When Emerson Says Hard Use, He Means Hard Use...Many Other Brands Don't Survive

This wild man from Russia must be former KGB, with a fat Swiss bank account, 'cause he puts many pricey folders through his version of "enhanced interrogation"....

[video=youtube;TEevz-fh7cU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1421828030&v=TEevz-fh7cU&x-yt-cl=84411374#t=1266[/video]

I subscribe to his videos. That guy takes those knives and puts them through hell.

I'd love to see how well the Bulldog fares ;)

I actually use the sharp end of the knife to cut with, not the spine. A lot of knives fail when you strike them as hard as possible on their only vulnerable spot. I never understood the point of such tests but that's just my opinion.

What happened to the ZT? I tried skimming through cuz I can't watch a whole 20 minute video in a different language.

Not at all, he was trying to keep the blade unlocked so that the "spinewhack" would not put undue pressure on the liner lock and the pivot.

Looks like it was locked before he whacked it to me. Don't get me wrong, I am not faulting the knife at all because the knife wasn't built to withstand that and it's abuse of the lock.

Just curious, would an extremely forceful stab in a combat situation, in an attempt to penetrate Level IV ballistic plates for example, have a similar effect of shock on the mechanism as would a spinewhack?

What happened to the ZT? I tried skimming through cuz I can't watch a whole 20 minute video in a different language.

From what I saw the coating didn't hold up well at all and the tip was pretty mangled after the metal puncture test.

Looks like it was locked before he whacked it to me. Don't get me wrong, I am not faulting the knife at all because the knife wasn't built to withstand that and it's abuse of the lock.

Just curious, would an extremely forceful stab in a combat situation, in an attempt to penetrate Level IV ballistic plates for example, have a similar effect of shock on the mechanism as would a spinewhack?

I'm with ya on that. Not sure what OP saw but the blade was definitely locked out.

That may be a good test for someone with some steel mesh gloves and a hefty wallet!

I think the guy in the video demonstrated that quite well by stabbing into the steel sheets - the Emerson had no issues and penetrated further than the ZT with less damage to the tip. I own the 350 and am hoping to start of my Emerson collection soon with the CQC7 b in the video (not that one though!)

Huh? Did you say he spine whacked it unlocked? Lol wrong. Some of his videos have a spread sheet on Google documents. It shows what each knife scored in each test, Emerson failed every spine whack. Read it. Most every liner lock would fail, so nothing against emerson. Only lock I can think of that can be spine whacked without fail or damage is the triad lock. And despite what some people think about testing lock up with a spine whack some very prominent knife makers agree its a good test of lock geometry when done within reasonable force, which the guy in the video was NOT using reasonable force.
Not at all, he was trying to keep the blade unlocked so that the "spinewhack" would not put undue pressure on the liner lock and the pivot.

I've seen the video and I think the only reason the lock failed was because it was a brand new knife and had extremely early lockup. I've done spinewhacks, over strikes and batoned with an Emerson just to see what it could take, and it failed none of those tests. Dumb I know, but it didn't hurt the knife at all so it's not a big deal.

Back