Where do you see the Trail Master San Mai III being in the near future?

You know, I'll have to look again. I have a new production Master Hunter coming (allegedly in VG-1 SM III and still Japan made) this week as well. I'll post some photos of both in this thread this week/weekend and you can tell me. 🤘
I'm also curious if the specimen you received has the new CS logo that they started using during 2021.
Although both of my San Mai Trail Master specimens were purchased during 2021, neither had the new 2021 markings.
Looking forward to your photos 👍

You know, I'll have to look again. I have a new production Master Hunter coming (allegedly in VG-1 SM III and still Japan made) this week as well. I'll post some photos of both in this thread this week/weekend and you can tell me. 🤘

I'm also curious if the specimen you received has the new CS logo that they started using during 2021.
Although both of my San Mai Trail Master specimens were purchased during 2021, neither had the new 2021 markings.
Looking forward to your photos 👍

OK, here we go. Pardon the shop lighting... I tried to get things people might be interested in.

I think I'll keep them both. Only gripe is on the TM... there is some plastic? from perhaps tongs or a vise insert to the right of the logo on the blade. I was upset at first, thinking perhaps the back of the snap on the sheath had etched the blade. I got most of it out with a microfiber just rubbing it WITH the grain of the polish. That, and the spine has a few nicks and scuffs/scratches; big enough to stop your fingernail running down the spine. I'd complain, but the price was right, and this knife is going in the Jeep anyway. I bring it up because some folks might be buying one to collect, so you might look it over good before throwing it in the safe and forgetting about it. The site I bought it on as free returns, so consider where you buy yours perhaps.

Both are perfect (to my eyes/for the price) otherwise. I prefer the cheapo nylon/cordura sheath to the plastic sheath for the TM; plastic is fine MH, so I'm happy there as well.

i-TK5MvDH-4K.jpg

i-RmjbS8j-4K.jpg

i-Rbq8vPN-4K.jpg

i-J7LTjv5-4K.jpg

i-RTvWWDh-4K.jpg

i-dScHprV-4K.jpg

i-fJKvWTL-4K.jpg

I see several companies selling them for a late January arrival. CS says out of stock, not sure if they are keeping up with what is discontinued in their ad though.

OK, here we go. Pardon the shop lighting... I tried to get things people might be interested in.

I think I'll keep them both. Only gripe is on the TM... there is some plastic? from perhaps tongs or a vise insert to the right of the logo on the blade. I was upset at first, thinking perhaps the back of the snap on the sheath had etched the blade. I got most of it out with a microfiber just rubbing it WITH the grain of the polish. That, and the spine has a few nicks and scuffs/scratches; big enough to stop your fingernail running down the spine. I'd complain, but the price was right, and this knife is going in the Jeep anyway. I bring it up because some folks might be buying one to collect, so you might look it over good before throwing it in the safe and forgetting about it. The site I bought it on as free returns, so consider where you buy yours perhaps.

Both are perfect (to my eyes/for the price) otherwise. I prefer the cheapo nylon/cordura sheath to the plastic sheath for the TM; plastic is fine MH, so I'm happy there as well.

i-TK5MvDH-4K.jpg

i-RmjbS8j-4K.jpg

i-Rbq8vPN-4K.jpg

i-J7LTjv5-4K.jpg

i-RTvWWDh-4K.jpg

i-dScHprV-4K.jpg

i-fJKvWTL-4K.jpg

Thanks for posting these! Yes, it is as I suspected. Any of the Cold Steel knives that are still made in Japan still have the old Cold Steel logo. I noticed this when I bought an Urban Pal and a Super Edge last year. Both are still made in Japan and both still have the old Cold Steel logo. That is awesome, because in my opinion, the old Cold Steel logo is by far the best and most collectible.

I agree. But what knives will actually be produced/available for purchase in 2022 (covid shortages) ?
Yeah, I mean it's nice to see that their catalog looks like one that would have been done up when Lynn was still the owner... The truth is, I pretty much picked out what I wanted from last years issue, so I have no plans to buy anything from this new catalog of theirs.
Last year was definitely a pretty sizable Cold Steel shopping spree I had went on 😊

Btw, I do see that the TM san mai is in the 2022 catalog, but I see no mention of it being Japan made. Could the new ones for this year be coming from Taiwan in VG-10 San Mai, (but maybe without the convexed blade)?

