What's your favourite knife/knives in 5"-7" range?

Love the looks of that Tankbuster. I have a feeling that if I could get hold of one of these, it would complete my needs (INFImandu, Tankbuster, Hellrazor). Of course, not complete my wants, but that's another story...

Of course, not complete my wants, but that's another story...

Hahah :D can our wants ever be completed?
I have never stopped or taken my thoughts serious when they tell me "ok this is the last one, it is getting ridiculous now".

I think the quest for completion is the addiction. Not the actual hope of finding completion.

Thanks man!

I'll have to get a worksharp or spyderco and try it on my schrade. It came with a pretty horrible edge and is even worse after getting some use around the house. So it couldnt get much worse haha

Mate,

Just decide on one sharpening system and stick with it!
Best thing is to learn (build up muscle memory) to freehand sharpen, then you've got all sorts of stones, and diamond plates, and ceramic or diamond rods that you can use on everything and everywhere. Hell, even a found river stone will do the trick.
Up until some years ago, when guided sharpening systems were introduced, folks got by with freehanding for few thousands of years, and they did it without knowing the exact angles of the edge. I'll paraphrase Rob Stanley from his MOAB sharpening vid 'I don't know what angle the edge is, but if I get my knife sharp it does the job'.

Last edited:
+1 for free hand sharpening. First off i bought a spyderco sharpmaker then a month later decided to buy some water stones, never looked back. I'm now very skilled at free hand sharpening and my blades are extremely sharp...if i run my thumb or finger down the edge of any of my blades after a good sharpen and stropping i can't feel anything, my finger sweats then bleeds..

Awesome thanks guys
Any good recommendation on some decent water stones?

Ill start with my cheaper knives to get a hang of it before i even think of touching up my more expensive knives.
Living in Aus with the US exchange rates makes it difficult owning a lot of good quality blades and i sure would not even dream of ruining them due to inexperience

Awesome thanks guys
Any good recommendation on some decent water stones?

Ill start with my cheaper knives to get a hang of it before i even think of touching up my more expensive knives.
Living in Aus with the US exchange rates makes it difficult owning a lot of good quality blades and i sure would not even dream of ruining them due to inexperience

I use a cheap $30 150 grit stone from ebay for massive edge damage that has only happened once (not a Busse knife). Can also use this low grit for reprofiling the edge but i have never done that

Mainly i use a "soft" Arkansas stone (think its like 800 or 1000 grit) for touch ups and a 8000 grit "professional" Naniwa stone (the one with the lobster picture on it) for finishing. After that i just strop. All you really need to do is strop the knife after use and you will never have to resharpen..

I have heard good things about DMT diamond plates but never tried them.

Take your time, stay consistent with the angle when sharpening and practice on some crappy knives. Also do some research on sharpening to make sure you technique is correct before jumping right in. Have fun!

Love the looks of that Tankbuster. I have a feeling that if I could get hold of one of these, it would complete my needs (INFImandu, Tankbuster, Hellrazor). Of course, not complete my wants, but that's another story...

Thanks Rockspyder, Ya, It pretty much fulfills anything I need in that category, but would love to give it a skinny ash and sfno to play with. Once they're hanging I would want to add a fat ash and a squash.

Thanks Shepard.
ASH1 is up there on my most wanted list for sure. Perhaps Jerry will do a re-run one day soon :D

I agree Garth. Satin Jack Tac is one cool looking blade. Should re-release it one day :D

ICKYTHUMP- So the Tan Handle HG55 is not Mill Over run, Just a Large CBT Version ?

The 55 w/ the Lg corrugations has tiger hide scales...just a lousy pic.

The 55 MO has the corrugations stopping 1" or so from the tip...leaving it full thickness.. Its on my list.

The 55 w/ the Lg corrugations has tiger hide scales...just a lousy pic.

The 55 MO has the corrugations stopping 1" or so from the tip...leaving it full thickness.. Its on my list.

Nice blades Icky. The Mil overrun is on my list also

I have added a second hg55 to my collection since this thread started. I'd like to add a tank buster in this size range also

Back