What's with all the Hinderer XM-18s for sale?

Well, I can definitely say that mine will not be going up for sale. This one is a keeper. It also screams "USE ME". As such, this one is going immediately into rotation. I'm also diggin' the bowie blade. It works for everything from cutting to digging out splinters from your fingers (used it last night for that).

Well, I can definitely say that mine will not be going up for sale. This one is a keeper. It also screams "USE ME". As such, this one is going immediately into rotation. I'm also diggin' the bowie blade. It works for everything from cutting to digging out splinters from your fingers (used it last night for that).

It is a good thing that I dropped mine. I wasn't sure if I should baby it but the drop on hard concrete helps me out with my decision making. It will now be a user alright, not just for slicing paper and carton boxes.

The only question I have now is which hardware to get? I was thinking copper stand-offs, but then I saw some copper-titanium stand-offs. Any advice would be appreciated. Do the copper stand-offs dull at all?

Copper will definitely tarnish, but I reckon that's part of the charm of the material. I've left mine with the original 17-4PH Stainless hardware because IMO it's one of the reasons I chose an XM-18 in the first place. I may go with bronze anno. Ti standoffs &/or LBS at some point but the screws and nuts are staying 17-4PH.

Also I reckon I'm lucky because I never expected CRK level quality with my RHKs. I bought XMs because I believed (and still do) that the design seems like it is likely the toughest folder for the money. Apparently not many can tell, but as far as f&f it is not comparable to a CRK but they both certainly have a place in my rotation!

I would avoid Hinderers.For the price, whether $795 last year or $425 this year they do not flip worth a dime OOB.Heck, Zts, Kershaws & CRKTs all do at a much better price.

I would avoid Hinderers.For the price, whether $795 last year or $425 this year they do not flip worth a dime OOB.

The one I have flips fine.
I didn't even bother learning the technique people were talking about.

Can't speak for the knives others have, but the one I got is recent production, and does what it's supposed to.:thumbup:

I would avoid Hinderers.For the price, whether $795 last year or $425 this year they do not flip worth a dime OOB.Heck, Zts, Kershaws & CRKTs all do at a much better price.

Mine flips just as well as my ZT560. No special technique requires. It's the latest generation.

What was true in December 2013 doesn't seem to be so true now.

My old XM-18 3" 20CV from the Summer of 2013 is not much of a flipper although I can make it open that way. I can also open it via thumb studs and inertia. Fast forward to April 2015 and my brand new XM-18 3.5" 20CV. Very strong detent and excellent flipping action. However, it's impossible to open it via either thumb studs or inertia.

I don't know if they have all changed to the stronger detent since earlier this year and there may still be a wide variance from one sample to the next. If at all possible, it's best to go to a retail outlet and personally give them a spin.

My old XM-18 3" 20CV from the Summer of 2013 is not much of a flipper although I can make it open that way. I can also open it via thumb studs and inertia. Fast forward to April 2015 and my brand new XM-18 3.5" 20CV. Very strong detent and excellent flipping action. However, it's impossible to open it via either thumb studs or inertia.

I don't know if they have all changed to the stronger detent since earlier this year and there may still be a wide variance from one sample to the next. If at all possible, it's best to go to a retail outlet and personally give them a spin.

If you're in Canada, opening by inertia makes it a prohibited weapon. Stupid law, but it is what it is.

If you're in Canada, opening by inertia makes it a prohibited weapon. Stupid law, but it is what it is.

You can always tighten the pivot enough to defeat inertia opening. Then, you're stuck purely with thumb stud opening.

You can always tighten the pivot enough to defeat inertia opening. Then, you're stuck purely with thumb stud opening.

That's why having a strong detent is important. Mine is so strong, you can't really use the thumb studs but man does it flip!

If you're shipping a knife to Canada, it's a good idea to tighten the pivot screw anyway.

Last edited:
I am new to knives and thought that I would like to own a Hinderer. Finally bought an XM18 3.5" spear point from Knife Center for $475 and I have no idea what makes it so great. I have a Spyderco PM2 and a ZT 0560 Hinderer design which served me well for a lot lesser. Maybe could someone explain to me and help me see what makes the Hinderer better than say a ZT?

Hey man. I think we talked a few times over on candlepower forums! How's it going

word.... my non flipper 3" 20CV has a very weak detend which is excellent when using the thumb studs, but if this knife had a flipper, it would suck.

my 3.5" skinner is a gen 4 and man that think flips super nice. I cannot use the thumbs studs on that one, but that doesn't bother me because I bought it primarily as a flipper.

Agreed, particularly since Rick upped his production and introduced new models. But if someone picks up a Spanto or a Slicer and they're complaining about a weak pivot, it's probably because they don't understand how the knife was designed to be opened.

Hey man. I think we talked a few times over on candlepower forums! How's it going

Hey bro! Nice to meet you here in BF too! New to knives and feeling all thrilled lately with my new preorders and purchases. I hope this interest will last. Haha!

Back