What was your first GEC

Kevin, you need a vintage GEC, like this first year #73 in Sheffield Tobacco jigged bone and 440C. ;)

va4miok.jpg

31cKQBb.jpg

black mamba black mamba That was mine Jeff!:cool: Still remember opening the package in a café and being astounded by the look and feel of the knife, that was 07 I suppose. and the 73 being in a cardboard tube with a label on it, novel!:D

However, never did fancy Jack knives with 2 large blades from the same end so I got it deleted .

Too bad stainless is but a distant memory....(although about to be revived I think?)

CVkN15C.jpg

black mamba black mamba That was mine Jeff!:cool: Still remember opening the package in a café and being astounded by the look and feel of the knife, that was 07 I suppose. and the 73 being in a cardboard tube with a label on it, novel!:D

However, never did fancy Jack knives with 2 large blades from the same end so I got it deleted .

Too bad stainless is but
I think it may just be this run of 89s. I kind of wonder what GEC is doing. I know they said no special orders but what happed with the H20? I saw a couple of production pics, but haven’t seen any hit the market.

82 dixie stockman in rattlesnake jigged bone. I still carry it frequently and it launched my modest collection of GECs. I have since gotten a stag version and am keeping my eye out for any others I might be able to pick up. This knife is certainly one of my favorites and I talk it up any chance I get!

h2J8RC3.jpg

My first GEC was this #65 Ben Hogan in maroon linen micarta. At the time I thought I needed a knife with a longer handle because 3-1/2” to 3-3/4” surely couldn’t be enough? Turns out I never really carried it since it always seemed a bit awkward in the pocket. It was quickly followed up with the pine green #77 which really set me on the path for more slip joints. Of course, this was back in the salad days when you could mull over a purchase for a few weeks.
jiBEOkA.jpg

2016 15 Navy Knife in Oak Barrell Cheatnut that I bought “Off the shelf."

View attachment 1543938
That is my dad’s first GEC too. He’s not a big knife guy but retired navy. I was on leave one week and went back home. Some of my sports memorabilia was still at my parents so I went and sold some of it off and went to GP Knives and bought him that same navy knife. They even let me pick which button I wanted to go along with it.

I received a bunch of likes from post #7. If you want to read a side story that will warm your heart on multiple levels and is relevant to that knife in post #7, let's go back in time to this thread:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/a-touching-act-of-generosity-from-a-fine-young-man.1682820/

Most of you know, I've been taking a break for about a year. I just this morning found out about Ron @Half/Stop, so I'm a bit upset and the Thread above is relevant to the type of person he was as well.

My first GEC was the #23 in Bocote. 1mm proud liners... me no likey. I've bought others and still have my #23. I have a #25 with a spear point, most useless blade shape that I have. Not a fan of GEC.
The 2013 BF knife @ $139 stunk too. The pivot popped loose while I was just playing removing thin bark off a walking stick. Oh well. Enjoy the hype.

My first GEC was the #23 in Bocote. 1mm proud liners... me no likey. I've bought others and still have my #23. I have a #25 with a spear point, most useless blade shape that I have. Not a fan of GEC.
The 2013 BF knife @ $139 stunk too. The pivot popped loose while I was just playing removing thin bark off a walking stick. Oh well. Enjoy the hype.
It's ok to not like a brand, I get it. But not sure why you would even post here other than just wanting to take a jab at everyone by saying "Enjoy the hype"o_O

Back