What's your telltale way of knowing sharp?

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Not to crack open that complete can of worms, as there are tons of threads about how to sharpen a blade along with how to test for sharpness. But one thing that I seem to always fall back on is a quick and simple check to see if I have the edge fully to an apex shape and that's how well it press cuts down on paracord.

If it is sharp, it parts the paracord easily without any extra effort on the spine of the blade, IF the edge is not sharp, even if it slices paper cleanly or shaves hair, the very edge can still not part the paracord cleanly without some extra effort.

My friend @Matthew Gregory has a video showing some paracord FLYING apart as it is being cut with a freshly sharpened blade, I still think he some how inserted small springs inside the paracord as I have yet to duplicate such a feat ;)

But, if an edge has the tiniest bit of roundness at the apex area, it will just dent the paracord, so for me, this has lately been my 'test' to see if I have the blade done.

I don't have a video of my doing that, but I did have this video showing opening a folder one handed and then slicing cleanly down through some paper, it's a Boker folder and lemme tell ya, it is one sharp cookie!!!

So, what are your benchmark ways of knowing you are done with sharpening a blade??
G2

Last edited:
Yes, arm hair, I've told this before but it's still funny, during one hunting season I had a lot of knives to sharpen for friends at work, a lot, and my entire left arm from shoulder to knuckles was bare, completely bare....my wife did not notice until one day I folded my arms across my chest as we were standing waiting on something and she saw the stark comparison of one bare and one hairy arm...she made me PROMISE to never do that again and...I have kept that promise....I have never completely shaved my arm since....not completely :)

Also she did not care that I told her as an 'Merican I have the Right to Bare Arms....did not go over so big :)
G2

Normally: check with the thumbnail while sharpening.
Check for shiny spots on the edge with a bright light when the whole edge catches my thumbnail.
Then slice a piece of whatever junk mail is laying around to make sure the edge is good.

I find paracord to be a good test as well. I've definitely had to touch up an edge I thought was good and sharp
when trying to cut neat ends to finish a lanyard or fob. IMO, without neatly cut ends you wind up with a melted gob of junk for the end of a lanyard when you fuse the ends.
I've also had a knife nearly refuse to cut a piece of paracord before a few passes on the microbevel and then it cut cleanly.

By inspecting the edge under a bright light, either a flashlight or the sun if it's a sunny day. Oh, and the usual paper-cutting, shaving... But I'm trying to shave less as I'm not particularly hairy and I worry about the day where I really run out of hair. Haha.

When I first.picked up my billystrop by Stropman R.I.P., It opened my eyes to a whole.New level of sharp. It also led to all my extremities being hairless. Not a hair could be found on my arms or legs. At this.point I can tell by how the.blade feels as I pass it along the strop! So I now.have hair in all the usual spots!

Back