What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by WillSwift, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Stromberg Knives

Stromberg Knives strombergknives.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 3, 2015
    Thank you very much! It was my first time working with elforyn, and I like it a lot. :thumbsup:

Storm W likes this.
  2. timos-

timos- KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 22, 2012
    some devin thomas raindrop and amboyna.
    [​IMG]
    also an ironwood handle coming along.
    [​IMG]

john april, Bamph, FOG2 and 9 others like this.
  3. timos-

timos- KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 22, 2012
    Now its time to wrap this one up next couple of weeks...[​IMG]

Bamph, john april, seanj and 13 others like this.
  4. DustinY

DustinY KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 29, 2016
    Just wow...

5. John mc c

John mc c KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 23, 2018
    Some great knives on the last couple of pages guys.all well done

Jason Volkert and ten-six like this.
  6. DanF

DanF KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 17, 2017
    Finally got back to this one, I had posted pics previously when I was welding the bolsters on. I like this material for family, but would not use it for a knife to sell until I see how it holds up with use n abuse.
    PhotoPictureResizer_191126_170325172_crop_964x406.jpg PhotoPictureResizer_191126_170244166_crop_1002x392.jpg
    Long way to go.

7. HSC ///

HSC ///

Nov 7, 2012
    john april, Bamph, Busto and 9 others like this.
  8. kmf600

kmf600

Jul 2, 2018
    [​IMG]

Thought I'd like the contrast more, but the guy I made it for likes it.

I guess it's just a little plain. Maybe next time I'll make the black insert more offset or diagonal.

E.Carlson and Jason Volkert like this.
  9. Willie71

Willie71 Warren J. Krywko. Part Time Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 23, 2013

Those are just amazing! Whoever gets those will have the highest performing kitchen knife they could ever own.

Coy Ranch and HSC /// like this.
  10. ten-six

ten-six

Mar 11, 2017
    Diagonal for sure.

Jason Volkert likes this.
  11. Busto

Busto KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 26, 2011
    Looking Real Good...I used to feel the same way about "Mother of Pearl" on slippies, but the more I built the more people wanted MOP. The people buying them were aware of the care and handling, but they were not abusing those particular knives more of a Sunday go to Meetin' Gentleman's pocket knife.

Willie71 and DanF like this.
  12. HSC ///

HSC ///

Nov 7, 2012
    z wear pettys

[​IMG]

13. Cushing H.

Cushing H. Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2019
    pretty Petty. (sorry ... could not resist... :) ). What are the bolsters made of?

14. HSC ///

HSC ///

Nov 7, 2012
    wenge, then white G10, then lacewood

15. kdnolin

kdnolin Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 16, 2017
    very nice!
    Do you hand sand the z wear?

16. HSC ///

HSC ///

Nov 7, 2012
    I lengthwise grind what I can. Then I hand sand. But I don’t remove all the opposite scratches. And the customers know this up front. It’s too much work. It’s too difficult and you can’t recover your time.

I Hand sand what I can and then I stop.

Storm W, Willie71 and kdnolin like this.
  17. Cushing H.

Cushing H. Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2019
    Nice. Thanks

18. Willie71

Willie71 Warren J. Krywko. Part Time Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 23, 2013
    I see z-wear is becoming a staple in your shop. Once you use it, it is very hard to give up that performance. You won’t get the super fine polished edge of hitachi white, but it’s so close, and holds that edge so much longer.

19. Willie71

Feb 23, 2013
    I am up front too. Most get scotch brite. At least with kitchen knives, you can grind lengthwise. I have some VSM ceramic belts in up to 400 grit. I’m going to try the norax ceramics up to their equivalent of 700 grit to see how they work. People don’t buy this steel for it’s prettiness. Making a z-wear knife takes as much work as a damascus knife.

20. HSC ///

HSC ///

Nov 7, 2012
    Well mostly because it’s efficient to work in batches of the same steel etc.
    so I heat treated them all at the same time and might as well get into the grinding mindset all at once :)

Willie71 likes this.