What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Looks pretty neat. I may have to pick up a set and try it out. How was it to work with?

Easy peasy. Very easy to grind. The 1/8" paper micarta liner I put on was noticeably harder to grind (relative since micarta is still pretty easy to work with) sanding is a snap. I would say similar to how G10 is to work with but G10 is likely a tougher material.

Probably less durable than the micarta but likely more than what the average person would need for anything.

The pattern will lighten up compared to what you start with.

My wife's birthday is comming up.
An enjoyable project with a relatively quick result. I hope she'll like it.
Blackwood handsanded to 12.000 grit

IMG-20190926-202748.jpg

IMG-20190926-204541.jpg

IMG-20190926-211256.jpg

IMG-20190926-220306.jpg

IMG-20190928-112213.jpg

IMG-20190928-112258.jpg

Made a water refrigerated hardening press, will put it to test with a large batch this week, I'm anxious. Also already have the itch to program a control in arduino to move it with a stepper motor :D

I love the photo with the 3D model, everything went according to plan, it only took twice the time I thought it would take :rolleyes:

Already sealed the channels and tried with an fish tank immersed pump, not a single leak!

Pablo

AY4S1qm.jpg

HXq8egb.jpg

I'm a little disappointed in you PEU. I would have expected a power feed screw controlled by a foot switch. Just kidding … nice setup.

Hmmm, Now that I think about it, a power feed quench plate would be handy.

I'm a little disappointed in you PEU. I would have expected a power feed screw controlled by a foot switch. Just kidding … nice setup.

To press foot switch is to much effort , PEU will need to hire someone to do that for him :D

Last edited:
Hey Maelstrom78,
Did Mental Co. (Carvex) ever get going again. IIRC, they disappeared a few years back. I was going to order their "Benji" scales. Who did you get your scales from?

Hey Maelstrom78,
Did Mental Co. (Carvex) ever get going again. IIRC, they disappeared a few years back. I was going to order their "Benji" scales. Who did you get your scales from?

I believe he is. His shopify link is defunct but he's active on his mentalco facebook page. I literally send a buddy there (to his shopify site) 3 days ago and his site was working fine.

Maybe he doesn't know his site is down?

I got the scales around 1.5 years ago but I follow the page on facebook and he's pretty active. A year ago or so it sounded like he had to get his head settled on a few things but I believe he came back re-energized.

Thanks!!

You mind reader... I do have everything to make it happen handy, there is only one resource I don't have at the moment... TIME

I automated many machines, so a single axis is a walk in the park, it will happen, not sure when...

To press foot switch is to much effort , PEU will need to hire someone to do that for him :D

LMAO... I like to work alone

Pablo

Hey Maelstrom78,

Ok I messaged him and he broke the site editing it. It's getting fixed but meanwhile the mentalco Facebook has the scales and he can send an invoice to pay on PayPal.

Not sure what to call this one, EDC, boot knife or mini fighter? You make the call! Anyways, about 8.5" OAL in 52100 with super tight dovetailed Wenge and Leopardwood with red liners and brass hardware. The swedge is near sharp and the edge is just wicked.
IMG_1887.JPG IMG_1888.JPG IMG_1891.JPG

I think that this is cool........eight 2.5mm copper pins peened in bronze gard , holes in gard are blind:) Next , copper or bronze pins in stainless gard or stainless pins in bronze gard .What do you guys think , I don t see so far anything like this ? Sorry , pins can not be seen on pictures .... :(
nfbsi7q.jpg

peened last one
ykar4AH.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe pin something in there that would have more of a contrast? Maybe something that will darken in an etch perhaps?

It is only on pictures.... I can see them clear and every minute they become more visible .Pictures are taken just after grinding them ....I think tomorrow they will be more visible , this is 40 grit finish ,when I finish it will look better I hope .They look very cool to me :)

Digging around in my reject drawer I found these two "cowboy" knives. These were a couple of the first ones I tried to make. They were pretty messed up but after looking at them I thought "Hey, I can fix these". So for all the new knife makers don't throw your rejects away. As you gain experience many of them can be saved and that's a good feeling.

CB0001-e.jpg

Back