What's your telltale way of knowing sharp?

Looks high tech
G2

I’m low-tech and not very skilled at sharpening.

The three “tells” of knife sharpness:
1. Band aid
2. Butterfly Bandage
3. Sutures

I’ve heard rumor of a mythical fourth “tell”, but it involves a severed finger in a bowl of ice.

I hope it stays mythical.

I use newspaper. I don't get real scientific with my sharpening and I don't need my knives to be extremely sharp for my uses. If it passes my newspaper test then it is more than sharp enough for my uses.

I've noticed that newspaper has a grain- it will tear easily in one direction but not as easily the other direction. Likewise it will cut easily one direction but not the other. I hold a piece of paper in my had and slowly slide off small strips along the edge. I don't push hard into the paper, the test is to see if the edge will bite in without much force. Along one edge it is fairly easy for the edge to bite in, along the perpendicular edge it will be real hard for the knife to bite in. If it does bite in then it is really sharp.

Fingernail or a plastic pen to see if the edge will catch are good quick checks to do
I have also done the back of the head hair check
G2

When it can cut free hangin paper towel, receipt paper or telephone book paper or for kitchen cutlery it will cut a tomatoin less than 1/8" slices with little to no drag.

20200824_225217-L.jpg

Socom%20on%20WE-L.jpg

1) Feels sharp to fingertips
2) Slices newsprint with no snags
3) Shaves arm hair
Funny thing about arm hair as a test medium: hair thickness tends to vary with color. So an edge that shaves black hair might still struggle with blonde or red.

1. Checking the "bite" or stickyness on my thumb skin. I feel for how the edge sinks into the skin. I also use the palm skin as well. Now my palm has a lot of parallel lines.
2. Cutting kitchen paper towel. The edge should glide through with minimal slicing motion.3. Cutting tissue or toilet paper. No tearing.
4. Leg hair tree topping.
5. Hair whittling.
6. Free-hanging tissue paper cutting.

I also use the fingernail test occasionally but do not trust it much because I found that a nice flat edge by running it on a stone perpendicularly can still catch fingernail.

I can normally achieve #5 or #6 after sharpening and touch-up the edge when it starts to fail #3.

Ever have a blade that you got nice and sharp that you tend to use another knife to keep that one as an “Edge Queen”

Laughed at this, Gary. I've worked so hard a couple times on getting a "perfect edge" that I thought... "Dang, I ain't usin' this bastid"!

But I did anyways, what the heck.

I usually know the knife is sharp when it starts sliding effortlessly and frictionlessly down the final stone of the Sharpmaker.

I am rarely disappointed in the performance of the edge after getting to the "feels sharp on the stone" stage.

Lol ya glad to bring a smile

And I do about the same thing as well

As my sharpening ability grows it makes me think about knives I used to own an like to have again to see how it would cut now
G2

Like a lot of folks here, I’ve always been satisfied with testing using the thumbnail grab, leg or arm hair shaving, and cutting newsprint clean.

I’ve made a few knives unnecessarily stupid sharp over the years, mostly just to see if I could, but it’s not practical to try to keep them that way.

What stones are you using on your wicked edge to get the knife to cut free hanging paper towel?
I recently got the 2200 / 3000 diamond sharpeners and I usually finish with them before stropping on leather with .5 micron DMT diapaste. I am looking at getting the WE microfine ceramic sharpeners and the 0.125 cubic boron spray for stopping, but I am probably getting carried away.

I’m low-tech and not very skilled at sharpening.

The three “tells” of knife sharpness:
1. Band aid
2. Butterfly Bandage
3. Sutures

I’ve heard rumor of a mythical fourth “tell”, but it involves a severed finger in a bowl of ice.

I hope it stays mythical.
This right here. Scars to prove the method is effective!

Back