Test ad

What's so great about Barlows?

waynorth

Dealer / Materials Provider
I don't believe the two are correlated. One could have all the knowledge in the world and respect the pattern and still find it unattractive. Asking why you find it attractive is just a conversation starter and that is partly why we are here, conversations about knives.
I disagree with you, Jiki Jiki , but the real issue here is HOW to start a friendly conversation!!
Suppose I started with; "I think your kid is ugly!! You should have had a nicer looking one!!:p
And your knife sucks!!"
You'd probably be disappointed and insulted!!:cool:
But you know I would never do that, because I know you love your kids (if you have any), and your love for your knives is unmistakable!!:eek:
And I like your opinions on BF!!:D
I'm old, and I can say what I want, but I prefer to make and keep my friends!!;)

Will Power

Gold Member
I can help fix that...

hVJM4wI.jpg

That's an old Battleship :cool: Unsinkable :D

I disagree with you, Jiki Jiki , but the real issue here is HOW to start a friendly conversation!!
Suppose I started with; "I think your kid is ugly!! You should have had a nicer looking one!!:p
And your knife sucks!!"
But you know I would never do that, because I know you love your kids (if you have any), and your love for your knives is unmistakable!!:eek:
I'm old, and I can say what I want, but I prefer to make and keep my friends!!;)
Are you really going to equate giving my opinion about a certain knife pattern to
insulting your son? LOL

Augie

Gold Member
History, hundred and hundreds of years, one of the oldest patterns out there that has stayed around because they are strong useful everyday easily pocketable, inexpensive but not cheap, a workingman's knife.
The bolster, large and a perfect canvas for advertising from a simpler time, Tip Top, I*XL, KeenKutter, Diamond Edge, XX, and on and on, a Barlow collector could go his whole life and not find every example.
They can be simple or fancy but even the simple ones with a plain bolster and aged saw cut bone can have "The Look", been there done that and ready to continue doing what a good pocket knife should.

IMG_0046.jpeg IMG_0776.jpeg IMG_1873.jpeg IMG_2243.jpeg

Jiki

Gold Member
And your knife sucks!!"
Ah, yes manners (or the lack there of) are also not correlated to knowledge or opinion. For I have seen some of the most learned people also be the rudest and some lacking in a formal education be the most polite. Unfortunately that scenario is more often the rule rather than the exception.
While elder statesmen like yourself waynorth waynorth and Jack Black Jack Black were raised in a generation with proper emphasis on manners unfortunately that has been lost over time, only to be amplified in the online space we all tread.
While I agree the initial post lacked in tact I don't believe it's intent was that of an insult (I could be wrong). I also believe Jack's response, the internet forum equivalent of "stay off my lawn", does not help anyone either 1. Become more polite or 2. Learn about the knives we all like so much.

Oh, and no one insults my daughters, I'm the crazy, ugly guy with all the knives after all.;):D:rolleyes:

And some knife content for Will Power Will Power . One of those nasty barlows with shields.;)
ab5wpES.jpg

LastRodeo

Platinum Member
I don't like the small lady leg knives, but I collect the large version. They are remarkably similar to a 5" Toothpick which I also collect. Oh yes, I also collect Barlow knives. The Barlow was my first knife purchase as a youth, and it is still kicking around somewhere.
This is a good point.. I don't like the toothpick pattern, but I don't really feel the need to understand why someone else does like it, as that still won't change my opinion if it. Calling it ugly can be insulting to someone that does like it though.

glennbad

Knife Moddin' Fool
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I wasn't a big fan of the barlow pattern in my younger years, but I have come to appreciate and actively collect them now. I have more than a handful now, and have all you enablers to thank for it! I mean, how could you not like an old clunker like this?

nccam34.jpg

That being said, I understand that some may not like the pattern. How does the saying go, "There's a butt for every seat?"

As to some of the additional chatter in this thread, knife collectors can be very passionate about their hobby. Many will take negative comments about a pattern or a manufacturer as a direct personal insult. For example, I never got the whole Case Russlock thing, but I would never disparage the pattern or those who like it. For those that think people are over-reacting for taking things like this personally, perhaps there is more to the story. Maybe their dad carried the pattern, or it was their first knife they owned. Just food for thought when you post.

That's what makes the knife world so compelling. So many different patterns, blade styles, handle materials to choose from. There's something for everyone!

