What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

I like how methodical you're being with the shaping of that. I'm horrible at sculpting handles. I don't plan it out very well and end up backing myself into a corner I can't get out of.

That knife I made for last years kith you helped me get the shape designed, that is how did it. I drew out paper templates and transferred it the the knife. I think drawing and transferring it has helped a lot in getting a good shape. Or at least I'm happy with it. So :thumbsup::thumbsup: thanks for that assist. That is how I've done the last 4 since then, and it's worked good for me. I'm not getting as nervous putting the wood to the grinder and messing something up as I was.

Did some modding on my grinder...

And I am kind of enamored with friction folders. I have three of these ( my first three)

IMG_20170715_224538_609.jpg

As well as this one on my bench at the moment.

Attachments

• IMG_20170718_203429543.jpg
    IMG_20170718_203429543.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I like how methodical you're being with the shaping of that. I'm horrible at sculpting handles. I don't plan it out very well and end up backing myself into a corner I can't get out of.

Same! I love working the steel but the handle is a real dread..

OlR0xgw.jpg

wJSdaIT.jpg

Working on two small fixed blade knives like in my avatar.
Jigsawing stainless steel, but yes it can be done. The sawblade teeth wear out app. every 3/8".

IMG_20170722_213330.jpg

IMG_20170722_213823.jpg

I spent the weekend with @J. Doyle and under his tutelage, this is what we came up with. It was a lot of long hard hours with barely a moment spared on idle chit chat, but, worth the sacrifice I think.:D Still needs some finishing touches, namely deciding whether to keep this as a take down and making a nice looking nut or making a plug and gluing it up. But I couldn't wait to share it because I'm immensely proud of how it's turned out. Thank you John. My meager ability with the camera doesn't do it justice.

0HXKHqC.jpg

PIENhAr.jpg

6fqA9CZ.jpg

I spent the weekend with @J. Doyle and under his tutelage, this is what we came up with. It was a lot of long hard hours with barely a moment spared on idle chit chat, but, worth the sacrifice I think.:D Still needs some finishing touches, namely deciding whether to keep this as a take down and making a nice looking nut or making a plug and gluing it up. But I couldn't wait to share it because I'm immensely proud of how it's turned out. Thank you John. My meager ability with the camera doesn't do it justice.

0HXKHqC.jpg

PIENhAr.jpg

6fqA9CZ.jpg
Very beautiful. I don't think I could let that one go. Sometimes you have treated yourself.

Yeah, this one is staying with me. I'm justifying it because people often ask me if I have a knife to show them, and I've only kept my mistakes, which I'm not crazy about showing off. This one I won't mind :cool:

Getting some sanding done on the handle

Adam you work has been super clean with your "sneak" series, though not sure this one is in that family. Either way keep up the good work man.

I had to chuckle at this. your work has been steadily improving since you've joined up here but when I saw this I thought it was JDoyles work. I am impressed brother, I'm sure you learned a lot work with John. Looking forward to what you have in store.

-Clint

Kuraki, I think the knife is very beautiful and especially like the blade shape and the grooves. I would make the handle permanent and make a flush plug but that is purely my opinion as I do not see the reason for take down knives. I don't want my knives to come apart. Excellent work on your part. Larry
0HXKHqC.jpg

PIENhAr.jpg

6fqA9CZ.jpg

Thanks Larry. If I left it take down it would be purely for the novelty.

0HXKHqC.jpg

PIENhAr.jpg

6fqA9CZ.jpg

What a fantastic piece of work. :thumbsup:
John is an excellent maker, and obviously a very talented teacher as well.
Erin

You definitely have something super to show now when they ask! Very nice indeed.

Another project underway. This piece of steel was sitting fullered and partially profiled for more than a year... up until about a week ago. Now it sits with the bevels and clip rough-ground, the tang roughed in, and HT completed. I even soaked it in vinegar for awhile to remove the scale. I hope to hit this in earnest over the weekend, but we'll see.

36008366586_d190c2d909_c.jpg
35999300211_52e3c3fdf4_c.jpg
35962842372_0109342656_c.jpg

Erin

Back