1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

what was your first knife?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by buckgen5, Oct 8, 2010.

1. buckgen5

buckgen5

Sep 28, 2010
    my first knife was an imperial schrade that my dad gave me when i was a kid. i had that knife with me at all times. when i woke up in the morning after putting on my clothes it was always the first thing i grabbed and put in my pocket. if i ever forgot it i felt like i was naked. i took that thing to shooting ranges, dug the tops out of bullets with it, whittled with it, it was always with me when i went camping(especially), when i went hunting(especially), then the scales fell off and still it didn't matter i had that thing for years until one day i got a new one and i gave it to a girl i was sweet on and she loved it too. the only thing i have aside from the memory is a scar on my thumb from when i was whittling with it while hunting with my dad for 2 weeks in the woods and i learned one of my first lessons with a knife about not cutting towards myself and it stabbed me in the thumb and skidded around the bone. i then gave the knife back to my dad and told him never to let me have a knife again. it only took about a week before i wanted it back and to this day i have owned over 400 knives and i always give people i really like a knife as a gift. i also have many more scars but, none that i regret.

2. dullblades

dullblades

Mar 21, 2010
    my first new knife was in early 70's, it was the black handled lockback with stainless blade from sears. i still have it, and have since bought the white handled version with carbon blade.

3. Legoman0721

Legoman0721

Apr 29, 2010
    Gerber Paraframe. Not the greatest start, but it was mine and it worked.

4. brets-ftw

brets-ftw

Sep 11, 2010
    mine was a Camillus Cub Scout knife still have it but ive put it with my historical and memorable knives collection instead of my edc rotation

5. bld522

bld522

Feb 3, 2004
    Buck 110. My grandfather bought it for me in the early 60's. I still have it.

6. freedoom

freedoom

Jan 31, 2010
    a SAK. my first single bade pocket knife was a spydercard.

7. canook

canook

Jul 12, 2009
    My very first knife was a low quality jack knife with the plastic scales broke off that I found by the creek when I was 8 or so. But my first real knife was a Victorinox Climber that my stepdad gave me when I was 11.

8. flashlife

flashlife

Feb 16, 2007
    Ka-Bar 3 bladed stockman...around 1954, at age 8 or 9. Wish I still had it.

I do have my late father's Uncle Henry stockman. He carved many a peach-seed animal with it (monkies, armadillos, razor-back hogs, etc).
    It'll go to my son when I'm gone.

9. proguide

proguide

Mar 26, 2004
    A buck 110

10. FuSchniken

FuSchniken

Oct 6, 2009
    Yellow handled Case Trapper. It was my grandfathers and is still usable. Gifted it to my uncle last Christmas. He teared up a little.

11. dhennyboy

dhennyboy

Oct 8, 2010
    anyone know about kukri jaguar marking usa ?

12. glockman99

glockman99 Super Moderator Super Mod

Jun 12, 2000
    My first knife was a Case Camper (Cub Scout knife) that my grandfather gave to me when I was about 9 years old.

13. KJlost

KJlost

Aug 8, 2010
    A SAK, Victorinox Mechanic that I still have and use regularly.

14. Dorito Monk

Dorito Monk

Nov 17, 2008
    Victorinox SAK. I believe it was the 'Bantam' model...it was hunter green with nothing but a blade and a bottle opener. Carried it all over algonquin park, used the hell out of it at my first real job, used it to help with renovations and landscaping around the house, pretty much every knife task was taken care of by this thing.

Then it dropped out of my pocket while walking home from work one day. By the time I realized it was gone, it was gone forever. I went back to look for it, but never found it. Turns out Hunter Green blends in really well with grass. :(

15. Hoodcanal5

Hoodcanal5

Sep 6, 2010
    I bought a gerber profile when I was 9. Great knife, I recently bought another one.

16. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    An old equal end jack that I adopted out of the tool drawer when I was somewhere between 6 & 8 in the late 1950's. Carbon steel blades. The scales were jigged black something or other. I carried it for years until my father gave me a new knife for my 12th birthday.

17. Bassist_in_black_17

Bassist_in_black_17

Mar 18, 2007
    Victorinox SAK that my parents gave me for my 10th birthday. It's still one of my favorite knives.

18. Beltfed45

Beltfed45

May 26, 2008
    A Vic SAK. I got it for my 11th birthday and I still have it.:thumbup:

19. hiwa

hiwa

Jun 7, 2009
    First real knife was a Solingen , bone handled hunter with Leather sheath received from a friend of my Dad's in Xmas of '72. ( I was 10) Still got it. Shelved it many years ago for old time's sake.

20. JAB

JAB

Dec 13, 2005
    Cub Scout knife in the late '70s. Don't know the brand but I remember it being purchased at Sears.