What's Wrong With Me?

Just got this about 30 minutes ago:

IMG953166.jpg

First reaction: HOLY crap that's a lot smaller than I expected. After spending about a month of looking at pics I guess I imagined it larger in real life. I am going to give the 3.5" a chance and that will probably be my casual EDC but the 3" is indeed a great EDC because it doesn't get in the way of anything and would be alright in an office setting. The 3.5" spanto will be more of a work horse and comfortable outside of work EDC.

CRAZY sharp, probably the sharpest knife I own it seems.

EDIT:
Also cant seem to open it using the flipper without flicking my wrist.

just ordered this exact same one. can't wait.

They are a Nice EDC.

at first I thought I wanted a 3.5 but for what I do (drive truck 48 states) it's not legal everywhere. The 3" is outside of a couple select places, NYC, Chicago, etc. oh and I'm outdoors a lot with the general public so bright scales are a plus.

at first I thought I wanted a 3.5 but for what I do (drive truck 48 states) it's not legal everywhere. The 3" is outside of a couple select places, NYC, Chicago, etc. oh and I'm outdoors a lot with the general public so bright scales are a plus.

Great choice. I've deployed my 3" XM in many public places with nary a glance my way. It's a perfect EDC. I just added an Orange scale for the same reason. It makes it seem more like a "friendly" knife than a "dangerous" one in my opinion...

Great choice. I've deployed my 3" XM in many public places with nary a glance my way. It's a perfect EDC. I just added an Orange scale for the same reason. It makes it seem more like a "friendly" knife than a "dangerous" one in my opinion...

basically same thinking, orange will be the next one I get. I ordered a flamed Ti investigator pen as well as the XM so might have to wait a bit lol.

I find myself wanting to add a 3" Spanto grind into my collection. I have never held one in person, but they just seem very stout and strong. The funny thing is, as I stated earlier, I don't really need something more beefy than the slicer, but I still WANT it! What I would also like is a stonewashed Ti scale, but at $200 they are quite pricey.

I find myself wanting to add a 3" Spanto grind into my collection. I have never held one in person, but they just seem very stout and strong. The funny thing is, as I stated earlier, I don't really need something more beefy than the slicer, but I still WANT it! What I would also like is a stonewashed Ti scale, but at $200 they are quite pricey.

Admitting "Want" -vs- the more popular couching as "need" is a healthy thing.
The Spanto is indeed a "Beefy" offering and I freely admit - my personal Favorite.
I have slicers in 3" and Spanto in 3.5" and 4".
Enjoy! One of each is a good place to start;)

I'm wanting a 3" Spanto too. But it'll have to be "luck" at the lottery in November at the JC knife show!

All this "wanting" begs the question: how do you guys go about getting your hands on Hinderers? Do you haunt the exchange? Do you keep an eagle eye on the authorized dealers? Or, are you LE/Mil and able to buy direct?

eagle eye on authorized dealers here, a couple sites get one in like clockwork about once a week. Lately been non flippers so when I saw the flipper tonight I pounced. Might have to go to the exchange if I ever decide to get a 3.5 down the road.

I'm wanting a 3" Spanto too. But it'll have to be "luck" at the lottery in November at the JC knife show!

I wouldn't hold your breath, the recent production run of 3"s were all Slicers I believe but you might get super lucky if Rick custom grinds a 3" spanto to take to the show, that would be a great snag. I could be mistaken but that is my recollection.

I have a Gen 2 production 3" spanto from the first run, nifty little XM.

I wouldn't hold your breath, the recent production run of 3"s were all Slicers I believe but you might get super lucky if Rick custom grinds a 3" spanto to take to the show, that would be a great snag. I could be mistaken but that is my recollection.

I have a Gen 2 production 3" spanto from the first run, nifty little XM.

The solution is kind of in this post. If you want a 3" Spanto...seek it. We have no way to know what's to come from the Ranch. 3" Spantos exist, happy hunting. And good luck.

The solution is kind of in this post. If you want a 3" Spanto...seek it. We have no way to know what's to come from the Ranch. 3" Spantos exist, happy hunting. And good luck.

Sure, seek away, but don't count on a Hinderer lottery to find it which was my point. Hinderer Knives didn't produce 3" spantos in the recent run, they were production slicers. I did leave a glimmer of hope that you might be able to get a 3" custom spanto if Rick grinds one.

Indeed, 3" production spantos do exist, they were produced a while back, you will likely have to look to the secondary market to find one, good luck.

Last edited:
Sure, seek away, but don't count on a Hinderer lottery to find it which was my point. Hinderer Knives didn't produce 3" spantos in the recent run, they were production slicers. I did leave a glimmer of hope that you might be able to get a 3" custom spanto if Rick grinds one.

Indeed, 3" production spantos do exist, they were produce a while back, you will likely have to look to the secondary market to find one, good luck.

Exactly my point.

It' going to be slightly easier to find one that exists than be lucky enough to score a potential one.

When I got my first 3" production, I didn't love it. I much preferred the 3.5" for some reason or another. Several knives (and XM-18s) later, I ended up with a custom XM-18 3". In my opinion, it's the perfect size, and I probably won't ever be selling this one. I love it.
front-open.png

Back