What watch do you wear?

FD659601-0FB9-4D9C-B059-D7529B8B615C-7489-000003440581A38F_zps30f45a9a.jpg

Just got this. Incredibly satisfying for the money.

orig.jpg

Had lots of learning in the shoot. Watch photography is a specialized as, say, knife photography.

Coop

Still rocking the Citizen BM7080-03E model for the past 2+ years.

Lightweight, titanium case, accuracy of Citizen's generally misunderstood Eco-Drive technology.

Ive been wearing every day since 1998 a Titanium citizen eco drive dive watch , water proof to 200 meters and dont have to worry about the saltwater rusting it paid like 348.00 back then .the citizen is a very nice time piece

SharpBYCoop I really like the looks of that Parnis. I want to try one before it's all said and down, but don't know who to buy from, but will read up on it. Is it hand winding ? I'm a watch noob, so forgive me....

My G-Shock G–254RL–5AVDR. Catchy name!

attachment.php

2005 model and I don't think they sold many. Might have been Japan only.

attachment.php

I like it, but I can't help thinking how much nicer it would be with an all-steel case, screw-down case back, and standard lugs in a standard size. I guess I'm not a real G-Shock guy.

Sorry about the lint on my camera lens.

G-Shock1.jpgG-Shock2.jpg

Just got this today... 1988

IMAG0156_zps7df2ef02.jpg

Seiko SNKH69J1

attachment.php

Seiko is updating the old (small) Seiko 5 watches, and this is their update of SNK805K2. "J" has "MADE IN JAPAN" printed on the dial in flyspeck between 30 and 35. "K" is made in Malaysia and that is what you usually find here. There is no difference in quality that I can see.

The updated models have 20 mm lugs instead of 18 mm and 5 Atmospheres water resistance instead of 3: welcome changes but not earthshaking. Case diameter is 38 mm and I think that is a millimeter or two larger. There are very minor changes in the dial. If that interests you, discussion and comparison shots are here:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/difference-between-seiko-military-snk809-snkh63-350107.html

Some people are upset because the triangle points down and not up and the hands are a little fatter at the base. I have nothing against obsession per se, but when you find yourself obsessing over triangles pointing north or south, IMO it is time to get more concerned about global warming and Apophis the asteroid (not the Goa'uld System Lord).

attachment.php

The updated crown is a little different. On an old Seiko 5 with the stem at 4 o'clock, the crown is tiny and flat and you need nails to pull it out. The updated crown is countersunk into the case, and it has an access notch in back. The first time I had to use an SAK nail file to move it, but that broke the ice and now I use my fingernails.

attachment.php

Historical note: people call these watches "Fliegers" (which they are not) and "Flieger homages" (which they are). Flieger is the German word for airman, but applied to watches it is a euphemism for Luftwaffe. Seiko's dial and hands were "inspired" by the WWII Luftwaffe's Beobachtungsuhr (or B-Uhr) Baumuster B, in service from January 1941 until Kriegsende. Beobachtungsuhr means "observer's watch" and it was issued to air crewmen and flight officers who did not navigate. Navigators and pilots got chronograph watches which were much less distinctive.

Here is an He-111 crewman (probably the radio operator/dorsal gunner) wearing a B-Uhr. It was a huge honking watch, much larger than Seiko's "Fliegers." It had a jumbo onion-shaped crown for winding with gloved hands, and an extra-long leather strap to go over a leather flight suit. Of course the lume was radium. Yeah!

B-Uhr+-+1.jpg

Many good photographs of B-Uhren here, Baumuster A and B and some modern reproductions.

http://eibnek110.blogspot.com/2012/08/b-uhr-beobachtungsuhr.html#!/2012/08/b-uhr-beobachtungsuhr.html

Seiko5_1.jpgSeiko5_3.jpgSeiko5_2.jpg

Last edited:
SharpBYCoop I really like the looks of that Parnis. I want to try one before it's all said and down, but don't know who to buy from, but will read up on it. Is it hand winding ? I'm a watch noob, so forgive me....
I've been wearing it consistently. Enjoying it. I got mine on eBay and would get another in a heartbeat. Seller took less than a week from Hong Kong. Low cost, high satisfaction. For me.

Yes, it's hand winding. The difference with a hand wound mechanical and an 'automatic' is the autos have that rotating pendulum which does the winding work, yet constricts the view.

Coop

Back