What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

I made this one today. I posted it in the General section also. I'm new to knife making, it's a retirement hobby. I'm finding out that body position and using different angles on the platen and using the grinding wheel attachment make things go smoother. Anyway here is the 61/2 inch overall 3" blade with ebony scales. 1095 heat treated and tempered.
Y43VJWu.jpg

Oh Look it's already Christmas wrapped....Looking good love the fluting!!:thumbsup:

Finished this one up right before moving my shop. Crappy photo.. Had a little more sanding and etch my mark yet after this photo was taken. I love this wood. Ringed gidgee and 1084.

Attachments

• IMG_0133.JPG
    IMG_0133.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 43
Erin Burke Erin Burke that's looking good, how did you end up doing your fluting?

I was going to post that info in my fluting thread once I finish the knife. But, since you asked... it looked something like this.

I tried a few different ball burrs on a test piece. Ended up liking the single-cut the best. It's not the easiest burr to control, but the finish is best. The fat shoulder on the double cut made it useless for my purpose, and the diamond cut left an ugly finish.
34843002250_e978b4bded_z.jpg
35189896826_a19a287c00_z.jpg

I originally thought about running the burrs in my mill, but it just doesn't have the RPM to pull it off. I ended up building an aluminum table addition for the Dremel router jig. The jig is not as solid as I'd prefer, but seems to work OK.

Also, I found that I had to be VERY careful when cutting in the leading edge of a groove near a corner. The burrs like to catch on corners. :eek:

Erin

Last edited:
Finished my first folder. This was made as a gift for one of my employees. The handle parts all come from a kit from knifekits.com, and I forged a new blade for it from 1080. Used the kit's blade as a template and file guide for getting the holes and bump stops lined up, but the blade profile is completely different than the kit's blade. This is my attempt at doing something Persian fighter inspired. 400 grit hand sanded satin finish on the blade because that's the point where it looked to match up the best to the frame's finish.
4QD84vb.jpg

QB5U3Q8.jpg

Finished the first batch of paring knives I will be giving to friends and family. Two from the first batch anyway. I will be keeping one (not shown) to replace the Emeril paring knife that shattered into three pieces when I dropped it on the ground.

Back