What's your oppinion

What's your opinion on the best survival/outdoors knife for under 160 dollars? Plus, what's your favorite knife and why

Fallkniven F1. Probably not "best" for everyone but works for me.

This one has been the only fixed blade I've used outdoors for 15 years. No complaints on its performance.

eqz7zr.jpg

You may not get many answers, since the question has been asked many times, and answered many times on these forums. Best to read and use the search function first, then provide a more specific scenario, use case, etc :) Are you talking light camping for a weekend? Or packing up to Alaska 500 miles from civilization type use for 'survival'... (and again, most of these will have been answered in the past on the forums ; -)

I think Tops and Esee make good knives that can be used outdoors.

Last edited:
I’ve seen the fallkniven A1 slip under $160 once or twice. Get it with a leather sheath and you could probably be fine with this knife alone in a survival type situation under just about any circumstances.

For that price you can grab a full range of excellent tools.
Becker, Esee, or Ontario large fixed blade
Marbles, Imasca, Tramontina, or Condor machete

I'd say this is the best value going on an outdoors fixed blade today.

Mora's are great but I don't like the grind.

The first half of your question has waaaayyy too many answers and is much too personal in what someone would choose. :rolleyes: The second, however, is pretty easy. :) Find a maker and design your own knife (mine are certainly my favorites); you may have to add a few bucks but you will have just what you want (within your budget) and the pride of having mentally put it together. :cool: TA-DA!

A Esee 4 or 5 would serve you well.

Favorite knife Hinderer XM-18 ergonomically perfect in every grip very well made and customizable. Very good looking too

how about an ontario sk5 black bird don't own one but looks like a real winner anyone have one that can comment?
I was just gonna tell this young man--the OP that is--to head over to the knife connection and build either an okc or esee of his choice.

For me, I was lucky to claim an outdoors knife made of 1095 clay quenched (nice hamon), clip point, 3D sculpted handle g10 with incredible ergos, bohi, perfect snapping pancake kydex sheath and more for $110; do not expect the same as this is darn near untouchable. A guy backed out on the maker, it was sitting in his garage, and I got lucky.

'Favorite knife' is too broad here, but it's all good you're 18 and tons of stuff to learn here...

Other than that, my opinions are facts lol. :rolleyes:

The Moras n stuff are great knives, and great recommendations for starting in a low price range. Here's the $110 beast

28889346498_091c1cd1fa_c.jpg

42045695004_b41686fa2c_c.jpg

Last edited:
I was just gonna tell this young man--the OP that is--to head over to the knife connection and build either an okc or esee of his choice.

For me, I was lucky to claim an outdoors knife made of 1095 clay quenched (nice hamon), clip point, 3D sculpted handle g10 with incredible ergos, bohi, perfect snapping pancake kydex sheath and more for $110; do not expect the same as this is darn near untouchable. A guy backed out on the maker, it was sitting in his garage, and I got lucky.

'Favorite knife' is too broad here, but it's all good you're 18 and tons of stuff to learn here...

The Moras n stuff are great knives, and great recommendations for starting in a low price range. Here's the $110 beast

Gotta know who made that, especially for $110!

I would recommend the Tops Tex Creek, or one of the Viper Knives fixed blades.

Under $160, the Kabar Becker BK-15. Over $160, my current two favorites > Bark River Wilderness Adventurer and Dozier Pro Guides. Both around $300. I just got the Barkie, and looking forward to using it and it will likely become my one and only general woods knife/survival knife. I just haven't been out in the woods in a month.....

Hard to beat a reliable Victorinox One Handed Trekker for a woods/survival knife (folder).

I think Tops and Esee make good knives that can be used as outdoor knives.

I'm actually 12, just really into nice knives and being outdoors. I'm thinking about the tops screaming eagle too.

What's your opinion on the best survival/outdoors knife for under 160 dollars? Plus, what's your favorite knife and why
My first thought was the Cold Steel SRK in 3v, but I'm not big on fixed blades so I had to take a look to see what was available... It's the Cold Steel SRK. I love the krayex handles, 3V is a beast and that knife will take a beating.

It may not be the best at any specific task, but it's one hell of an all around knife.

Back