What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

My latest in the works, a recurve fighter with a very tapered tang and a very shiny swedge.

vFnihUQ.jpg

oDHWhjV.jpg

Just finished my first attempt at damascus and started grinding only to find delamination :-/

Suggestions welcome! It's 1084 and 15N20 in a propane rich forge using regular borax. I ground each piece of steel before welding and pulled it straight out of the forge to my anvil as quickly as possible, using light-ish strikes from the middle towards the edge with a hammer with a fairly round face.

I did forget to offer a burnt offering to Hephaestus first though, so maybe that's my problem...

hGVY11B.jpg

jZDoM

I have yet to finish one. I am waiting on an etching machine to put my maker's mark on. With hope, I will move onto the next step. The funny thing is that each step I get anxious and hem and haw. I'll keep practicing something, till I get the courage to try the next step in the process and then all the knives move forward.

The latest step was heat treating a few that I hadn't sent out in my baby forge. Next step is etching, then epoxy, then handles, then sharpening, then sheaths...whew.
x0iM3fG.jpg

eyPEG5C.jpg

after cutting the block .... made a lot of dust, it is time to mount the handle! .... even the holes have succeeded well! It seems obvious and simple, but this material is really something that I do not recommend to people who are not equipped with a lot of patience and carbide drill bits.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Just finished my first attempt at damascus and started grinding only to find delamination :-/

Suggestions welcome! It's 1084 and 15N20 in a propane rich forge using regular borax. I ground each piece of steel before welding and pulled it straight out of the forge to my anvil as quickly as possible, using light-ish strikes from the middle towards the edge with a hammer with a fairly round face.

I did forget to offer a burnt offering to Hephaestus first though, so maybe that's my problem...

jZDoM

After you set the welds, how much more forging down did you do? It almost looks to me as though you got the welds set for the most part, but didn't get completed coverage with hammering after the fact, or, maybe didn't have quite even heat soaked all the way through the billet.

I got a lot done this weekend.

Working on a pair of kukris for a customer who's coming up to spend the day with me in the shop next weekend to see them get finished, or close to finished. I straightened, surface ground, tempered the spines and got the bevels on one pretty much finished.
dhSr4ke.jpg

hUNeRYV.jpg

it2cfMq.jpg

Z4hbZMo.jpg

Got my new order of taps in so did a little work on this liner lock.
EvcWH1u.jpg

o3vDB3k.jpg

I still have heat treated blanks from almost a year ago that I'd sent out to Bos in a batch, so I finished out 3 of them. The first is AEB-L with a scotchbrite finish, black cord over blue cord. The other two are 80CRV2 that were parkerized, black cord over elephant print leather.
172L2J0.jpg

6nhlVkY.jpg

Efr3MHV.jpg

8nyitUQ.jpg

Got this guy sharpened up and ready to go. It's being donated to the Enlisted Association of the Tennessee National Guard banquet.
Ez2MAFh.jpg

pN0MumD.jpg

I finally got the shop completely moved. I just finished this one. It's Nitro-V with my "coffee table" stabilized maple burl. I am really happy with the sheath. I'm finally at the point where I'm comfortable making leather sheaths and don't make as many stupid mistakes with them.

IMG_20180410_074148904.jpg

IMG_20180410_074247043_HDR.jpg IMG_20180410_144010813_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

My neighbor must know about my old tool addiction. She gave me this 1920s Myers Drill press. It needs a lot of work, but it's really cool. Who among us can't use another drill press right?
IMG_20180408_161356221.jpg

I don't post much, only a handful of knives so far, but this is probably the first knife i have been mostly happy with. My first kitchen knife and first saya. 1084 cocobolo and G10 scales. Saya and pin is purpleheart with a basswood liner polished with a mix of mineral oil and bee's wax. This one just seemed to fall into place, such an amazing feeling.

After you set the welds, how much more forging down did you do? It almost looks to me as though you got the welds set for the most part, but didn't get completed coverage with hammering after the fact, or, maybe didn't have quite even heat soaked all the way through the billet.

Hmm, yes that could very easily be the case. The initial welding I tried to flux it and get it up to temp about 3 times, but I never really went to town on it like I could have to make sure I covered every little part of it. Maybe that's what I did wrong. I may not have waited long enough and only the outside got the proper temp too. Thanks for the advice!

natlek, looks cool ! post a video once its up and running. roxport, nice job on all of it. kuraki, i am glad you conquered the spring !

Hmm, yes that could very easily be the case. The initial welding I tried to flux it and get it up to temp about 3 times, but I never really went to town on it like I could have to make sure I covered every little part of it. Maybe that's what I did wrong. I may not have waited long enough and only the outside got the proper temp too. Thanks for the advice!

Thinking about it some more I really do think that it was less about the heat and more about where you put pressure. When I first built my forging press, I naively assumed all my troubles were gone and found very quickly that if I didn't get pressure on every square inch of the billet during my welding heats, I would end up with some delaminations like yours. But instead of being very localized and surrounded by good weld, they tended to be across the billet in the direction of my press dies.

Changing to flat dies for welding that put less pressure per square inch than the rounding dies I started with, but covered more area more evenly, made that go away completely.

Back