What was your first GEC

My first GEC was a 47 in Snakeskin that was gifted to me by @J_Curd a number of BladeShows ago. I still have it, carry it and use it but try to keep it nicer looking since it has sentimental value to me. He is also responsible for getting me into traditionals as much as I am.

EDIT: pics to make this thread even cooler!
50wAHvq.jpg

Last edited:
My first GEC was the #23 in Bocote. 1mm proud liners... me no likey. I've bought others and still have my #23. I have a #25 with a spear point, most useless blade shape that I have. Not a fan of GEC.
The 2013 BF knife @ $139 stunk too. The pivot popped loose while I was just playing removing thin bark off a walking stick. Oh well. Enjoy the hype.
I haven’t had any quality issues with my GEC’s unlike others such as case unfortunately. My early GEC’s I didn’t baby at all and certainly are well used without any functional wear and tear. It’s too bad you had bad experiences with them.

First was a 62 Pocket Carver, second was the same, then a 62 Farm&Field, then 19 Little Rattler. I like straight edge knives. on order is a pair of 38 English Whittlers. Somehow I missed out on the 47 Viper.
I just purchased 2 F&F pocket carvers as firsts for my brother and brother-in-law as well as custom slips to fit them. Both are getting married next month and I thought the pocket carvers would be something they each will enjoy. This will be my first time having a 62 pattern in hand, so I’m pretty excited to see them and I’m sure the guys will be too!

Mine is a two blade 23 Trapper, with the woodland micarta.

I feel a little stupid for how I got it, so i’ll share. I decided I wanted a specific GEC, the 62 with the banana shield. I was bidding on for one on EBay, but was outbid $20 by another bidder who had set their price. Somewhat perturbed, I decided I needed to practice my bidding skills so I picked one (the 23) that was about to end and figured out how to set a price, thinking I would be outbid again, but that time I was a winner!

It's ok to not like a brand, I get it. But not sure why you would even post here other than just wanting to take a jab at everyone by saying "Enjoy the hype"o_O
Oh well, it was my first GEC and i didn't like it. Yes, they are/were hyped. Sorry. NOT.

Mine is a two blade 23 Trapper, with the woodland micarta.

I feel a little stupid for how I got it, so i’ll share. I decided I wanted a specific GEC, the 62 with the banana shield. I was bidding on for one on EBay, but was outbid $20 by another bidder who had set their price. Somewhat perturbed, I decided I needed to practice my bidding skills so I picked one (the 23) that was about to end and figured out how to set a price, thinking I would be outbid again, but that time I was a winner!
Maybe it was fate that brought you to that 23?

I just purchased 2 F&F pocket carvers as firsts for my brother and brother-in-law as well as custom slips to fit them. Both are getting married next month and I thought the pocket carvers would be something they each will enjoy. This will be my first time having a 62 pattern in hand, so I’m pretty excited to see them and I’m sure the guys will be too!
That’s awesome!

My first GEC was a 47 in Snakeskin that was gifted to me by @J_Curd a number of BladeShows ago. I still have it, carry it and use it but try to keep it nicer looking since it has sentimental value to me. He is also responsible for getting me into traditionals as much as I am.

EDIT: pics to make this thread even cooler!
50wAHvq.jpg
He’s your enabler haha. My best friend is mine with him bringing to work his beer scout. That’s what led me to GP Knives to buy my first although the beer scouts were sold out and I had to wait for the next run.

I got into GEC only last year. I kept hearing and seeing them, but was still stuck on modern locking folders. I used to collect Case knives when I was younger and wondered how the price difference could be so much higher. I went online and found a 62 easy pocket in red bone for about $100 and figured why not. I was blown away. These were a whole new animal and they were teetering on the edge of art (if not already across that line). Well, 8 GEC’s later I’m hooked, and still impressed when I manage to reel one in.

I got into GEC only last year. I kept hearing and seeing them, but was still stuck on modern locking folders. I used to collect Case knives when I was younger and wondered how the price difference could be so much higher. I went online and found a 62 easy pocket in red bone for about $100 and figured why not. I was blown away. These were a whole new animal and they were teetering on the edge of art (if not already across that line). Well, 8 GEC’s later I’m hooked, and still impressed when I manage to reel one in.
Welcome to the Blade Forum "Porch". I have a red easy pocket congress and I know exactly how you feel. "...teetering on the edge of art (if not already across that line)" is a wonderful and accurate description of the 62s.
And functional art is the best kind of art. :cool: Pull up a chair Sherbert and make yourself at home. :)

Back