1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by WillSwift, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Kevin McGovern

Kevin McGovern KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 31, 2015
    I just did that on my drill press. Fun ain't it?

kuraki likes this.
  2. JoshRG

JoshRG

Apr 24, 2014
    Decided to make one for myself. Of course I had to go with ironwood and micarta. :D
    [​IMG]

Jesenius, Rhinoknives1, JAM and 15 others like this.
  3. baddeal7

baddeal7 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2016
    That is beautiful.

4. AVigil

AVigil knifemaker working the grind Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Working on a fighter in AEB-L with linen micarta

[​IMG]

5. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    Thanks ! I will when I finish grinder for this jig .Now I have dilema how width to leave plate /place that will support blade .....I m done with jig only need to cut/open channel for belt so question is how much width to leave there ? I will use flat platen and contact wheel with this jig ?

[​IMG]
    I mind on width where is green line ....I m not sure that I explain good ...my English . . .. :(
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  6. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    i have no guess on how to cut the slot.

7. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    I will cut that slot , that it s not problem .I will cut with angle grinder and finish on mill . How much space I need to leave I have dilema ....part which will support edge of blade while grinding ...2 or 3 or say 5 mm ? Sorry for confusion :thumbsup:
    View of jig from above . . ..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  8. Jesse Latham

Jesse Latham

Jul 4, 2010
    Natlek, Slot the holes and make it adjustable. Jantz sells something similar for $489.00.

9. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    Well , thanks for pointing how stupid I m ;) I did that already, some day ago ........... Sometimes it is amazing how brain works....... I set up my mind that THAT slot is only for adjust jig to thickness of blade ............... Thanks , I owe you cold beer :thumbsup:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A little more work and I'm done ......... :)

[​IMG]

Tin.Man and Jesse Latham like this.
  10. ashwinearl

ashwinearl KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 9, 2006
    I got my etching machine and have been practicing marking. My first try was a big black blob. With carbon steels, I am interested in patina approaches. There was a kitchen knife forum post discussing Vinegar and black tea to achieve very dark patina. I tried some with green tea and got the dull grey typical of vinegar, then tried some black tea. The black tea ones did come out much darker. They are all splotchy after wiping them down. This is with O1 heat treated by JT.

I read about wiping with gritless silver polish between dips to even the finish out, but didn't have any. I tried automotive compound and polish and didn't seem to do anything in terms of smoothing out splotches.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. ten-six

ten-six

Mar 11, 2017
    I experimented with vinegar patinas all day Sunday. The house still stinks.

Regarding the splotches make sure the blades are clean with soap and hot water before starting. Then clean them again. Don't even think about touching the metal you're treating even if you're wearing gloves. When you take the blade out of the vinegar it should go straight to running water . These things greatly improved my vinegar patina results.

Rubbing compound evens out the finish nicely too.

12. bike4fun919

bike4fun919

May 5, 2014
    1084 and burlap micarta
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Tin.Man, E.Carlson, AVigil and 4 others like this.
  13. lanternnate

lanternnate

Nov 5, 2016
    Getting together the bits and pieces to build myself a disc grinder. It won’t be the biggest baddest machine some of you have, but hopefully enough for my simple hobby needs. 1/2hp 3ph motor, KBWA-23d VFD with reverse switch, and the Beaumont 1degree bevel disc. I’ve also got a rubber backer, some feathering adhesive, and some stacks of rhynowet paper. Up next, figuring out how to wire this thing...
    [​IMG]

Tin.Man, E.Carlson, SBuzek and 3 others like this.
  14. kuraki

kuraki Fimbulvetr Knifeworks Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 17, 2016
    Canvas or is that burlap?

bike4fun919 and Grayzer86 like this.
  15. ashwinearl

ashwinearl KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 9, 2006
    I'd like to see some of the results of your testing. What type of steel?

16. ashwinearl

Nov 9, 2006
    Is this too much ricasso showing? I am thinking the bottom one for sure is too much. I haven't glued anything up yet.

[​IMG]

17. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Yes, to much IMHO

Matt R likes this.
  18. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    When you drill hole in soft material always put under something hard if you want clear hole with no crack . I would cut that handles straight and put some nice bolster in front of them :)

Tin.Man likes this.
  19. bike4fun919

bike4fun919

May 5, 2014
    Good catch. It’s burlap.

20. ten-six

ten-six

Mar 11, 2017
    It's 1080 steel. I didn't take pics of the failures but I took some of the finish I'm happy with.

The blade was sanded to 400, HT, sanded to 600, and bead blasted. Before the vinegar bath I hit it with brake cleaner, washed it with soap and scalding hot water 2x, gloves on, gloves washed, blade washed with gloves on, then placed into a mixture of half white vinegar/half water that was just under boiling. I let the blade sit in the mixture for about 30 seconds. I took it out of the bath, gloves still on, pinching in the middle of the handle with 2 fingers and directly under running cold water. It was slightly splotchy so I used automotive rubbing compound with paper towels until I got an even finish. It took away quite a bit of the darkness but made it perfectly even so I consider that an even trade off.

The blade on top is a different design but is exactly as the experimental blade was prior to bead blasting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bottom blade is getting canvas micarta scales. I'd like to finish the scales and dunk the whole assembly into the vinegar bath. Does anyone have any experience with that?