Btw, I do see that the TM san mai is in the 2022 catalog, but I see no mention of it being Japan made. Could the new ones for this year be coming from Taiwan in VG-10 San Mai, (but maybe without the convexed blade)?
I am pretty sure (without looking) that the Cold Steel catalogs, new and vintage, usually don't say in the text where the knife is actually manufactured.

I am pretty sure (without looking) that the Cold Steel catalogs, new and vintage, usually don't say in the text where the knife is actually manufactured.
That's pretty cool that Hattori made Trail Master bowie knives have survived the first round of the new GSM ownership 👍
I would have bet money on them doing away with them, and I sure would have been losing some money on that bet! 😅

On a related note... As I have said elsewhere on this forum board, while I am not impressed with GSM' new 2022 products, I am quite pleasantly surprised that they kept the core of the CS products in their new full 2022 catalog.
The Japanese/Hattori made San Mai Trail Master, is likely not Cold Steels cheapest product to obtain for it's line-up, and yet GSM has chosen to keep it going. They could have easily went with making them in Taiwan, like all the other San Mai knives they currently offer, and likely save themselves some money in doing so. Yes, they likely would lose the convexed blade feature, (likely going to full flat grind), but could gain by being switched to VG-10 San Mai over the current VG-1 San Mai. My understanding is that San Mai VG-10 is a premium over the VG-1 used in the Hattori made Trail Master.

In any case, the CS 2022 catalog still represents what we usually see as being Cold Steel.

While we may not agree with some of the decisions GSM has made concerning Cold Steel... I really don't see the drastic change in the company's core product line.
I really thought that the changes and cuts would be many, and now with the new catalog out, I feel that my worries of the old Cold Steel firm going DoDo Bird in 2022, is not at all the case.
That doesn't mean that GSM can't, or won't, run CS into the ground, but I just don't see that happening in their 2022 catalog.

Again, I'm not impressed with their new products list... But, I am pleasantly surprised to see their full 2022 catalog being what it is 👍

Last edited:
The one thing item that I was sort'a surprised in it still being in the new 2022 Cold Steel catalog, is the Chaos Push Knife. I believe it was a true lemon for them. But, I say sort'a surprised because I realize that they likely had so many that they had contracted out to make for last year, and that some of that still is trickling in their way, and it obviously still has to be sold off. I imagine that they won't place any new contract orders for them when their original contract numbers have been received by them.
Heck, I even seen some being sold at just over $20 at one online vendor's website, clearance pricing them to likely move inventory of them out.

Japan, Taiwan or Ch ?
The VG-1 San Mai Trail Master Bowie knives that Cold Steel has been selling up to this point, have been made in Japan by Hattori.
Could that change now during the 2022 year?... I guess it could, but up until now, buyers are still reporting them as being made in Japan, (and still with the convexed blade).

It surprises me that CS's catalog does not tout them as being Japan made and having a convexed blade, which are usually considered great selling points.

Last edited:
BTW - widening POV a bit
Japan made Cold Steels are not made anymore yet !
India and South Africa made Cold Steels too !

Some are still available
only because stocks at warehouses/retailes aren't fully deplenished yet ...

BTW - widening POV a bit

Some are still available
Are you saying that the Japanese made San Mai Trail Master has now indeed been discontinued?

Also, that the India and South African made products are now discontinued too?

If so, then that means that once these inventories get sold off, the Cold Steel lineup will be extremely slimmed down! 😱
It would basically mean that a big part of CS' 2022 catalog are discontinued items that are only being shown to help sell remaining stock/inventories/and final production runs! 😱

Please elaborate on your info... And maybe what your source was for this information? Thanks! 👍

Btw, if what I think you mean is true... That would be a huge change in Cold Steel!
But... With all the delays that CS had in getting their contracts filled during 2021, I could see them having to place those products in their 2022 catalog, (even if some are in fact discontinued), since they still have those 2021 contracted products still trickling in.

Still, this would be such a huge change! 😱

Last edited:
BTW - widening POV a bit

Some are still available
Yes, please do let us know your source of information regarding no more Japan made Cold Steel knives (Trail Master).

Back