1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Whats your pocket knife pet peeve?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Wunderbar, Nov 9, 2019.

1. South paw draw

South paw draw Yep.....I'm a idiot. Platinum Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Dude. Were you the captain of the debate team in high school? Or do you not understand the word No? And the words he doesn't want to answer you? He doesn't want to "kick any tires", and he doesn't want to buy any Chinese knives. Just let it go man. Five people have already piped in to try to make it crystal clear. As of now no one has been rude about it but your pushing it pass a civil point. For all that is holy man please just back off. If he wants to buy nothing but American made knives please respect his decisions. I do. And he respects mine to buy all countries knives. Hes not saying "you suck for buying Chinese made knives." Hes simply saying he doesn't. End of story.

JD Bear, JupiterPaladin, sv4 and 10 others like this.
  2. jlauffer

jlauffer Dissident Aggressor Platinum Member

Apr 11, 2016
    They aren't depriving themselves of happiness if being made in China makes them inherently unhappy...it will always be in the back of the mind.

Example: I am a big Cold Steel fan, and started collecting them just out of college in the mid-90's. Always wanted a Black Bear Classic, which is a sub-hilt fighter tribute to Loveless, but couldn't justify the cost. Well, at some point in the late 90's I think, I got a flyer with a special sale on a batch of Black Bear Classics that were made in Taiwan (this was way before CS actually moved production there, must have been a test batch or something). They were less than half the price of the Japan version. So I bought one because I loved the design, and was somewhat happy, except for the fact that it said Taiwan on the blade. A number of years later I was able to buy one of the Japan models and sold the Taiwan one. I will admit that putting them side-by-side, it was impossible to tell the difference, but it always bothered me, and I am more happy to have the Japan version. I will also admit to owning a few CS folders that are made in Taiwan, but they aren't available otherwise, and Taiwan isn't that bad. But some people, myself included, really have an issue with China, and that's their choice.

3. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Or maybe, no one owes you an explanation (which is what you're demanding, no matter how many ways you attempt to obfuscate this) as to why they do or don't want something. Pretty simple logic. What does it matter what someone deprives themselves of? It really seems to matter to you a great deal. Some people don't like chocolate. Is an explanation required there also? "But, I mean....whhhhyyyyy don't you like chocolate? You're really depriving yourself of"I DON'T CARE, MAN."

Criminy.

4. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    We're doing cat pics?:D

Screenshot_20191107-154445_Gallery~2.jpg

@sabre cat , even if @South paw draw 's AD-15 sells you're welcome to check mine out...just remind me next time we all get together:thumbsup:

Oh, I hate thick edges and low grind height :mad:

LowKey, Ripcord 82, JDRanger and 3 others like this.
  5. South paw draw

Sep 23, 2019
    That's the "ninja" cat. You know its there but you can't see it. True story.

6. South paw draw

Sep 23, 2019
    Another pet peeve is non-knife people and barbaric knife laws. Both need to find a rock to craw under.

7. Chronovore

Chronovore Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Wow. First, I was no longer addressing Quiet in my last post. I was directly responding to someone else and discussing the general issue. Second, some people actually have been rude. Third, who is it that's brow-beating a guy for trying to explore a concept here?

I'm sure it was a joke on your part but I actually was involved in a college debate team. I was in charge of maintaining Roberts Rule's for the SGA. I have spent time on public forums and "town halls" IRL. I wouldn't expect anything so rigorous here. However, I did expect discussion here to be on par with what I've found through fellowship in other hobbies, sports, clubs, fraternal organizations, or even the local pub. I was wrong. I've already apologized for those expectations and I had already left poor Quiet alone, so you can put down the metaphorical torches.

So for you, any possible joy of use would be stacked against knowledge of where it was made. It would act as a constant reminder of the issues you've got with China and appreciably spoil that joy of use for you. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I suppose we could ask why anything matters. Why do we discuss anything here? What does it matter what your knife peeves are, or your preferred EDC steel, or your favorite camping knife? I'm not demanding anything. I've simply asked some questions. You know, discussion? You've got an apparently strong opinion on something but refuse to explain or discuss it. Okay. I stopped asking you. So please, relax.

Back to the regularly scheduled program; I'd agree with barbaric knife laws as a peeve. The widespread prohibition on automatic knives is a case of logical flat tires.

8. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    I don’t know what’s worse the arguments or the cat pictures but I’m done with this thread.

9. South paw draw

Sep 23, 2019
    Agreed. But I'm ok with the cat pictures.

10. Night Rider

Night Rider Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Anything sarated,Coated blades, Weak detents on flippers, Stiff pocket clips with little to no ramp, and non recessed pocket clip screws that eat up the seam of my pocket.

JDRanger likes this.
  11. Cosmodragoon

Cosmodragoon

Jan 1, 2019
    Between the arguing and the cat pics, things really got out of hand here! The Wikipedia link was a nice touch though. This is supposed to be a friendly discussion! Let's all imagine this as our favorite saloon. Have a beverage. Relax. We can all discuss the issues without getting defensive.

I suppose I do owe Quiet an apology. My point stands but it wasn't polite of me to call his post "weak sauce". I'm sorry. If this were real life, I'd buy him a beer.

Meanwhile, I'll also hop on against bad knife laws. They make as much sense as some of the restrictive gun laws out there.

12. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    I don’t see a problem with a few cat pictures but, maybe someone should post a picture of a Puma brand knife.

Maybe that would help get things back on track.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  13. palonej

palonej Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 5, 2015
    C61933BC-2ED3-4348-81DC-A0CAC4EBA927.jpeg C3AC948C-88B8-432F-874F-7A0088458057.jpeg E7633FA3-A88C-432B-8B8F-DCE2E5B83E0A.jpeg How bout dog pics??

xraso, JupiterPaladin, Quiet and 10 others like this.
  14. Mecha

Mecha Titanium Bladesmith Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013
    *towns hall

IBTL

danbot and WValtakis like this.
  15. trevitrace

trevitrace Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Quiet, LowKey, palonej and 3 others like this.
  16. CoryMc

CoryMc Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2016
    9E4B6FE4-F5FA-40ED-ACED-06788FC8772D.jpeg

17. sabre cat

Jul 4, 2014
    Dog pictures? There goes the neighborhood.

Quiet, palonej and Ripcord 82 like this.
  18. sabre cat

Jul 4, 2014
  19. marcus52AR

marcus52AR Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2014
    20191112_155753-2241x3984.jpg

danbot, gotgoat, LowKey and 2 others like this.
  20. Ripcord 82

Ripcord 82

Feb 15, 2019
    I agree and since I was the guy that started the cat pictures,here is my Puma with an apology to the people who are irritated by the cat pictures. This knife is probably older then some of the people here but it has flaws that I learned to dislike such as the over exaggerated clip point and the low hollow grind and it developed some blade play from my throwing it into trees when I was young, hate to say I'm now 72 but life goes to fast and it is shorter then one might think. There is a lesson here...love those cats for they are more loyal then people.
    [​IMG]

JupiterPaladin, Quiet, danbot and 3 others like this.