried many times to like it and see if it grew on me, but always ended up selling them.

ETA Spartan Kranos to the list

I was wondering if I was going crazy. So its not just me that thinks Spartan’s folders aren’t quite there yet. When I got my Large 21 I was considering a Harsey. The one my local store had, had frighteningly early lockup. Like less than 5%. With the steel lockbar insert I was like “I will have to carry this unsafe knife for so long before the lock settles in.” So I got the Large 21 instead.

The Metis model I saw another time had a Hinderer Overtravel Stop that was loose and rattling. So I asked the store owner, “hey pass me a t6 this has a loose overtravel stop.” I tighten down the stop and the rattling is no more. I flip the knife open and now the overtravel stop is pressing on the lockbar pushing the detent into the side of the tang making the knife stop after opening about 25% of the way.

Turns out the knife, in order to have a good action the overtravel stop needs to rattle.

Back