Where do you see the Trail Master San Mai III being in the near future?

What is the source of this information? In regards to the Trail Master made in Japan.

Both the Master Hunter San Mai III and the Trailmaster San Mai III are still made in Japan and bear the original Cold Steel logo that was used for most of Cold Steel's history. The Master Hunter is an insane deal. Not only super collectible, but the QC was really high on the one I bought. Steel is well tempered and came hair shaving sharp. I really want to get the TrailMaster as well before GSM ends production there.

Both the Master Hunter San Mai III and the Trailmaster San Mai III are still made in Japan and bear the original Cold Steel logo that was used for most of Cold Steel's history. The Master Hunter is an insane deal. Not only super collectible, but the QC was really high on the one I bought. Steel is well tempered and came hair shaving sharp. I really want to get the TrailMaster as well before GSM ends production there.
Yeah I was asking Zulus where he heard that Trailmasters WEREN’T still being made there.

I didn't realize san mai Trailmasters were still made by Hattori in Japan. Great news. That'll be the next knife I buy.

if it says made in japan, then it is still being made by Hattori. The question is whether it says made in japan or Taiwan. I haven't bought a TM in quite some time. Even if made in Taiwan it will be a great knife. But I would prefer Japan made just because it is a Hattori design.

I think it's a really nice knife, but I don't think it's the right steel for it. Seems like a knife that should be in Carbon steel or CPM. I did like my San Mai Trailmaster, but I sold it for this reason.

I think it's a really nice knife, but I don't think it's the right steel for it. Seems like a knife that should be in Carbon steel or CPM. I did like my San Mai Trailmaster, but I sold it for this reason.

I think that SanMai is one of the trademarks for the Trailmaster, considering that japan has been heavily involved. I would take a san mai blade over a 3v blade simply because I know seki japan makes awesome knives.

Well, when you consider san mai was specifically designed for hard use and there is a whole host being used, I think it works. The falkniven A1 has one heck of a reputation, and it is basically an oversized SRK.
out of these 9 knives of mine 5 are sanmai, all the same basic design. All made in japan except the mtech and the old carbonV TM made in the usa.

g4MazBi.jpg

But isn't San Mai III basically 440C laminated over a harder steel core? Not that 440C is bad, but I don't see it as a hard use steel.

Don't get me wrong, the quality of my San Mai Trailmaster was top notch, and I still regret selling it. And the Falknivens are made by Hattori in Japan as well. Or at least were back then.

But isn't San Mai III basically 440C laminated over a harder steel core? Not that 440C is bad, but I don't see it as a hard use steel.

Don't get me wrong, the quality of my San Mai Trailmaster was top notch, and I still regret selling it. And the Falknivens are made by Hattori in Japan as well. Or at least were back then.

Sanmai is like plywood. Which is stronger a half inch pine board or a half inch plywood. Plywood. I know its not an exact relation but a laminated blade should be stronger than a blade made of the parent steel.

As far as I know, all versions of CS San Mai have 420J2 outer layers. The original had an AUS8 core, then VG-1, then VG-10.

Yea, I think that sounds about correct. I have some Japan Recon Tantos in San Mai III and they are VG1 cores I believe. Then when they moved production to Taiwan they went to VG10. I like the Japan knives better, they seem to have better quality, but the one Taiwan version I had was fine as well. I thought the outer layer was always 440C though.

Yea, I think that sounds about correct. I have some Japan Recon Tantos in San Mai III and they are VG1 cores I believe. Then when they moved production to Taiwan they went to VG10. I like the Japan knives better, they seem to have better quality, but the one Taiwan version I had was fine as well. I thought the outer layer was always 440C though.

Its always been 420j2, as far as i can remember

Its always been 420j2, as far as i can remember
That's a little disappointing because it's softer than 440C. But looking at them, I can see how it can be 420. 420 has that weird gloss about it.. hard to explain unless you've seen it enough times.

That's a little disappointing because it's softer than 440C. But looking at them, I can see how it can be 420. 420 has that weird gloss about it.. hard to explain unless you've seen it enough times.
With the original being an AUS8 core, which is like 440B, 440C outer layers would actually be harder than the core.

Huh...so it's got the stainless guard?

Brass would have been cool. Also noticeably different than other steel renditions.
I assume so. It's highly polished steel of some type. It is also a bit over-ground, but not a deal breaker for a knife so thick.

Incredibly sharp out of box!

I just really like how the brass tarnishes over time and adds to the character of these knives.

You want tougher. The lower carbon makes 420 much tougher than 440c. 440c would be bad outer steel choice. 420 is good and tough
I always thought 420J can never retain an edge. and in my experience many years ago I found that to be true.

Back