what was your first knife?

First knife was one of those Boy Scout folders. Had the spoon and fork and stuff. My dad got it for me when I first joined the scouts. Late 1960's.
I thought it was so cool. Went everywhere with me. (LOL) Lost it over the years though. Too bad.

A Kershaw Chive I bought myself with one of my first paychecks at one of my first jobs. EDC'd that thing for a few years till the spring broke. Replaced it and then put it away. I will never get rid of that knife (even if it kinda rubs the liner on one side now), even has my nickname Bobus X engraved on it.

Offical BSA Boy Scout Knife.

I can actually remember a time before the nanny-state became all powerful, where we would actually be allowed to wear our Scout uniforms to school, with the knife on a belt hanger, on days when the Troop had meetings.

Last edited:
Tiny swiss army knife at age 5..(bad freakin idea)

gave me my first scar too :) I swore off knives for about a month

my first one was a SAK at age 13, than alot of no name's untill i got my spyderco pro-venator

My first knife was an early version of the Buck Companion. I was about 10 years old (circa 1979), and my Dad got it for me:

buck-309-bks.jpg

My second knife was another Buck Companion, which I bouoght for myself (gotta have two!!), and that's how it all started.

To this day, I still buy at least two of each knife model I add to my collection.

i have 2 301s. my wife bought an old model for me at a pawn shop on our honeymoon for 10 bucks that had an electrical ding in the main blade(i worked it out) and the other is a brand new one that she got for me for my first fathers day gift. a good knife makes a good gift.

my dad works for union pacific railroad and they had some kind of safety suggestion contest and the winner(my dad) received an sak with "union pacific railroad" on one side and the victorinox shield on the other and he gave it to me when i was 12. it's the oldest in my collection (at least oldest in that i've had it the longest out of all my knives).

Last edited:
Mine was an Imperial Schrade Kamp King that I purchased as a tenderfoot Boy Scout back in the Pleistocene era. It was a constant and reliable companion for the next 15 years, during which time it never occurred to me to replace it with anything else. One day, in a fit of I don't know what, I gave it to a girl friend, replaced it with a SAK, which I discovered was far superior, and didn't look back. Years (decades :eek:) later I had a chance meeting with GF. During the catch-up, I asked what happened to the KK. She said that within days after I gave it to her, she lost it.

Some random no name knife i got through cub scouts when I was eight, soon after I got a victorinox cub scout knife for my birthday. Still have both of them.

I was 10 and in 5th grade; a Vic SAK Explorer in 1985 (I think?). It was truly one of the first possesions I've had. Have it with me as I type (used the tweezers to pull out an unnoticed splinter :p).

I remember that my dad bought me a tiny little pen knife that was in the swiss-army fashion when I was about 7. I doubt that it was a Vic though. Could have been with how sharp it was, first time I also cut myself with a knife. No real story behind it, I went, "Hmm, how sharp is this," and ran my finger down the blade like I'd seen on TV to see. Good way to learn.

I had quite a few cheap little pocket knives over the years, but I remember the first real nice knife I got was when I was 10 my step-father by marriage on my father's side gave me his Uncle Henry stockman. Still have that one in fact, though the blades have pretty much changed shape over the years. He also have me a couple of Old Timers, but I've lost track of one of them over the years, all I have left is the peanut--with a clip blade that was used so much by him that it's got a great big recurve in it. Still hang on to it though.

Then when I was about 11 or 12 I got my first fixed blade knife, a Buck 119. Still have that one, tough the sheath is all cut up where I used it to test how sharp my edge was when I was first learning how to sharpen, but the edge never got too beat up. Just wound up putting a real nice edge on it with an angle guide about a year ago, but it hasn't seen much use yet.

I also got a USMC KaBar when I was about 13 or 14, but I wound up selling that to buy books for college. Never did like the feel of the handle in my hand, but I still kind of miss it since I had it for so long.

Two blade Barlow, cream colored handle. Hadn't thought about that knife in a very long time … thanks.

honestly I don't remember probably some crapy slipjoint ,,,,but I still have my first balisong :)

I had some crappy slipjoints that I never carried before, but I got my first good knife when I was 7. Me and my mom stumbled across someone on the town square with a little stand selling hunting gear and knives. I looked at the Marttiini Martef Skinner on the table and fell in love with it. It was just 15 marks (Finnish currency at the time) so mom bought it for me. I carried it and used it, and it has stood up to a lot of abuse. I've pried with it, chopped with it, chiseled with it and Jesus, even thrown it, and the only damage it has is a tiny chip on the blade and wear on the Martef coating. I still have the knife and carry it almost every day. I looked it up on the Internet a few days ago, turns out it won a popular hunting magazine's knife review on December of 1992, and it would cost 50 euros in stores nowadays. Hell of a deal.
IMG_2847.JPG

one thing i've come to find over the years is that if you want the blade to last on a knife instead of it being sharpened down to a sliver of a blade is not to use coarse stone unless absolutely necessary(like when you chop down a small tree and accidentally hit rocks with it and ding it up), otherwise i always use either a 1000 or 2000 grit stone to sharpen my knives because they remove almost no steel at all in comparison the the coarser grit knives. that way when i pass on my knives to my kids they will last them a lifetime and hopefully so on. i also have an old 119 that i've had for years that is one tough knife i have used it for throwing and doing tricks and such it probably has to be one of the ones i've had the longest. good memories is what it's all about.

Tiny swiss army knife at age 5..(bad freakin idea)

gave me my first scar too :) I swore off knives for about a month

First knife was a Kamp King (Imperial?), late 60's, first day I cut myself on my left thumb trying to whittle on a piece of 2x4. Still have the scar over 40 years later.

Sitting in my drawer, two BSA scout knives from the 80s.

These are tough knives, I beat the heck out of them in my youth.

BSA.jpg

my first knife was a victorinox SAK classic. my dad always has one in his pocket and as a kid it was always a treat to use it for some small chore. he gave me one of my own when i was maybe seven years old. perhaps this early conditioning is responsible for my lifelong obsession with sharp objects...

the first fixed blade i bought for myself was a cold steel recon tanto, in high school. at the time i was big into japanese martial arts. we trained with swords, knives, sticks, and chains. i saw one of the black belts in the locker room with this knife and i just had to have one. to this day i still enjoy the feel of this knife in my hand.

i love knives:D

Back