where do we do the next challenge?

I almost want to say- get deeper into the stats. of course, a larger sample size would help with that, but even n=5 you can have some fun.

Christof, I think we could have a fun conversation on this stuff, but yeah, there are limitations. The rule of thumb is 5 times the replicates for every group and dependent variable which quickly becomes impossible. Still, in the realm of multivariate states, the real power is in its ability to reduce dimensionality and make broad inferences across a set of covariates. Does any of that really nail down which is the best knife? No. But it just might point out to Tonym that he has an unhealthy and unfounded fondness for scandi grinds :D :D :D

Wait...the words "fun" and "statistics" being used in the same conversation? No habla crazyspanol.

Christof, I think we could have a fun conversation on this stuff, but yeah, there are limitations. The rule of thumb is 5 times the replicates for every group and dependent variable which quickly becomes impossible. Still, in the realm of multivariate states, the real power is in its ability to reduce dimensionality and make broad inferences across a set of covariates. Does any of that really nail down which is the best knife? No. But it just might point out to Tonym that he has an unhealthy and unfounded fondness for scandi grinds :D :D :D

Well, for real stats I'd have to dig out the books- I run my own analyses of everything I run across that's health or politics related. But I'm honestly closer to a hyper conservative bessler "sample 50, double, subract 8" estimate style for daily use.

Working with more variables is always interesting and it's one of the things I do in my pile of notes on health topics- there's so damned MANY variables being missed. The most basic one is not differentiating types of exercise when analyzing LC, VLC, paleo, and related diets. Once you add in sustained heart rate, max heart rate, frequency of intervals, VO2max- it gets much more fun!

All of which will already have melted Jcav's chest hairs, so someday, we'll have a beer and talk :D

If the blades make it to SoCal, I'm down for helping Jason (Jcav) with the reviews just as long as he keeps his shirt on.

I would scream sexism here, yknow. But no one would believe in the purity of my convictions.

Socal is sounding good- Jason, Wilde- yall could use a few more (christian is probably out since he wants to make one). Two is a start, though.

Task list? Is this survival specific, camping specific, ....? -No, Jason, cleaning belly buttons is not allowed to be on the list

Judging means you get to decide.

I still think a camp cooking or camp kitchen blade would be an interesting. Something optimized for food prep but still sturdy enough for some other stuff.

I still think a camp cooking or camp kitchen blade would be an interesting. Something optimized for food prep but still sturdy enough for some other stuff.

It is likely the next challenge, as far as I would know. It was between kitchen and neck knife, and I am preferring neck first. Of course, it is still open for discussion.

Yep! I think the proposed list in any given order for the next 4 is necker, urban, camp kitchen, and ksa (heavy chpper)

Quick question, would I still be able to enter if I don't make my sheaths. I have a kydex and leather guy that makes my sheaths for me. I would help him design it if that would help.

Quick question, would I still be able to enter if I don't make my sheaths. I have a kydex and leather guy that makes my sheaths for me. I would help him design it if that would help.

I don't see a problem with that. There are quite a few people out there that don't make their sheaths. As long as the knife is done by you, I see no issues.

I own a couple of Chris's (KFU) knives and think the testers would realy like the quality of knife this young maker is putting out.

The last challenge had plenty of sheaths not made by the knife makers.

I do think that, due to the nature of neck knives, the sheath should play a larger role in this challenge compared to others. If you're going to hang a knife upside down above the boys then the sheath better be damn good.

I do think that, due to the nature of neck knives, the sheath should play a larger role in this challenge compared to others. If you're going to hang a knife upside down above the boys then the sheath better be damn good.

So just to be clear JCav, when you hang a neck knife around your neck, you use a cord that is long enough to hang the knife all the way under your shirt and into your pants? Does that mean that when you remove the knife from its sheath, you have to reach through your fly to access it? What happens when you are wearing a bathing suit? Do you need to reach in from your leg? :D :D

So just to be clear JCav, when you hang a neck knife around your neck, you use a cord that is long enough to hang the knife all the way under your shirt and into your pants? Does that mean that when you remove the knife from its sheath, you have to reach through your fly to access it? What happens when you are wearing a bathing suit? Do you need to reach in from your leg? :D :D

First, I'm not bendy enough to do all that awkward reaching (no matter how much you wish I was). Second, I'm far too classy a guy to respond to this (even though I just did). :rolleyes: Third, now you have to live with the image. :eek: :D

Im not that young Tony, I just look it. Robbing the cradle does wonders to how others perceive you!
Chestnuts...thats freaking funny!

Back