What's your oppinion

I'm actually 12, just really into nice knives and being outdoors. I'm thinking about the tops screaming eagle too.
Welcome to the forum. We need some young blood and perceptions around here. Have you looked at the Kabar Becker BK-7? The ESEE 6 is also a good one. If you want smaller, the BK-16 or ESEE 4. All well under your budget.

Some of the Cold Steel stuff isn't bad actually. I just am not a fan of Cold Steel products.

Welcome to the forum. We need some young blood and perceptions around here. Have you looked at the Kabar Becker BK-7? The ESEE 6 is also a good one. If you want smaller, the BK-16 or ESEE 4. All well under your budget.

Some of the Cold Steel stuff isn't bad actually. I just am not a fan of Cold Steel products.
I have looked at the bk 7 and liked it a lot. Then I went to bass pro and bought the bk2 instead. Very happy with it though. Only complaint was the sheath.

I have looked at the bk 7 and liked it a lot. Then I went to bass pro and bought the bk2 instead. Very happy with it though. Only complaint was the sheath.
I am not a fan off cold steel either. Id rather spend more for something high quality instead of something cheep.

The BK-2 is just "too much knife" for me. (I have one.) I like the BK-7, but a 7" blade is pushing it in terms of what I am comfortable carrying where other people might see me with the knife on my belt (unless it's a machete). (Yes, I have a BK-7.) Some of the Condor stuff might interest you. For me, 5-6" blades are the sweet spot for a general purpose woods knife as long as the steel isn't too thick. Take a look at Creek Stewart's video on choosing a survival knife. I like his style generally and he is very practical.

There are other young folks here.

Last edited:
Bk2 is nice, but the 9 is the king! Ontario has quite a few blades made of 5160 spring steel, cheaper than most Becker knives, but should stand up to harder use due to the lower carbon content and other alloys present. If you like the bk2 you might love the rd6 or 7.

Swamp Rat 'Ratmandu' is just under $160.

SR101 steel (mod 52100 with the Busse family heat treat, one of the best heat treats available for hard use knives) so very tough and good edge holding, perfect steel for a survival / field knife that will get beaten on. Will rust, but doesn't seem to rust nearly as badly as regular 52100. Handle is very comfortable. 5" blade, 3/16 thick.

At that size blade, the Ratmandu is hands down my favorite knife.

y3As5iV.jpg

I believe the LionSteel stuff is just within your budget as well. They make good stuff! Check out Collectorknives and DLT for Lionsteel stuff.

"Survival" knife is a very vague marketing term, usually to push an over engineered, over built product on a bunch of Robinson Crusoe wanna-be's.

Since you are 12 I'll gonna tell you what the pros know and understand.
Straight fact is ANY knife becomes a survival knife if you are lucky enough to have it with you at the time you get into an emergency situation. It is all in how you utilize it in the given situation.

In the "typical" survival situation, you are presumed to be lost in the outdoors somewhere. You have 3 priority concerns Water, Shelter, and Food. Food is always last of the priorities because you can go for weeks without it. With water, you'll only last at best a week - but you will be incapacitated well before that. If you are in the desert, you may only last a day or two without water. If you find yourself caught in a blizzard outside, shelter is your first concern because it will kill you the fastest. You need to find or create shelter and a fire fast. If you are in the desert, water is you top priority, but get under some shade while you try and figure out how to find or save water.

The big thing is learn the skills and the mindset to survive. Learn how to build a fire, what you can use for shelter, or collect water. You should be able to do all of that without a knife if you have to. Those who can remain calm and creative in a survival situation are the ones that get out of it alive.

As to the knife, my advice is to save the majority of your money now, and get a inexpensive, quality knife like a Mora Companion. It will cost you about $20 tops. Then learn how to safely use it, and how to take care of it. Learn how to sharpen it freehand. Use that perfectly capable knife to help you learn the skills you would need in a survival situation. Use it to quickly and effectively build a fire. That means collecting and processing tinder, and kindling. Knife will help you get it ready, but it won't tell you what to look for or where to find wood or other fuel that is dry and will accept a flame. Again, knowledge is more important. Use your knife to make a fuzz stick or two so the fire catches quickly and well. Learn how to use that knife with flint or ferro rod to build a fire without matches. (other rocks will cause sparks besides flint- learn them) No rocks around to create a spark? You're gonna need that knife to build a fire bow or if lacking a cord for the bow part, make a "fire drill" and spin it in your hands to create the friction needed to make an ember and nurse it into a flame. None of this is easy, particularly the first time you try it. Learn it now so you can do it when you need to.

