What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

That thing is going to be a real pain to split kindling out of.:D

What kind of wood did it give you?..... no uh... what kind of wood do you have... uh.. in your truck. Umm what kind of tree was it that you got wood from:confused:

If I didn't know better I might think you were looking at my wood. :eek:

This is a red oak unfortunately. I say unfortunately because in my experience no matter how compelling the figure and contrast there will be no chatoyance to speak of. It always looks "dead" to me.

I never realised that if you have a dove tail bolster and you contour the handle, that it gives a nice curved line.
Goes well with the front of the bolster I think :)
G10 and sheep horn:

IMG_20180128_211339.jpg

IMG_20180128_211412.jpg

IMG_20180127_134813.jpg

Working on a batch of knives. Last of the steel I have on hand. Trying to get rid of the rest of this 1084. Liking O1 a lot better and ready to try some other steels.

One on the left is 1075 and will hopefully have a hamon. First try at it. Been sitting on this one for about a year now from Kuraki.
image.jpg

Last edited:
More stuff I worked on this weekend

r8TSJoe.jpg

qrPBmw1.jpg

CPM 3V at 62c with some black linen micarta and stainless guard. The face of the guard has a hammered finish

Ixmgr5p.jpg

Very cool Adam, I really like your grinds and the plunge on the blade.

Curious about how you did your partially exposed tang there. How did you route out the groove? Also what is the story or rationale behind the shape? I know you can make a fine knife but that handle has some "squareness" to it, so I figure there is a story behind it.

-Clint

F3AB118E-1D6B-47BC-B2E9-D65BA2CA4369.jpeg I picked up an interesting tool. It is a mini keyless chuck that fits into a larger keyless chuck. It has a collar that does not spin with the chuck. So you can pull the drill down into the work and have a tactile feedback. This is really handy for small wire sized (#60-#80) drills. In this picture I am enlarging an automatic center punch dimple with a #1 TiN coated Carbide center drill.

Very cool Adam, I really like your grinds and the plunge on the blade.

Curious about how you did your partially exposed tang there. How did you route out the groove? Also what is the story or rationale behind the shape? I know you can make a fine knife but that handle has some "squareness" to it, so I figure there is a story behind it.

-Clint
Thanks,

It is based off of the Randal Model 14 Attack. That is how they do the tang and the handle the theme of the knife.

Typically a block is taken and the groove is routed and then mounted on the knife and shaped.

I do a sandwhich technique with 3 pieces of micarta and shape the handle before mounting to the tang

fae76e1819051d6d2bcbf2299352fe16--knife-art-bowie-knives.jpg

Thanks,

It is based off of the Randal Model 14 Attack. That is how they do the tang and the handle the theme of the knife.

Typically a block is taken and the groove is routed and then mounted on the knife and shaped.

I do a sandwhich technique with 3 pieces of micarta and shape the handle before mounting to the tang

Ahh that makes sense, I knew there was a story lol. I don't know much about Randal knives but I have been wanting to look into them after a friend I met in a knife making course went on and on about them.

I like it!

-Clint

Ahh that makes sense, I knew there was a story lol. I don't know much about Randal knives but I have been wanting to look into them after a friend I met in a knife making course went on and on about them.

I like it!

-Clint
I made the original one for forum member Charlie Mike, I had a request to make another just like it.

The handle could be rounded more but as is, sure gives a positive hold and indexes well edge up or down.

On the next one I plan to shape it a bit more sexy :)

Last 2 ive done. One is fir the KITH tge other is my first sale.
.148 80crv2 walnut and desert ironwood with 416 pins
ZqrW4K1.jpg

8HmSl9p.jpg

Probably going to focus on just forging after this

You keep this up and you're going to need a "Makers Mark"!!! They both look good...:thumbsup:

Hengelo_77 Hengelo_77 beautiful job on that handle. From my first attempt at a puukko I found it nightmarish trying to keep something so rounded symmetrical. Yours looks dead on. Love the blue accent at the front too.

Had my first go at a multi material handle. Black/red G10 with rosewood laid together on a grey fiber liner. I was shooting for the 1/3-2/3 split, but I think when all finished shaping the G10 portion still came out as too big of a proportion. Blade was forged from 5160. I had plans to leave as fully brute de forge, but much of the scale blew off during heat treat leaving a mush mash of coloring. Vinegar pickled it to take off the remaining scale but leave the texture.
bf7BdRA.jpg

Sorry for no pictures, but imgur won't work from my phone anymore. I'll post one from my computer when everything is finished though.
The tool fairy delivered a new belt grinder yesterday, and today I'm building its stand and dust collection. There is a piece of 4" thick plate involved, so its my typical overkill. I always enjoy these excuses to do some fabrication work.

Back