What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

profiled the above fillet knives with my new saw, A Bauer with a swag table, lenox blades. lordy, i'll never use an angle grinder again to cut out stock removal knives! can't believe I waited this long to get this setup.

I've been looking at those. $100 for a bandsaw that I'll occasionally use seems like a pretty good deal. Also what's a swag table?

Its a table to mount different portaband saws to so that they work vertically. Lots of different flavors for different saws. Here's mine.

6gO7FcL.jpg

DaVVkJg.jpg

OtpgyIt.jpg

My daughter comes home from college when she can and helps out in the shop to make some extra $.

Very versatile tool. I don't even roll out the big bandsaw anymore for handle materials. Just up the speed on this one.

S.W.A.G
Scientific
Wild
A$$
Guess

:D

It’s a table that attaches to portable band saws in the place of the kick plate.

S.W.A.G
Scientific
Wild
A$$
Guess

:D

It’s a table that attaches to portable band saws in the place of the kick plate.
I suppose if I'd have googled swag table I'd have figured it out. I thought it was a homemade design.

Though it doesn't seem too tough to fab one up.

Its a table to mount different portaband saws to so that they work vertically. Lots of different flavors for different saws. Here's mine.

6gO7FcL.jpg

DaVVkJg.jpg

OtpgyIt.jpg

My daughter comes home from college when she can and helps out in the shop to make some extra $.

Very versatile tool. I don't even roll out the big bandsaw anymore for handle materials. Just up the speed on this one.

How many teeth per inch blade do you use 18?

Most folks recommend 18 or22. But I seem to have better luck with 14. Probably because I use it for everything not just steel. Several years back I killed one of the saws, just wore it out. I had another one that day, its that important to me, even though it was a two hour round trip.

I have the same Dewalt/Swag setup, and use 18 TPI. Lenox bands have worked the best for me. I had a name brand where half the bands in the package snapped on me after a few uses.

Finished this thing up. Not that happy with it. But its going to a buddy who is gonna build me a forge so not all lost.
S4ZA9cE.jpg

kNXLAVO.jpg

I really hate g10. So glad im out of this stuff.

I don't think it's indistinguishable. Your micarta is always ultra clean, not just shiny.
I love me some black paper micarta at 1200 grit. 6 coats of tru oil and it is soooo silky looking. Reminds me of some Japanese whachamacallit.

I'm struggling with a vinegar patina at the moment. I was using apple cider vinegar and tried applying it hot with cotton balls, soaking overnight cold, and then soaking hot, and I just can't get the nice dark, even finish I've seen on other knives. I was able to get a decent patina, but it was gray-brown and a little splotchy. I think my vinegar lost it's potency, so I'm going to pick up some white vinegar and try again after a thorough degreasing. I didn't want to create a separate thread, but any tips or tricks are welcome.

I'm struggling with a vinegar patina at the moment. I was using apple cider vinegar and tried applying it hot with cotton balls, soaking overnight cold, and then soaking hot, and I just can't get the nice dark, even finish I've seen on other knives. I was able to get a decent patina, but it was gray-brown and a little splotchy. I think my vinegar lost it's potency, so I'm going to pick up some white vinegar and try again after a thorough degreasing. I didn't want to create a separate thread, but any tips or tricks are welcome.

As I experienced, it depends much on the steel you are using. While etching O1 in instant coffee results in a slightly greyish patina, 75Cr1 treated with instant coffee gets a deep black surface.

Back