A skilled man with a butter knife has a better chance than the clueless guy with a Loveless or Randall. knife. If you just buy a "survival" knife and fail to have the knowledge and skills to actually use and apply it when needed - well - you can easily end up being just another dead greenhorn who had a really nice looking knife with him when they finally found him dead.

He already has a BK-2. I'm not sure of what size a knife he has in mind and I think he is thinking of something a bit "fancier" than a Becker. But I could be wrong. The same thinking would apply to a Mora knife.

For some do-it-all knives, do yourself a favor and pick up a Becker. Easy peasy to sharpen and tough as nails!

ydZNWyR.jpg

hopEHEP.jpg

qvzxHHe.jpg

uJY0FRP.jpg
Nice... how are you liking the BK21? I've been on the fence for a while...

To the OP... I'll say a Becker (BK10 or 7), which I like a little better than ESEE... but the Buck, Ratmandu, or A1 will work too. Even a Cold Steel SRK (3v if possible) will serve. A Ka-Bar too.

And Marci is not so off the mark with the SAK... actually, you can get lots done with one, especially if it has a saw.

The expression that comes to mind is: nice troll. “I’m living a lie” is not an expression I expect from any 12-year-old.

ltj3IyO791U_3gAVWeje3Lkhet0O_2f0rPAbPX8GOpaVsUcdTYuZesTEHP-7nDa2LTPuw6NwIu9x-tld1SWRZN10ev3ephEfZW1VAbCm9agjhPOwGkyW4EnMT1KCDlq7IxuJzYw8KjWUjnzKRtkdukQqXc0eQRSA_2Tf2RVa2XznsqB3iv7KvkGvznCUQ-BuFxSgaumFQhPHNE4DVcDauT37j7wxVQr52dSDajOy_ZC7A374L06ejOdWD8C18LaHaASKZg4r9ff5fTp7A3sLWCbCplZtJA488gq6ZepYT3_RVV40aKq_yWZW8tC2KZK5xQNI6j8ryx-C5mdgaT7Skm4xMsnkenofn34a1icnND660xQYfnwPNC1WmbLr8FrAoe7JcMPlvBq4JdAiXl8X1YAJU_5tYW3ZJgViqivj9K9ei00dfGpCZTn82Gb4zHefp88m-AR72H-NNGk_bjMg-MeW8ct1d9Ntp-RlE-KNGGRo8aquZqh6ZAXXmf89vz2-WAhM3s5NUK4Fg-T2sZv_ECooCFQMMQCgJ2QRkdaPb1x7cgPw7rWkJQUPUd9H3sA-TiYmoOGGe_XAaMI2aqXI2Jt-wARObNcCsdm3okw=s250-k-rw-no

The Esee 6 is one of my favorites for outdoor use.
But I also like my Esee 5, 4, 3, Becker BK7, Spyderco Bushcraft UK....
So many great knives available.

Nice... how are you liking the BK21? I've been on the fence for a while...

To the OP... I'll say a Becker (BK10 or 7), which I like a little better than ESEE... but the Buck, Ratmandu, or A1 will work too. Even a Cold Steel SRK (3v if possible) will serve. A Ka-Bar too.

And Marci is not so off the mark with the SAK... actually, you can get lots done with one, especially if it has a saw.

I'm loving it! It was a my work chopper for a while, but has been retired to woods duty along with my other large choppers!

You have to be 18 to get in.
I chuckle at this actually. When I was a kid, I lied my age at 15, to 17 turning 18 to work summers in a factory. I needed money and I was willing to work. Work I did. I didn't even have a driver's license. Can't really do that anymore.... Worked every summer during high school and college at the factory. I just had to remember what birthdate I used... ;)

... It may not be the best at any specific task, but it's one hell of an all around knife.
That is essentially my take on a general woods or survival knife with a 5"- 6" blade. Pair it with a folder and you're pretty well knifed up. You can make the same argument with something like a BK-9 or even larger blade and it just depends on what you're comfortable carrying and how you carry in the woods/outdoors.

You should probably fondle a few Cold Steel knives at a store as my experience is they are very sharp. But my experience is limited as I just generally don't look to Cold Steel products to fulfill my knife buying urges in general.

Last edited:
Back