Jack Black

Gold Member
Ah, yes manners (or the lack there of) are also not correlated to knowledge or opinion. For I have seen some of the most learned people also be the rudest and some lacking in a formal education be the most polite. Unfortunately that scenario is more often the rule rather than the exception.
While elder statesmen like yourself waynorth waynorth and Jack Black Jack Black were raised in a generation with proper emphasis on manners unfortunately that has been lost over time, only to be amplified in the online space we all tread.
While I agree the initial post lacked in tact I don't believe it's intent was that of an insult (I could be wrong). I also believe Jack's response, the internet forum equivalent of "stay off my lawn", does not help anyone either 1. Become more polite or 2. Learn about the knives we all like so much.

Oh, and no one insults my daughters, I'm the crazy, ugly guy with all the knives after all.;):D:rolleyes:

And some knife content for Will Power Will Power . One of those nasty barlows with shields.;)
ab5wpES.jpg

Thank you for the kind words :) I didn't really want to get involved in this thread, but my point was that there have been numerous new threads opened over the past few weeks, with very brief opening posts, which in my opinion, would be better posted as a comment in an existing thread. Don't like Barlows? No problem, there's a longstanding Barlow thread where you can say that. Likewise, with many other topics. Many simple questions can be answered by using the 'search' function, and reading older posts, without posting a new thread :thumbsup:

Jiki

Gold Member
Thank you for the kind words :) I didn't really want to get involved in this thread, but my point was that there have been numerous new threads opened over the past few weeks, with very brief opening posts, which in my opinion, would be better posted as a comment in an existing thread. Don't like Barlows? No problem, there's a longstanding Barlow thread where you can say that. Likewise, with many other topics. Many simple questions can be answered by using the 'search' function, and reading older posts, without posting a new thread :thumbsup:
I agree thank you for clarifying.

E40

Gold Member
I commented over in the GEC thread about Barlow's.

I have never been a fan, always preferred a trapper or stockman type knife. I have nothing against them and tried to pick one up, to no avail.

My grandfather, who was a big influence on me, always had a Barlow and on the occasion I used his, just never like it as much. They do have a great and storied following and deservedly so.

Misplaced Hillbilly

Gold Member
Are you really going to equate giving my opinion about a certain knife pattern to
insulting your son? LOL
The manner of how you give your opinion is crass, you titled your thread with the question "What's so great about barlows?". You then just stated your opinion that they are unattractive, which for yourself is a valid opinion. However you answered your own question with a curt answer that didn't leave allot of room for friendly discussion. I also feel that posting a question in the regular barlow thread along the lines of "I don't find barlows particularly attractive,what do you guys find so appealing about them?" would have sufficed. But a new thread was started so I contributed with a picture of some barlows that I feel look nice, my response was supposed to be taken tongue and cheek. I'm open to discussions and differing view points, but if I start a conversation with "Spyderco knives are the ugliest knives ever made" I wouldn't expect very many warm and fuzzy responses. o_O

Last edited:

JohnDF

Gold Member
I admit, when I first came to The Porch I wasn't the biggest fan of the Barlow knife. I didn't see anything wrong with them but I had just never really carried them before. But after spending some time here, learning more about the pattern, and seeing the lovely pictures you all post, my love for the pattern has grown a lot. Of course my love of many other patterns has grown too. This place is dangerous. ;)

Old Engineer

Gold Member
Maybe it's just me but the Barlow is the most unattractive
pattern made.
Now that many people have responded to your feelings for a Barlow , maybe you have the intestinal fortitude to tell us which knife , or knives , you do find attractive . Or are you just going to pass some gas in the elevator and get off ?????

Harry

Frailer

Gold Member
I have tremendous respect for the Barlow pattern as a knife meant for use by a working man (or woman) and built to a reasonable price point.

While I don't find it off-putting, I do find it curious that some present-day manufacturers have taken this humble, generally roughly-finished knife and turned it into something fancy. But sometimes fancy is a good thing.

Now that many people have responded to your feelings for a Barlow , maybe you have the intestinal fortitude to tell us which knife , or knives , you do find attractive . Or are you just going to pass some gas in the elevator and get off ?????

Harry
My favorite pattern is the Trapper and followed by the whitttler and I won't get my panties all
in a wad if anyone else doesn't like either of these 2 patterns.

LastRodeo

Platinum Member
My favorite pattern is the Trapper and followed by the whitttler and I won't get my panties all
in a wad if anyone else doesn't like either of these 2 patterns.
I'm sure you are familiar with the term "internet troll". The troll likes to get a rise out of people, that is their entertainment. If that doesn't describe you, try to be a bit less confrontational in your posts.